Welcome to Gaia! ::

Prisoners of Society- An Alternative Music Guild

Back to Guilds

Reply Prisoners of Society- An Alternative Music Guild
Not Related To Anything - I Just Want Some Input.

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Will you comment?
  Yes
  No
View Results

Kingdoms Roze

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2008 8:03 pm
Like the topic says, what I'm going to talk about to isn't related to anything particular - moreso related to me.

Okay, there's this nerve in my ear (we all have it), its the nerve that branches off to connect with the nerves that control balance and hearing. Anyway, because of a rare bone disease that I was born with, that nerve is being compressed. This nerve, which is in charge of hearing and balance, is also the facial nerve in the right side of my head that makes me able to smile.

Because it is being compressed (my skull is... the bone is abnormally formed, not majorly but inside it is.), I'm am suffering severre headaches, light-headedness, and dizziness.

Since my bone disease became active again this past, oh like - 2 months (it's been dormant for about 5 years), I've started my bone treatments to try and stop the compression and growth. The treatments are one solution to this problem.

Surgery is another. But it's brain surgery, because the nerve connects to the base of my brain stem and I'm going to get a catscan (no cats >3) to help my E.N.T. (Ear, Nose, and Throat)doctor determine whether or not the surgery is doable, and then we're going to this surgeon to see if he says it's not too risky.

If the surgery cannot be done, and if my treatments do not stop the abnormal growth of my skull, the nerve will be compressed and I will lose my hearing in my right ear forever, and the right side of my mouth will paralyzed, meaning I won't be able to smile (I'm not certain on those details).

Everything comes down to the doctor's opinion of if the surgery is doable, my parents decisions, and my decision of whether or not to have the surgery.

I've already decided I want the surgery if it's possible, but I'm starting to get scared because it's a brain surgery. (I'm usually not scared of surgery because [1] I trust the Children's Mercy Hospital doctors and surgeons because they've helped me before; and [2] I've already had four surgeries (three on my right arm and one on my neck to remove my thyroid)

But since my friends at school can't really grasp the concept of how important this is, and because I don't want everyone in school pitying me (because that's worse than them not caring in my opinion) - I would really like to see what you guys on here have to say.

I know that this isn't related to anything you guys have to deal with, but, again, I'm getting a bit worried/scared/nervous and I want other opinions on whether or not I should get the surgery and any other things you guys might have comments about.

This is probably really stupid but I'm doing it anyway (probably because I want advice and support, and because I'm 13 so I'm probably not thinking clearly - ah well. )

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2008 10:08 pm
D: *pats back*

If the surgery is given the 'Ok', you should probably get it, just so you don't regret not getting it later, when you're older.

Zealous Blue
Captain

Killer Zeit
Vice Captain

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2008 8:46 pm
I'd probably be scared if I had any surgery involving my head.

All I can say is that if you do go through with it, then make sure you like the doctor that's doing it.
You said that they've helped you before and it seems like they know what they're doing.

Brain surgery is a serious thing (not that other surgeries aren't) and I'm sure they have it all figured out. You said you've already had a few surgeries, and you went through all of those okay, so I'm sure it would be fine.
It's also not like they're going in there and don't know what they're looking for.

Oh, and don't be worried about talking to all of us about stuff like this. We'll be more than happy to comfort you and stuffs. 3nodding

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2008 10:27 pm
I do want the surgery - I happen to like my hearing 3nodding

Thanks for the support - the good thing is, that it won't happen over night. I'm meeting with the actual surgeon in April sometime - the 23rd, I think. It's not that soon but it's better than late June. ._.; I can the catscan on the.... Well, it's within the next two weeks anyway. *shrugs* I wasn't exactly pating attention when the set the date. <<; Mom was writing it down though. =D

And I'd hope they know what they're doing. sweatdrop

I guess I got kind of stressed out because I could lose my hearing (actually I could lose the hearing in my right ear and the sight in my left eyes - but the hearing's in jeopardy right now ), but it was one those things were you think "Oh, it'll never hapen to me!" It just came as a shock.

Thanks for the support and for replying. It means a lot. heart  

Kingdoms Roze

b0ybands

Shirtless Lunatic

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2008 2:34 am
Hm.
Uhm.
could you do both? You know
just in case
??

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2008 4:11 pm
Both treatments and the surgery?  

Kingdoms Roze

b0ybands

Shirtless Lunatic

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2008 8:05 am
Kingdoms Roze
Both treatments and the surgery?

You know, now that I think about it, it doesn't make sense.
Nevermind
disregard that comment. D:

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2008 11:33 pm
sweatdrop Okays. 3nodding  

Kingdoms Roze

labdarugas

7,250 Points
  • Medalist 100
  • Bunny Hoarder 150
  • First step to fame 200
PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2008 12:08 am
I understand, to a certain extent, how you feel. I had problems with my ears as a child too. I had fluids in my ears that was affecting my hearing and balance. I had tubes in my ear for a while and during that time the tubes had fallen out twice because they were too small. I also could have lost my hearing but in both ears. Now I get headaches that can be severe and from time to time ear aches but I would rather deal with the things like headaches then not being able to hear.

All I have to say is that in the long run if the surgery is approved then you should go for it because it is more or less the only option you have. If I sound cruel in anyways I apologize. I hope all goes well with it and I hope for only the best for you.  
PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2008 3:03 pm
labdarugas
I understand, to a certain extent, how you feel. I had problems with my ears as a child too. I had fluids in my ears that was affecting my hearing and balance. I had tubes in my ear for a while and during that time the tubes had fallen out twice because they were too small. I also could have lost my hearing but in both ears. Now I get headaches that can be severe and from time to time ear aches but I would rather deal with the things like headaches then not being able to hear.

All I have to say is that in the long run if the surgery is approved then you should go for it because it is more or less the only option you have. If I sound cruel in anyways I apologize. I hope all goes well with it and I hope for only the best for you.

You don't sound cruel, so don't worry. But yes, I will go with the suregery, should it be possible.  

Kingdoms Roze

labdarugas

7,250 Points
  • Medalist 100
  • Bunny Hoarder 150
  • First step to fame 200
PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2008 3:05 pm
Kingdoms Roze
labdarugas

You don't sound cruel, so don't worry. But yes, I will go with the suregery, should it be possible.

Well that's good that you have decided to do it if you can.

I hope everything works out.  
PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2008 7:57 pm
So do I. sweatdrop  

Kingdoms Roze

Prisoners of Society- An Alternative Music Guild

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out