Welcome to Gaia! ::

Friends of English Magic - for readers and fans of fantasy

Back to Guilds

A guild for fans of fantasy books - we have discussions, contests, and games! 

Tags: english, fantasy, magic, book, scifi 

Reply The Friends of English Magic Guild
What are YOU currently reading? Goto Page: 1 2 3 ... 4 ... 7 8 9 10 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

PoemAtGunpoint

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2008 3:01 pm
Hi there!
Yes, you've most likely never seen me around here before. This is my first official post/thread and I wanted to get to know a bit about the people here in a way that would relate it to the theme of the guild.

Sorry if this has been done before, but I did check for previous posts, really I did xd

While this is about what you currently or most recently have read, if you want to share your alltime favorite with everyone, that's fine too.

Asside from telling us the title you might also tell us:
1. What is the book about? (setting, plot, characters) Please tell in a way that wont spoil anyway blaugh
2. Do you like the book so far? Why or why not?
3. Have you previously read anything by the author?
4. Is it a series?
5. Would you place this book among your top read? Why or why not?
6. Is the style of writing bizzare or new to you?

You don't have to answer everything, I just thought I'd give people a brainstorm of what else to say other than just the title.

Currently, I am reading Time of the Twins.
It is the first book of the series DragonLance Legends that takes place after the first series: Dragon Lance Chronicles.
I am really enjoying the story. It basically is just continueing from the first series with a focus on two of the characters: Raistlin and Caramon (twins). I can't set it down, but I can't say the book is among my top rated. The series as a whole, however, will be ^-^  
PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2008 3:44 pm
The Chronicles of Narina, The Horse and His Boy.

My favorite in the series.  

OrionsGift

EmmaIce476

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2008 5:52 pm
"Ahead Lies Something You Need...

Ok. I'll answer this in numerical order (Or so..)
Title: Inkheart
Author: Cornelia Funke

1.) (I'll type the back of it since I stink at summaries)
One cruel night, Meggie's father reads aloud from Inkheart, and an evil ruler named Capricorn escaped the boundaries of fiction and lands in their living room. Suddenly, Meggie is in the middle of the kind of adventure she has only read about in books. Meggie must learn to harness the magic that has conjured this nightmare. Only she can change the course of the story that has changed her life forever.
Characters:
Meggie
Mo
Dustfinger
Elinor
Resa(She is becoming important for a reason I can't tell...)
Basta
Fenoglio
Flatnose
Gwin
Farid
Capricorn
Mortola (thye call her 'The Magpie' or 'Magipie')

2.) I love heart heart the book so far! I love it because it's someting I've been dreaming about ever since I read 'Artemis Fowl'; To read the character right out of the book to meet them IN PERSON. smile

3.) I havn't read anything of Cornelia Funke at all before Inkheart, but we have Dragon Rider by her in our own little collection of books.

4.) Yes, Inkeahrt is a series. The next book is Inkspell. That's it, so far. It's a long book. This one is over 500 pages. Inkspell is over 600 pages.

5.) I usually place the book I'm reading on my top list. I have a lot of favorites. Like (these are mostly series) Artemis Fowl Series, Ranger's Apprentice Series, Percy Jackson Series, and now the Inkheart Series. smile

6.) This style is not new to me. All the books I have mentioned in Itallics (except Dragon Rider) are all very different. Special, in it's own unique way. LONG POST sorry....Oh! I forgot to add.. Inkheart Will be a major motion picture on March 19th, 2008. I saw it in the other forums and on youtube by the link on the forum given. And, the quotes "Because Fear Kills... ...Your Mind, Heart, And Imagination." Are from Inkheart too. But, I don't have it up. I have this one from Kingdom Hearts: Chain of Memories up instead. You'll see the Inkheart quote on toher forums. smile

...But to Claim it, You Must Lose Something Dear."

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2008 6:12 pm
"The Book Thief" (sorry I can't remeber the author)
1. It is about a girls life name Liesel who is living durin World War II, she is not Jewsih (so it isn't about how she escape death), it is narrated by death so it gives an extra twist to it, and she steals book. What more can I say.
2. Yes I do for it is the second time I have read it and if I didn't like it, it would be very cruel to myself to read it twice.
3. No, I dont think so...?
4. No, unfortuantly it would have been a very good series.
5. Yes, just because of the way it is written with all of its extra points and stuff (read it and find out what I mean).
6. It is very bizarre and new to me (read it and find out).
This book is amazing and I totally recommend it.  

Gallivespian

Catherine of Aragon

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2008 6:40 pm
"The Purgatorio" by Dante
1.) It's about Dante as he travels with the poet Virgil through purgatory and learns the lessons he needs to enter Heaven.
2.) I think it's really great so far, but that's just me sweatdrop
3.)Yes, I read "The Inferno" last year, but it took me forever to find a copy of Purgatorio
4.)Yes. Well, actually it's just one big poem starting with "The Inferno" followed by "The Purgatorio" and concluded in "The Paradiso"
5.) Definently, I love classics xd
6.)It can be a little hard to read, but once you get used to it it's really enjoyable!

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2008 7:06 pm
Hi! Welcome to FoEM!

I just finished listening to The Bartimaeus Trilogy audio and tonight I got the print book from the library. I really loved the trilogy and I think it's going to be something I reread many times.
I've never read anything by Jonathan Stroud before but I'm definitely going to look for more books by him. It's weird but this series kind of reminds me of Jonathan Strange & Mr Norrell in some ways: the humor and even the time setting (although when you are is kind of unknown in Bartimaeus)

I've never read any Dragonlance. My favorite fantasy books are Jonathan Strange & Mr Norrell and the Harry Potter series.  

Lady Pole
Crew

PoemAtGunpoint

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2008 8:16 pm
@ EmmaIce476 -> Oh wow! I just looked up the trailor for Inkheart. Got me really excited to watch the movie, although I should probably read the book first!

@ Gallivespian -> The style sounds pretty cool. I once read a book where it was narated by a girl that had just died and it was very clever. I'll have to look into it ^-^

@ Shadow_angel321 -> Sounds interesting. So its a poem but it tells a story kinda? How many pages is it?

@ Lady Pole -> Thanks! ^.^ I've never listened to a book thorugh an audio tape, well, other than when I was learning to read sweatdrop Do you enjoy it? Also, what is the Bartimaeus Trilogy about?  
PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2008 10:32 pm
Ysabel by Guy Gavriel Kay.

1) Well, it's quite difficult to explain the plot because it isn't very clear. Basically the protagonist, Ned, goes to Paras with his father, a famous photographer, to do some photo shoots for a book (his mother is nursing in a war). While there Ned meets a girl named Kate, whom is a huge history bluff, in a cathedral. Later, in the cathedral, they run into this man who threatens them with a knife, conversation happens. Than a bit of mystery develops (no spoiling from me). Than, it gets deeper and deeper.

2) Yes, it's an awesome book. I can't explain why I like it, I just do. o-O It's got humour, fantasy, historical figure, plot that's hard to predict (which does appeal me).

3) Nope, I picked up the book as it's a part of a book reading club.

4) Not to my knowledge.

5) Probably not. Why? Because it takes a LOT for me to obsess over a book, and so far, it's rating about 6 or 7/10 (I know I said I liked it up in question two, but I'm an incredibly harsh rater, low scores don't mean I don't like the book).

6) The style? Hmm, I wouldn't say it's new or bizarre...

And that's about it, I guess.  

Aluke Lexus Keay

Renos-fangirl247

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2008 8:33 am
Book=Wolf's Rain Seris= Chronicols of Anicent Darkness (WR is the 1st book)

1.What is the book about? (setting, plot, characters) Please tell in a way that wont spoil anyway: It's about a boy called Torak who's father has just been killed by a demon in the form of a giant bear. This book is set in prehistoric times, just after the ice age in a forrest, so life isn't easy. Torak swore an oath to his father that he would kill the bear or die trying. So this 12 year old is on his own, until he meets a wolf cub who he can understand due to the fact that Torak was raised by wolves as well as his father. So they set off together, with Torak hoping that the wolf will guide him to the mountain where he must destroy the bear. He also runs into a 'clan' called The Raven Clan who are hesitant about letting him carry on with his journy. Especially one called Hord; whom's sister accompanys Torak on his journy too (when he escapes from their clutches). Together, they search for the only means to destroy the bear-The Nanuk-and face deathly perils on the way, so they must all help each other.
2. Do you like the book so far? Why or why not? I really like it, it balances tense and happy moments perfectly. Making the reader fear what will happen especially in dire situations; but creating the right balance of it all when it talks about friendship.
3. Have you previously read anything by the author? Nope.
4. Is it a series? yes, there will be six books and so far she has released four of them.
5. Would you place this book among your top read? Why or why not? Not my most top, harry Potter is in the way. But certainly awesome. It mixes a lot of fantasy into the book but not making it so the characters can have easy time.
6. Is the style of writing bizzare or new to you? Not really, it's like a lto of other teenage books. Well sized chapters and paragraphs.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2008 11:07 am
The second Bartimaeus book (The Golem's Eye) - ALMOST finsihed! ^_^ heart , just starting The Book of Mordred by Vivian Vande Velde, and am in the middle of Hellsing, volume 3. I LOVE Bartimaeus and Hellsing (althouhg the drawings are terrible xd ), especially since The Golem's Eye has one of the funniest bits in the series so far ^_^

For those of you who've read TGE, I'm talking about the footstool xd  

Sita Harker
Captain

6,000 Points
  • Treasure Hunter 100
  • Brandisher 100
  • Risky Lifestyle 100

fairywaif

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2008 12:54 pm
I just finished Just Listen which is an amazing book. It made me cry, and I don't usually cry over books. Laugh, yell, sigh but not cry. It was truly beautiful...
I'm now reading Epic.  
PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2008 8:10 pm
I'm reading three books right now; Lorwyn, Golden Compass, and Moral Minds: The Nature of Right and Wrong.

1. Lorwyn is about the seedy underbelly of a seemingly perfect midsummer land. Golden Compass is about...well, I feel that it is about many things, mostly questioning things. Moral Minds is about the theory that morality is something that humans are born with, not something that is learned (yes, it is nonfiction).
2. So far, I love 'em all.
3. I have never read anything by any of these authors before.  

Feline Anachronism

PoemAtGunpoint

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2008 3:53 pm
Wow! eek I give credit to people that can read two books at once...but three?! How's that working out for you?

I've read two books at once before, usually one for school and another of my fancy. I can't do it when just reading anything...usually I get so devoted to one book..although there are so many I want to read! crying  
PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2008 8:51 am
Old Magic-Marianne Curley
1. What is the book about? Kate is a witch, on school there is a new boy, Jarrod, he seems to have a "gift"too. But he doesn't believe that himself.(Very short description, I know, but I haven't got much time now..)
2. Do you like the book so far? Why or why not? Yes! It is written well, with enough tension and it's about Magic!
3. Have you previously read anything by the author? I have read the same book in Dutch
4. Is it a series? No, but Marianne Curley has written a triology(The Guardians of time) I think this is something like The Hobbit
5. Would you place this book among your top read? Why or why not? It is nice, but not like Harry Potter, Lord of the Rings, Narnia and that kind of stuff,also maybe it will be later I haven't read that much yet..
6. Is the style of writing bizzare or new to you? No...It is just like 'I' and then it changes the 'I'person between Kate and Jarrod

evanna11

beaulolais
Vice Captain

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2008 3:38 pm
shadow_angel321
"The Purgatorio" by Dante
1.) It's about Dante as he travels with the poet Virgil through purgatory and learns the lessons he needs to enter Heaven.
2.) I think it's really great so far, but that's just me sweatdrop
3.)Yes, I read "The Inferno" last year, but it took me forever to find a copy of Purgatorio
4.)Yes. Well, actually it's just one big poem starting with "The Inferno" followed by "The Purgatorio" and concluded in "The Paradiso"
5.) Definently, I love classics xd
6.)It can be a little hard to read, but once you get used to it it's really enjoyable!

i read both the Purgatorio and the Inferno, in John Ciardi's translation.

he's really the best, capturing that vernacular "vulgar Latin" vitality better than any of the others, as well as Dante's genius elaborate rhyme scheme.

in a way, the structure is like a huge puzzle, simply amazing for the effort it must have taken,  
The Friends of English Magic Guild

Goto Page: 1 2 3 ... 4 ... 7 8 9 10 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff