Welcome to Gaia! ::

The Gamers Promised Land, Gaia's Best Gaming and Pop Culture

Back to Guilds

Gaia's best guild for discussions and contests about Video Games, Pop Culture, general geek stuff, and any kind of discussion! 

Tags: Video Games, Pop culture, chatting, Internet, tournaments 

Reply Main Forum
Universal Healthcare :D

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Pay Per Cuts

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2008 6:57 pm
So for my Junior Oration class I need to have a practice debate, with my teacher, about Universal Healthcare, I must take the affirmative. So what's your guy's opinions on universal healthcare? =)

Also I know that there's a law in America that if someone dies from your neglect (ie they're choking and you know the heimlich maneuver but you don't give it to them and just watch them die) you can be accountable for some type of murder. Frick, what's it called?  
PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2008 7:05 pm
Universal healthcare can only work if the government absorbs the entire medical industry.  

nitnit
Captain

Jonnnn

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2008 7:11 pm
Pay Per Cuts
So for my Junior Oration class I need to have a practice debate, with my teacher, about Universal Healthcare, I must take the affirmative. So what's your guy's opinions on universal healthcare? =)

Also I know that there's a law in America that if you someone dies from your neglect (ie they're choking and you know the heimlich maneuver but you don't give it to them and just watch them die) you can be accountable for some type of murder. Frick, what's it called?

Well it goes both ways also. If the person who you performed the Heimlich Maneuver on gets a cracked or broken rib (or any other injury fo rthatmatter) they can easily sew you and win. I don't know what that is called though.

Universal Healthcare? No thanks. Not in America at least.
I worked for my money and my healthcare, so now you are going to come in and take my hard earned money away to give some douche on the streets healthcare? Why can't they get a education and a job?

Plus, the competition between companies keeps the price of healthcare in check. If that is eliminated prices will skyrocket; thats all coming out of my patcheck.  
PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2008 7:44 pm
You spelt sue wrong.  

nitnit
Captain

Tyhoon

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2008 7:57 pm
It's called criminal neglegence, and the law system is broken enough for someone to claim "emotional distress" if you so much as look at them the wrong way.

As for Universal Healthcare, I say f*ck it, but for a different reason. I love my doctor; he's taken care of me and my siblings ever since we moved to Texas. If there's something wrong with me I want his opinion, because he isn't gonna piddle around and find a way to make treating me less of a hassle and more of a profit. Despite the hipocratic oath, I believe most HMO doctors to be evil.

I can even give an example: My brother recently got a hernia, a deep one. Not knowing exactly what was wrong, my brother went to see his company doctor who, after examining him, said he was just sore and needed to rest for a few days. My brother, not content with this answer and knowing that something was wrong, called my dad, who called the family doctor. The family doctor knew immediately what had happened and stressed that my brother should go to an emergency room beyond immediately. If he had waited, he would have bled out.  
PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2008 8:01 pm
Jonnnn
Pay Per Cuts

Also I know that there's a law in America that if you someone dies from your neglect (ie they're choking and you know the heimlich maneuver but you don't give it to them and just watch them die) you can be accountable for some type of murder. Frick, what's it called?

Well it goes both ways also. If the person who you performed the Heimlich Maneuver on gets a cracked or broken rib (or any other injury fo rthatmatter) they can easily sew you and win. I don't know what that is called though.

Universal Healthcare? No thanks. Not in America at least.
I worked for my money and my healthcare, so now you are going to come in and take my hard earned money away to give some douche on the streets healthcare? Why can't they get a education and a job?

Plus, the competition between companies keeps the price of healthcare in check. If that is eliminated prices will skyrocket; thats all coming out of my patcheck.

(First off I'm kinda leaning both ways on this issue, but I HAVE to take the affirmative)

Second off the murder thing I was talking about I want to explain how it would be the same issue as the government is withholding medical treatment that could save someone's life.

These douche's on the street are just a minority. There are plenty of other hard working citizens who just can't afford healthcare. Our government is constantly wasting money with foreign stuff (iraq war) and other things such as the marijuana law thingies (that doesn't even protect anyone) I don't see why we can't actually spend money (shift what we're already wasting) and use it to help our own society that is in need before we go messing with other countries.

(I won't be talking this casually)

Will do research on the last statement  

Pay Per Cuts

Pay Per Cuts

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2008 8:03 pm
Tyhoon
It's called criminal neglegence, and the law system is broken enough for someone to claim "emotional distress" if you so much as look at them the wrong way.

As for Universal Healthcare, I say f*ck it, but for a different reason. I love my doctor; he's taken care of me and my siblings ever since we moved to Texas. If there's something wrong with me I want his opinion, because he isn't gonna piddle around and find a way to make treating me less of a hassle and more of a profit. Despite the hipocratic oath, I believe most HMO doctors to be evil.

I can even give an example: My brother recently got a hernia, a deep one. Not knowing exactly what was wrong, my brother went to see his company doctor who, after examining him, said he was just sore and needed to rest for a few days. My brother, not content with this answer and knowing that something was wrong, called my dad, who called the family doctor. The family doctor knew immediately what had happened and stressed that my brother should go to an emergency room beyond immediately. If he had waited, he would have bled out.

The profit motive adversely affects the cost and quality of health care. If managed care programs and their concomitant provider networks are abolished, then doctors would no longer be guaranteed patients solely on the basis of their membership in a provider group and regardless of the quality of care they provide. Theoretically, quality of care would increase as true competition for patients is restored.  
PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2008 8:42 pm
I typed a long discussion explaining why it would suck if Universal Healthcare happened to the US, but then my internet went screwy. sweatdrop

The basic gist of it was that the medical industry would collapse, the medical profession would become a gamble, prices and taxes would skyrocket, rural care would become nearly immposible to get, and there would be an incredible healthcare problem in the future as there would be an unimaginable shortage of trained medical professionals.  

Tyhoon

darkslasherX
Crew

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2008 9:19 pm
Pay Per Cuts
These douche's on the street are just a minority. There are plenty of other hard working citizens who just can't afford healthcare.
Those douches don't get jobs because it's just easier to panhandle. The real poor people are the divorced women who have to take care of children, and the uneducated and illiterate. Most of these aforementioned people work two or three jobs just to survive. These people desperately need anything they can get.
Also, did you know that one of the nation's largest retailers, Wal-mart, goes out of their way to make sure that they don't have to provide healthcare benefits to their employees?
It's these people that universal healthcare would help, not the panhandlers on the streets.  
PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2008 12:04 am
Pay Per Cuts
[
(First off I'm kinda leaning both ways on this issue, but I HAVE to take the affirmative)

Second off the murder thing I was talking about I want to explain how it would be the same issue as the government is withholding medical treatment that could save someone's life.

These douche's on the street are just a minority. There are plenty of other hard working citizens who just can't afford healthcare. Our government is constantly wasting money with foreign stuff (iraq war) and other things such as the marijuana law thingies (that doesn't even protect anyone) I don't see why we can't actually spend money (shift what we're already wasting) and use it to help our own society that is in need before we go messing with other countries.

(I won't be talking this casually)

Will do research on the last statement

You can't justify spending more money with "well, we are already doing it so who cares." >.>

In reality, the money needed to pay for this is either going to be from us (taxes) or from cuts in other funding. (think education, military, etc.) I did not mean to put it so blunt and messy in my last post redface

As for the the real poor people you are mentioning Darkslasher, I realize they need anything they can get, but hospitals already have programs set up to limit cost and government funded and non profit hospitals will often take people in virtually free of charge uder certain circumastances.
Would our money not be better spent on developing more useful and coherant programs to help those who really need it?  

Jonnnn

Raijin36

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2008 5:17 am
Oh god, I have to do something similar.

My whole class(since like kindergarden)

Has to interview three people that have a job that is what we want to do or somehow related to what we want to do.

Then we have to present it to our class in the Autitorium to our whole class...

Our class is like 300-400 people give or take plus teachers.

It sucks.

Back to the Healthcare.

I'm going to go with nitnit here that if you watch someone die and you knew how to save them you may be charged with I believe Murder in the First, a minimum of 1-5 years depending on how bad it was or if they go digging around in your profile and find that it's happened before your f***ed.  
PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2008 2:36 pm
Buttsecks?  

nitnit
Captain

~InfinityTrust~

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2008 6:09 pm
Lots o' words, topic that I don't care about, small brain capacity overloading... xB
Thanks, Nit, I completely understand whats going on now thanks to your genius use of words. =D
I don't really care about Universal Healthcare due to me being spoiled rotten and having a bad influence from my friends surrounding me, but I do think though that it's mighty dandy that there are people out there that actually care about what happens to people that they don't even know and they try to help anyways. Also, as long as I have a doctor that will take care of me as long as I keep giving them money then I'm A-okay. >:3
I probably just said nothing that had to do with this discussion but like I said before, small mental brain capacity has it's limits.
...And I'm part of the next generation to have the pain of taking care of the world, what a bright future I see coming. =D  
PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2008 11:09 am
~InfinityTrust~
Lots o' words, topic that I don't care about, small brain capacity overloading... xB
Thanks, Nit, I completely understand whats going on now thanks to your genius use of words. =D
I don't really care about Universal Healthcare due to me being spoiled rotten and having a bad influence from my friends surrounding me, but I do think though that it's mighty dandy that there are people out there that actually care about what happens to people that they don't even know and they try to help anyways. Also, as long as I have a doctor that will take care of me as long as I keep giving them money then I'm A-okay. >:3
I probably just said nothing that had to do with this discussion but like I said before, small mental brain capacity has it's limits.
...And I'm part of the next generation to have the pain of taking care of the world, what a bright future I see coming. =D
Indeed. In my opinion, I find it funny that the people whom actually care about other people,in most occasions, ARENT doctors.  

Zephyr TruFeld

Shigeru the Hero

PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2008 11:55 am
Zephyr TruFeld
~InfinityTrust~
Indeed. In my opinion, I find it funny that the people whom actually care about other people,in most occasions, ARENT doctors.

who*  
Main Forum

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff