Welcome to Gaia! ::

Super-Happy-Fun-Time Guild

Back to Guilds

A fun place to make both friends and gold. 

Tags: giveaway, game, gold, contest, free 

Reply Contests, Giveaways, and General Chat
Deserted Island Books

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Sheer_Immortal

Versatile Vampire

24,125 Points
  • Team Edward 100
  • Friend of the Goat 100
  • Conquerer of Familiars 350
PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2008 8:48 pm
That'd make an awesome name for a bookstore, wouldn't it? xD

But, on to the real point of this thread: If you were stuck on a deserted island, which five books would you want?

Assume that you weren't thinking clearly enough to grab any survival books as your cruse ship/airplane was going down xD

As for me, my top five would probably be (in no particular order):

~Lord of the Flies by William Golding - Besides the irony factor, it's a good story.

~Holes by Louis Sachar - Again, a good story.

~A book of comics of some sort, like one of the Calvin & Hobbes books, or something like that - Good to lighten the mood a little, and I could keep track of the days through a "daily comic" system of some sort.

~My Spanish textbook from college - Hey, I'm stuck on a deserted island, I may as well practice my second language xD

~The Zombie Survival Guide by Max Brooks - I haven't had a chance to read it yet, and hey, I'll be stuck on a deserted island - all the time in the world, right? Plus, I'm pretty sure it has nothing to do with surviving on a deserted island, so it totally doesn't count as a survival book.

Feel free to not only post your own lists, but to comment on others' choices, too ^.^  
PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2008 9:55 am
I don't know maybe Twilight by Stephenie Meyer(I heard it's a really great book about a vampire or something along those lines.), Probably a random textbook(I'm on a deserted island, might as well do something so I don't come back clueless), Something from Shakespear(I don't know I like it though), and oh wow I didn't know there's a zombie survival guide. I want it so bad. I don't know why, but I still think zombies are real and plotting to destroy the Earth............and something random. like a book on how to bake cakes. Or a recipe book.  

Broken_Wingless

Sheer_Immortal

Versatile Vampire

24,125 Points
  • Team Edward 100
  • Friend of the Goat 100
PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2008 3:49 pm
Shakespeare, nice. That reminds me of a class I took in college on him...the textbook was three or four inches thick, and would probably work very well for being stuck on a deserted island for lord knows how long xD

I hadn't heard of the Zombie Survival Guide, myself, 'til I was reading through a thread on another site on how to run a Resident Evil-type role-playing game in White Wolf's World of Darkness. It's amazing, the things one can find on the internet. Like The Federal Vampire and Zombie Agency. rofl  
PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2008 12:35 pm
There's a federal agency for vampires and zombies? lol I wish we could bring a computer along.  

Broken_Wingless

my-superstar

1,000 Points
  • Gaian 50
  • Member 100
PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2008 10:38 am
Hmmmm...The Five books I would take along with me would be...

1. East Of Eden by John Steinbeck (good book and because it's a school book I haven't finished reading yet lol)

2. Lisey's Story by Stephen King (interesting and haven't completely finished it)

3. A book about video games(I'm a video game fanatic, If I can't take video games I might as well take something thats about it blaugh )

4. Probably would take my Philosophy or History Textbook

5. Auriel Rising by Elizabeth Redfern (Never started reading but looks interesting lol)  
PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2008 1:17 pm
my-superstar

1. East Of Eden by John Steinbeck (good book and because it's a school book I haven't finished reading yet lol)

2. Lisey's Story by Stephen King (interesting and haven't completely finished it)

3. A book about video games(I'm a video game fanatic, If I can't take video games I might as well take something thats about it blaugh )

5. Auriel Rising by Elizabeth Redfern (Never started reading but looks interesting lol)
A fellow King fan and fellow video game fan? ^.^ Lisey's Story is a great book.

What's Auriel Rising about?  

Sheer_Immortal

Versatile Vampire

24,125 Points
  • Team Edward 100
  • Friend of the Goat 100

my-superstar

1,000 Points
  • Gaian 50
  • Member 100
PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2008 4:05 pm
Sheer_Immortal
my-superstar

A fellow King fan and fellow video game fan? ^.^ Lisey's Story is a great book.

What's Auriel Rising about?

Yep. I hope that's not weird. lol. The more reason for me to finish reading Lisey's Story. ^.^ Auriel Rising is about A man by the name of Ned Warriner who lives in London, England. He won a letter that's addressed to Auriel that contains the secret of the Philosopher's Stone about how to make money. He's wanted for a crime I do not know of lol, and a man's threatening him with blackmail. The man wants a to trade the letter for Ned's safety. Not only that but he has a true love that's married and the two want to come back together, but with him being wanted they can't.  
PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2008 6:33 pm
If liking both is weird, I don't wanna be normal, lol. xD

Auriel Rising sounds cool. I shall have to look for it at the library...  

Sheer_Immortal

Versatile Vampire

24,125 Points
  • Team Edward 100
  • Friend of the Goat 100

my-superstar

1,000 Points
  • Gaian 50
  • Member 100
PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2008 10:27 pm
Sheer_Immortal

Lol. I know for sure Auriel Rising's not in my school Library. I bought it a while ago when a bookstore was having a clearance sale because they were going bankrupt. I bought sooo many books. So far I've only managed to read 3 of them. XD  
PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2008 9:38 am
my-superstar
Sheer_Immortal

Lol. I know for sure Auriel Rising's not in my school Library. I bought it a while ago when a bookstore was having a clearance sale because they were going bankrupt. I bought sooo many books. So far I've only managed to read 3 of them. XD
Oh, nice. I love clearance sales xD

I have easy access to two public libraries (hopefully a third soon, if I get the job), so hopefully I'll be able to find it ;D  

Sheer_Immortal

Versatile Vampire

24,125 Points
  • Team Edward 100
  • Friend of the Goat 100

my-superstar

1,000 Points
  • Gaian 50
  • Member 100
PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2008 4:05 pm
Sheer_Immortal
my-superstar
Sheer_Immortal

Oh, nice. I love clearance sales xD

I have easy access to two public libraries (hopefully a third soon, if I get the job), so hopefully I'll be able to find it ;D

Cool biggrin  
PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2008 8:38 pm
Well, seeing as how I'm not much of a reader myself this'll take a bit of imagination..... I'm screwed.... Well lets start with the ones I own...

1.) LoserPalooza, (A Get Fuzzy comic book By Darby Conley)

2.) Parasite Eve Strategy Guide by Brady Games

Well that settles that..... so three more eh?

3.) Probably the Elder Scrolls IV Oblivion strategy guide (So much to do in that game, at the rate I read, I'd never finish it)

4.) World War Z by some zombie guy (Never read it but I hear it's just a bunch of short stories in a sequential order based on the time line of the great Zombie war)

5.) .....An Adult Magazine? (After a while I might just enjoy the human companionship.... you know, after I go crazy)  

Boju Dahki

D r i f f i l i m

PostPosted: Fri Feb 29, 2008 9:32 am
1.) Against the Day- Thomas Pynchon
2.) The Source- James Michener
3.)Romance of the three Kingdoms- Lu Kuan Choung
4.) My full yotsuba collection
5.) A finnish dictionary- always wanted to learn.  
PostPosted: Fri Feb 29, 2008 11:50 am
1.) The Picture of Dorian Gray
2.) one of my novels

3-5) my text books...so I can study or burn them for warmth ninja depending on my mood.  

ZanderStone

Sheer_Immortal

Versatile Vampire

24,125 Points
  • Team Edward 100
  • Friend of the Goat 100
PostPosted: Sat Mar 01, 2008 1:49 pm
lol xD

Yeah, Dorian Gray was one of the books I had to read for college that I was glad to read 3nodding  
Contests, Giveaways, and General Chat

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games