Reply Avatar Talk
How do I rate themed avatars? :(

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

[ Pyrite ]

PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2008 5:37 pm
[ I've been rating matching avatars for so long, I've never been able to figure out how to rate a themed avatar. Can anyone give me some helpfull hints? ]

<3

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2008 2:52 am
Give you honest opinion... You don't need to use numbers...

Generally good ideas for statements:

"Well... This and this item don't work well with the theme you have going on"

"I don't see the theme here... Care to explain?"

"Good job... The theme is executed nicely and the theme is interesting... Moreover, it doesn't look like crap either!"  

MabTheQueenMTG

Anxious Fairy

19,815 Points
  • Battle Hardened 150
  • Invisibility 100

Bludget

Wheezing Survivor

10,250 Points
  • Hunter 50
  • Survivor 150
  • Healer 50
PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2008 6:54 pm
[ Pyrite ]
[ I've been rating matching avatars for so long, I've never been able to figure out how to rate a themed avatar. Can anyone give me some helpfull hints? ]

<3

It's a lot more subjective. Possibly why so many shy away from making or rating them.

Can you tell what they were going for? If you can't, it's a wash.

If there's got a ninja star on a pirate, the theme has likely failed. Some things are a lot trickier. There may be an item that matches better, but is from the wrong era. Like too modern shoes on a Roman goddess.

Even if there's no strict matching, does the colour scheme work well? If there's mostly vivid colours, something drab may stand out like a sore thumb, unless it's absolutely necessary. Like a brightly dressed town crier that is holding Caroling sheet music. Personally, while I might not go for the exact shade and tone, I'd probably have something brown somewhere to balance it out.

Is it weighted well? Unless it's perfect for the theme, you don't want clutter to mess up the flow. I'm a big fan of shape repition for unifying composition. With my current party wizard, I've got triangles. The pointed hat, the margarita glass, the mink jacket, the lines of the speedies bottom. And the angle of the wand mirrors the angle of the hat. It's unfortunate I've chosen to obsess over something that takes too ******** long to explain, and may not be noticed. Not all themes need that, either.

There's other ways of balancing out colour, too. The bright pink of my hair and margarita draws nearly as much attention as the white of my stockings, so they balance.

I think my problem is what I really want to be doing is painting...  
PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2008 5:35 pm
Of course thats the one of the few sections still missing in my How DO I Rate That Thread. stressed Which reminds me I should finish that up in the near future.  

candycrack
Captain

Fashionable Glitch

11,250 Points
  • Brandisher 100
  • Battle: Rogue 100
  • Risky Lifestyle 100

Bludget

Wheezing Survivor

10,250 Points
  • Hunter 50
  • Survivor 150
  • Healer 50
PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2008 3:37 pm
candycrack
Of course thats the one of the few sections still missing in my How DO I Rate That Thread. stressed Which reminds me I should finish that up in the near future.

Please do, I will love you for it!  
PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2008 4:36 pm
How? Well, you can tell whether or not an avatar looks good, doesn't it? Go by that, and that alone.  

Lucca Ashtear

millikuh

Anxious Smoker

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2008 5:27 pm
When someone has a themed avvy, I first (obviously) ask them what the theme is if they have not told me yet.
Then I check how well the avatar follows the theme.
Ex. If the theme is "Ocean", I'd look for things on the avatar which really do not follow the theme and do not flow with the items that do follow the theme. So maybe somewhere in there they stuck the labu necklace with the hearts pose, but the rest of the items are blue. That could drop the rating a little.
Then I usually also check the balance.
Ex. The theme is "Ocean", so the avatar has a elemental hair on. The rest of the avatar had a lot of skin showing, but the head is totally covered, and also has big hair. It's top heavy. This drops the rating.
Lastly, I tend to look for originality or check if it is unique.
Ex. The theme is "Ocean", but the person really has an overated avatar. Many people have avatars simular to it. It really wouldn't stick out in a crowd. This might drop the rating.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2008 7:13 pm
Bludget
candycrack

Please do, I will love you for it!

I don't know how to word it very good, theme avatars aren't really my thing.

Barbie has supposed to do themes and another section for a year in a half now. lol  

candycrack
Captain

Fashionable Glitch

11,250 Points
  • Brandisher 100
  • Battle: Rogue 100
  • Risky Lifestyle 100

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items