Welcome to Gaia! ::

Craftin' - A sewing, knitting and glue kind of place.

Back to Guilds

Reply Craftin'
Teachers Encouraged to Dislike knitting

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

?
  That's so odd, why would they do that?
  You may be reading to much into this.
View Results

takocos

Dapper Genius

4,275 Points
  • Treasure Hunter 100
  • Befriended 100
  • Somebody Likes You 100
PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2008 5:21 am
Have any of you read "The First Days od School"? Whenyou take upper level teaching classes, classroom management (EDSE 486 @ my school) it's a required text. So I'm reading this, and not to sound mean, but I'm kind of falling asleep because Education majors use a lot of repitition, and suddenly I see like 4 random diggs at the hobby of knitting.

One was that if you knit, you're not paying attention to meetings. Another was an evil teacher who knit... I can't remember the rest and I have class, but has anyone else read this book?  
PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2008 8:28 am
That's odd... maybe because I'm looking into elementary teaching, but I've found several references to knitting as a good thing for teachers, particularly as a- stress releif and b- a way to build small motor skills in children (for sneaky purposes of teaching legible handwriting).

My interpretation of those references is that you shouldn't be paying more attention to your knitting thatn to your students work, if you want your students to be paying more attention to their work than to the note their writing, a gameboy, Harry Potter VII, or the funny Calvin and Hobbs cartoons in the English book.

And only knit in meetings if everyone there also knits- then they understand that it is totally possible to pay attention to two things at once, and take notes.  

Blue-eyes-green

Aki Yasu

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2008 1:03 pm
That is very odd... you would't think it would be a problem as long as you arn't killing your sudents with you needles...

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2008 12:55 pm
I have only been knitting by hand really well this past year. I like to talk my small projects to my appointments and stuff and work on it while I am waiting. I get quite a bit done. I even made some money by making a baby blanket for some lady I didn't know. I met her breifly at an orthodontis office and she gave me her phone number, picked the blanket out she wanted me to make and I made it for her. I also take stuff to my womens meeting once a month. It is amazing how many people think knitting is crocheting and crocheting is knitting. Crazy. Anyway I don't see a problem with it as long as you are listening. Have your pattern down well so you don't miss out on the topic being discused. Good Day  

tamaja

Sachiko13

PostPosted: Wed Apr 09, 2008 12:15 pm
I sometimes knit at school during movies, because I end up picking at my face if I don't have something to do with my hands. I had one teacher who didn't mind me knitting in class because she has 3 kids with ADHD, and as long as you did well, she understood that what you did in class helped.  
PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2008 10:11 am
At first my Government teacher thought I wasn't paying attention when I was knitting during class, but when I turned out near-perfect marks (98%), she didn't care anymore. She was pretty interested in what I was making and was chill as long as the needles didn't click and distract other students.
I also knit during movies in Religion, and got a lot of smiles from the teacher.  

mindy_does_stuff

Kay-VW

PostPosted: Fri Apr 25, 2008 4:19 am
Knitting is hard. anyone know of an easier way to learn how to knit other than reading a book on how to knit?  
PostPosted: Sun Apr 27, 2008 1:25 pm
Kay-VW
Knitting is hard. anyone know of an easier way to learn how to knit other than reading a book on how to knit?

You can find online tutorials on youtube!  

damnatio memoriae

Dapper Dabbler

12,625 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Millionaire 200
  • Nudist Colony 200
Craftin'

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items