Welcome to Gaia! ::

Reply Zombies. Seriously.
Silenced weapons?

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Silenced weaponry... zombie killer or no?
  Yes.
  No.
  Not necessary.
View Results

Krilliad

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2008 3:30 pm
Since almost every zombie book or game seems to have zombies depending on smell at closer distances and sound at longer ranges, would(or would it not) be more effective to have a silenced weapon?

In Max Brooks "World War Z" (which I am currently reading) It talks of a female pilot stranded in the middle of Z country. [though they called 'em Gs.]

Quote:
" ...I had mind enough to snap on my silencer, and take out the one at the closest distance..."

Later she states it is more effective to have said silencer on because it will not attract other Gs in ear shot.

So... would it be more effective to have a silenced weapon?

Second... I'm writing a zombie book...
Yes, rolleyes I know it's a silly idea, but any ideas what'd be the best weapon for a main character [Marine Corp "medic"] to use?

Thanks, Dr. Reaper - Max Brooks school of zombology mrgreen

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2008 8:33 pm
Think more of the term 'noise suppression' and you're more on the mark.

Writers don't have much of a clue about what a 'silencer' is doing or that there is no such thing as a 100% effective silencer. Just because the CIA issued silenced High Standard .22 pistols to their U2 pilots doesn't mean they were a practical weapon.

Between the variables of caliber, gun type, and ammo, you'll never be able to totally eliminate the report and supersonic shock wave. Stories of suppressed Springfield bolt action sniper rifles dating back to WWI told of the sonic boom that gave away the presence of a rifleman.

That, along with a nasty habit of tight specs on a suppressor around the speeding bullet affecting the ballistics of the trajectory, make using one a very risky process.

Now, if you're using a sub sonic .45ACP in a bolt action carbine, the odds are much better for multiple head shots in a crowd from a hiding place. But this all takes time, practice and resources.  

Floyd

Quotable Prophet

14,750 Points
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
  • Entrepreneur 150
  • Wall Street 200

Fresnel
Crew

Citizen

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2008 11:51 pm
Well, it really can't hurt all that much, and it might save your life. I'd do it if I had the opportunity.

Just as a note, you do realize Marine Corpsmen are Navy medics?  
PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2008 12:19 pm
Zombies are more accustomed to sound seeing how have have to hunt down flesh so if you don't want to end up running for a long time use a silencer cause they will come if they hear anything  

DaRkGrEeNwALL

Zombies. Seriously.

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff