Discussion: Ar Tonelico English vs. Japanese

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Reyvatiel Misha
Captain

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2008 9:11 am
I will start by saying that I haven't played the Japanese language version of Ar Tonelico, so my opinions are only based off of the dialogue bits when you change the audio to Japanese on the US version of the game.

Please keep in mind that I'm not one of those crazy people who absolutely REFUSES to watch anime/play games with English dubs. Certain series that show up on TV, yes, but some I actually prefer to watch in English. Example: I love Tales of Symphonia in English, however I would still rather put on the Japanese voice track playing a fighting game such as Soul Calibur II.

These are also my own personal opinions. I'm not trying to force anyone to agree with me just because I founded the guild. Really, the guild belongs to us all ^o^

Characterization changes that I noticed are:

- Misha becomes less kind/pure hearted and more SPUNKY in English. She's seductive yet really immature in English in her child body, whereas she just sticks to being scared child Misha in Japanese. Then again, I'm sure that has to do with the 'diving' innuendo.

- Orika is definitely more out-going no matter what in English. She seems more afraid to stand out and do things for herself in Japanese. In English it appears that she warms up to Lyner/the group very quickly. She also has a typical shy girl voice in Japanese. Especially when she says "Something's Strange" in English. . . does that sound like she's shy/lacks self confidence/thinks she's no good? Not likely.

- Lyner is a cocky guy either way, but "Mission completo da~!" and "YAY I WON~!" (WHEN THE FREAKING REYVATIEL FINISHED THE BATTLE~!) is very different. He's also more of a WHINER in Japanese whereas you tend to focus more on his courage/dedication in English. I just found myself paying more attention to him being all "WELL OMG WHAT CAN I DO ABOUT IT??? =(((((" In Japanese.

- Kruche shows less of her feminine side that is hiding beneath her tom boyish exterior. She's also much more passive, as if she really doesn't give a crap about anything in Japanese. She seems more united with the English team/cast even when she doesn't have a lot of dialogue.

- Jack is still a shady guy over all, but amazingly I see him as MORE of a pervert in English. Personally I sort of thought that maybe Jack and Lyner should switch voices in English???

- Radolf, some how we loose the over all idea that he is associated with the church in the English version while in the Japanese it's easier to understand that the things he says in battle are linked to his 'religious beliefs'

- Shurelia/Ayatane seem much cooler in Japanese too.

I'll probably think of more things later, but for now I feel like I've written a lot and also, my computer keeps bugging me to restart it ~o~

So what do you guys think? (I love how everyone should have access to the Japanese and English dubs, yay~!)

♥Misha♥

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2008 8:43 pm
Speaking of Soul Calibur, you might find this frightening:
http://www.gamespot.com/video/940047/6184536/soulcalibur-iv-official-trailer-4

I liked the English version of Aurica better then the Japanese, and I liked the Japanese versions of Shurelia and Lyner better then the English, as for the rest, pretty much equally.

Sorry if I sound like I'm in a hurry, I kinda am at the time. sweatdrop
I'll try and post more tomorrow.  

Palsa-San

Kalloway

PostPosted: Fri Jul 04, 2008 3:27 pm
I have the Japanese version floating around somewhere - really need to sit down and play it.

I think everyone has a different interpretation of the characters - I thought it took Aurica quite awhile to warm up to everyone.

Some of it may also be conscious decisions made by the translators - Ar tonelico was heavily touted as a 'moe' game and the exact characteristics they wanted to convey are slightly different between cultures.

(And certainly, I never lost the idea that Radolf was a clergyman - I'm a religious dunce and I still understood all of his battle dialog as part of that archetype.)

*coughcough*Srsly,opinion*coughcough*  
Sol Ciel ~ Ar Tonelico ~

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff