GENERAL ROLE PLAY (READ)

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Reyvatiel Misha
Captain

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2008 12:01 pm
This is where you will be starting roleplays UN-RELATED to Ar Tonelico. You are not limited to any characters or subjects in here.

However, there are a few guidelines to follow to ensure that you can sift through the variety to find something that you like.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2008 12:02 pm
1) Please keep in mind that you still must follow Gaia ToS. This means no hentai or generally content above PG-13.

Themes allowed in a PG-13 movie:
bloodless violence, language , brief nudity, mild drug references.

I'm sure most of us have seen movies with such a rating, so you can easily use your discretion. Just keep in mind that generally movie raters shield the childrens from the F-word at PG-13 level.

2) General Rules/Role Play Etiquette

- In a role play your character is NEVER able to do 'whatever they want' this is called GOD MODING. Half the fun is the trials your character faces to get to where they're going.

- When typing OOC (Out of Character) It's general practice to use some sort of double brackets, or differentiating it SOMEHOW from your action.
Example:
((. . .Guys, you have to wait for my post before you keep making more actions that I can't keep up with. I have school, so I can't always come on.))

- Don't surround actions with STARS.
Bad: "You won't get away with this!" *shakes fist and runs after the thief*

Good: "You won't get away with this!" The shop keeper yelled, waving his fist in rage. He chased after the thief, making haste to take matters into his own hands.

3) In order to categorize the role plays, you must write a DESCRIPTIVE title as the subject of your post.

Bad example: Inu Yasha RP (come join~!)

Good example: Inu Yasha: Search for the Penguins RP

The REASON that this is a good example (while a completely bogus one), is that it's DESCRIPTIVE of the over all idea of the RP. You can't assume that your Inu Yasha role play is going to be the ONLY one EVER in the guild in history. Even if that does happen, users need to be able to pick your post out from others. Titles usually intrigue players to join rather than turn them away with "ugh another Inu Yasha role play full of made-up characters."

Reyvatiel Misha
Captain

Reyvatiel Misha
Captain

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2008 12:04 pm
4) Use skill levels in your post title. If you can't fit it, make sure it's one of the first things your post says.

[NEW] - This is a thread for people who have never role played before, to start to build skill by role playing with other new people and/or more advanced players who are willing to play at that level to give others experience. This may end up full of OOC (Out of Character) tips as well as many many 1 liner posts.

[BEG] - For those who have some experience, generally posts would end up about 1 short paragraph or maybe two, getting more descriptive than a NEW role play. I can't really say for sure how LONG, since people learn at different speeds, you should have role played for to be a beginner.

[INT] - For role players with more experience, able to be fairly descriptive. Posts generally get more in depth with how the character is in at least 2 types of conflict (self, nature, and other characters). I would say that at this level you SHOULD be typing at least 3 decent paragraphs per post, but sometimes the level of action that your character is involved in can be much less. However, I feel it wouldn't be too horrible at this level if one were to play 2 characters or even three if they so wished it.

[ADV] - For role players who have experienced many TYPES of role play already and could write a whole novel themselves (possibly an exaggeration?). What I mean is, people who have role played on message boards, chat rooms, through e-mail, or even on paper (?). At such a level, unless you want to spend many hours writing your post, it is best to only play one character.

An advanced player is able to be descriptive with skill and flair, using all aspects of the conflict mentioned in INT role plays. I would definitely cap ADV role plays at 3 quality paragraphs per post. It's not that hard at this level to write 1 paragraph about each conflict, unless your character is currently not interacting at all with another character.

Also, an ADV role player needs to be able to role play many different styles. . . .

5) Role Play Styles

There are many different ways to start a role play off. Usually the creator sets the scene by writing a descriptive idea of the setting for the role play, which provides a backdrop of what kind of characters will be involved.

You should clearly state (if your role play is from a show/game/movie/book) if you are accepting made up characters.

A) Character Profiles and Pictures

Simple to very descriptive info is used.

Example:

Name: Inu Yasha
Race: half Dog-demon half human
Personality: Inu Yasha is a courageous individual. His goal is to collect the shards of the Shikon-no-tama in order to become a full fledged demon. He's insecure about being a half-demon, because as a child he always was left out of society, unaccepted by either race. Inu Yasha has a tendency to be immature, but in reality he possesses a kind heart which is especially weak for a priestess by the name of Kikyou.

etc, etc even down to what he likes, doesn't like, favourite food, family members and status of them. . . relation to other characters in the game.

B) The Dynamic Entry

This style is one that I used mainly on IRC in which your character enters the scene with little known info about them, allowing the players to find out through meeting with your character. (unless otherwise worked out between players that your characters are already friends) This usually mean that you have a character plan worked out already, you're just not showing it to other players. You may or may not include a picture.

I used to role play a lot in RedDragonInn/BlkDragonInn/BlueDragonInn (there were so many over time) Meaning a TAVERN setting, so this is the type I will use for my example below:

Inu Yasha enters the Inn in a hurried manner. He slams the door behind him with a startling slam, as if he wished to disturb the other patrons with his entrance. He is about 5'7" tall, muscular build, snow white hair, and traditional Japanese style clothing in red from head to foot. He carries a sword at his side, ready for action at any given moment. His yellow eyes peer around the room, spotting an empty seat at the bar. His bare feet thump against the wooden floor as he makes his way over there. He hastily takes a seat, ordering a flask of wine from the barkeep while drumming his long claw-like fingernails on the wooden surface of the bar. . .

As you can see it makes your character seem much more vague, more like a REAL meeting with a person.

C) All Characters Already Accounted For

When all players are already familiar with the characters, there is really no need , unless you want, to describe them. In this case you would just set the scene, decide the starting point and position of all characters, and star the role play. . .

However, the style is difficult because it makes it difficult for others to join later on. It's a very closed style probably best kept for very exclusive role plays. Although no one is saying you can't form a role play team on the forums and claim "not currently accepting players".

There are other styles, but these are the most commonly used that I've come across in about 6 years of role playing or so. . .

The rest is up to you~! HAPPY ROLE PLAYING GUYS~!

♥Misha♥

The Outer Realms ~GENERAL ROLE PLAY~

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff