Welcome to Gaia! ::

~ Midnight Moon ~

Back to Guilds

~ for pagans, wiccans and witches ~ 

Tags: wiccan, witchcraft, paganism, wicca, heathenry 

Reply *~Forum~* (general discussion/questions)
"The one?"

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

The gypsy Queen

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2008 7:43 am
in scott cunningham's book, Wicca; guide for solitary practioners, he has a poem that exolains how everythind got started.

"before time was, there was The One; The Onewas all and all was The one.
...The one, all wise all-pervading, all powerfull,eternally changing....the one molded energy into two twin forms...fashioning the god and goddess from the one and of the one....the god and goddess gave thanks to the one."

what is the one???? redface and why is it that no one speaks of it?
ps. i didnt type the whole poem, just the parts i needed.  
PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2008 10:37 am
I'm just guessing here but I think it might be an eternal cycle.

Like I said, Just guessing...I really have no idea  

Blood_Thorn07

Hilarious Gekko

5,900 Points
  • Gaian 50
  • Member 100
  • Window Shopper 100

too2sweet
Captain

Tipsy Fairy

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2008 1:21 pm
Hopefully these will help:

Quote:
Depending upon one's point of view, Wicca can be considered a monotheistic, duotheistic, or a polytheistic religion:

Wicca is monotheistic: Some Wiccans recognize a single supreme being, sometimes called "The All" or "The One." The Goddess and God are viewed as the female and male aspects of this single deity.

Wicca is duotheistic (a.k.a. rarely as bitheistic): Wiccans often worship a female Goddess and a male God., often called the Lady and Lord.

Wicca is polytheistic: Wiccans recognize the existence of many ancient Gods and Goddesses, including Pan, Diana, Dionysius, Fergus, etc.

http://www.wiccanglade.com/wicca.html

Quote:
The Supreme Creative Force:
The One is the all encompassing unity of all things which exist. This includes that which is manifest to our limited awareness and understanding as well as that which is not. The One is infinite to a point that the human mind simply cannot comprehend its vastness.

Polarities of The One:
The Goddess and God are seen as a manifestation of the feminine and masculine forces of nature. Each having unique characteristics that when combined result in the harmonious creation of life.
http://www.wicca.com/celtic/wicca/concepts.htm

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2008 4:06 pm
hm. iteresting. so is it just the way you see Wicca, depending on how you worship?  

The gypsy Queen

Dragoness Arleeana

Eloquent Hunter

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2008 4:54 pm
Actually, it IS mentioned within most published works (the ones written by people who know what they're tlaking about that is). There is actually a card within some decks that are much like tarot decks that represents this "One", it's called the Unmanifest. It is pure, RAW power, unmanifested as anything physical. Many pagans believe that the Lord and Lady were born from this raw power. It isn't considered a god in most religions. It's not something that MAKES that magic, it IS the magic.  
PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2008 5:14 pm
A person may choose not to acknowledge "the one", but it is still a part of Wicca as a religion.  

too2sweet
Captain

Tipsy Fairy

The gypsy Queen

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2008 9:37 pm
hm, k good to know thanks!
hey off topic, is raymond buckland a good author?  
PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2008 12:03 am
the one is the source of all things manifest and unmanifest it ssimply is and is not, it is the essence of essences and the seed from whence the tree of life grew.  

WitchyBoy

2,100 Points
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
  • Flatterer 200
  • Cart Raider 100

Dragoness Arleeana

Eloquent Hunter

PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2008 9:39 am
The gypsy Queen

He's ok, though he over-complicates things. He explains things in an interesting light but can get kind of confusing at times.  
PostPosted: Sun Jun 08, 2008 6:07 pm
The gypsy Queen

try vivianne crowley or scott cunningham first. buckland explains how to do things, but not really why in some cases. or over complicates simple ideas.  

Korealia

Distinct Seeker

3,350 Points
  • Treasure Hunter 100
  • Full closet 200
  • Money Never Sleeps 200

WitchyBoy

2,100 Points
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
  • Flatterer 200
  • Cart Raider 100
PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2008 4:15 pm
spirit or the one is a hard thing to describe.  
PostPosted: Wed Jun 25, 2008 7:11 pm
The one could be some kind of beginning source of power? question Something that gave life would have power. So some form of life engery maybe?  

iRayneMoon

Sanguina Cruenta
Vice Captain

Eloquent Bloodsucker

PostPosted: Wed Jun 25, 2008 9:05 pm
It appears to be another word or term for the fifth element of "spirit". A Discworldian perspective might define it as the element "deitygen", that from which deities are born. So not a deity itself. Just another name for energy.

It's a nice myth in its way, but not one I personally ascribe to. I never use the phrase "the one" because I think it's just energy. Not a deity of any sort by any stretch of the imagination.  
PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2008 8:29 am
Some people I know think of the one as an energy source, some as a sort of all-father or creator deity in the Native American sense. Neither way is incorrect as far as Wicca is concerned in my mind. I agree with the above posters that Scott Cunningham is the best author out there for beginning practitioners as he is easy to understand. He is the first Pagan/Wiccan author that I read myself. If you are interested in the Celtic pantheon at all, I would also recommend D.J. Conway to get started with.  

hyacinth hunter

A Scarecrow

Wheezing Autobiographer

PostPosted: Thu Aug 07, 2008 8:46 am
In my opinion the "One" is a third, genderless, deity...one that is far more separate than God and Godess
Sort of like the Brahman in Hinduism.  
*~Forum~* (general discussion/questions)

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games
Mini-Games