Welcome to Gaia! ::

Gaian Grammar Guild

Back to Guilds

The Gaian Grammar Guild is a refuge for the literate, a place for them to post and read posts without worrying about the nonsensical ones. 

Tags: grammar, literate, english, language 

Reply Gaian Grammar Guild
Dirty/Curse words used as puns.

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Tezur

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2008 7:55 am
And here's my reaction to them:

burning_eyes burning_eyes burning_eyes burning_eyes burning_eyes burning_eyes burning_eyes

Really, if you need to type out some educated pun despite being born impoverished and speaking in bad grammar, use a dictionary.

Now to all my Guild friends: I'm sure that quite a few times you've read a bad pun in someone's typed statement on any forum. To call a certain website, for instance, "an armpit of the internet"...does he/she imply it's an insult to other websites, or that it smells funny? I don't really think you can use armpit as a literal or figurative term of reference, just as a bad way of judging things.

But even if there's no real meaning behind it, is it still alright to use dirty words or phrases as puns? We all have different ways of using grammar properly, yet I believe you should have a right to ask what the person using that phrase actually means, otherwise you'll dismiss it as being used for spite.  
PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2008 7:58 pm
I agree...

I've seen instances online where someone has called a particular item a "pile of sh*t"

My first reaction was to ask if it smelled bad, I was in turn laughed at and told that it was a poorly made item and not worth the money.

My final responce? "that would mean its a 'peice of sh*t' learn english so that the world knows what youre speaking about"  

Shoko-Howlette

Kuo51

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2008 11:32 pm
Those aren't dirty words! Those are curse words. A dirty pun would be something like:

"Hey! It's dangerous to go waving that thing around!" - FLCL aka Furi Kuri xp  
PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2008 11:02 am
Kuo51
Those aren't dirty words! Those are curse words. A dirty pun would be something like:

"Hey! It's dangerous to go waving that thing around!" - FLCL aka Furi Kuri xp

*edits* There, happy? smile  

Tezur

Gaian Grammar Guild

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas