Welcome to Gaia! ::

Craftin' - A sewing, knitting and glue kind of place.

Back to Guilds

Reply Craftin'
A question about polymer clay charms...

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Ko Ko Skyeee

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2008 6:44 am
Recently, I've been making charms out of polymer clay. I paint them, and then when I glaze them with Sculpey Glaze (glossy). However, when I glaze it, the glaze makes the paint wipe off, so I often end up with a smudged charm.
So basically, what I want to know is what kind of glaze I should use to glaze polymer clay charms. I would prefer if it were spray-on (I find that much easier), but it doesn't matter. Also, I would like it if it was a glaze that makes the charm shiny.
Thanks!

Extra info:
I tried using some random spray-on glaze from a long time ago so that I wouldn't have to use a paintbrush to put the glaze on (because when I do that, it always get lumpy and gross) and so that the pain won't smudge. I glazed a cat charm, but since this random glaze I used isn't intended for glazing clay, it didn't turn out right. The bottom wouldn't glaze, and the glaze didn't look right. The charm felt sticky.  
PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2008 6:58 pm
A lot of crafters that work in polymer use a floor varnish to actually glaze their work. I believe Donna Kato actually has a glaze she's selling now as well. You can visit her site at Kato Poly Clay She's one of the premiere names in the art. Unfortunately, I've gotten out of clay for the most part cause I just don't have the room to work.  

weyrdkat

6,950 Points
  • Pie Enabler 100
  • Pie Feeder 50
  • Bunny Hoarder 150
Craftin'

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items