Welcome to Gaia! ::

History Huggers

Back to Guilds

A guild for those who do want to live in the past! 

Tags: history, historical 

Reply Contests
First contest--Closed! Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

shirofoxes
Captain

Business Gekko

3,325 Points
  • Dressed Up 200
  • Gaian 50
  • Treasure Hunter 100
PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2008 9:31 pm
User Image

Welcome particpants!

I challenge you to write some poetry, and not just any poetry. I want you to go back in time and describe your favorite place as it might be then. You can examine your own home a thousand years ago, or see the pyramids as they're being built. (However, it must be fifty years or more ago from the day you write it).

You can choose whichever style of poetry suits you best, but if it's short (like haiku) then I suggest having several verses.

Also, we need at least ten people in order to end the contest and give the prize, so advertise like crazy. If you have a friend who's a member, get them to write. If you have a friend who's not a member, coerce them into joining razz

Our prize is the Devoted Pawn, donated by the lovely Aoi!

Good Luck!  
PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2008 9:50 pm
MY PEOPLE WERE TAKEN AND STRIPPED OF OUR FAITH AND MADE TO BELIEVE IN CHRIST. THEY HAVE ALL FORGOTTEN ALA BUT I WILL NOT FORGET ALA FOR I AM A PROUD AFRICAN WARRIOR AND I WILL NOT SURRENDER TO THE WHITE MAN AND BE HIS SLAVE  

the grey seer
Vice Captain

Tsubaki Aoi
Crew

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2008 9:35 pm
in memory of the past, and in mind for the future, keep the beliefs you hold and pass them on, for without them those that will come could not begin to understand who we are, great monuments should be built like those of Egypt, so they can too remember the past.

one of many examples as-to why i rather read then write  
PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2008 9:15 am
I like to write, but poetry isn’t my cup of tea, especially in a foreign language

The ocean spray rose, the sea roared
The clouds gathered, the cold wind howled
As the waves clashed the birds soared
A man stood still in the promontory hallowed

The Infant watched the ocean twist and turn
A fantastical vision of water and foam
Of a storm growing and building
Like that, his mind was dreaming

With his Gaze he could see what others didn’t dare
The sea wouldn’t be a barrier, a wall between men
But a bridge to unite, to unite distant fare
And in Sagres they would do all that they can

At his back the greatest minds and sages
All three people, separated in belief, were represented,
And for a single Dream they would unite to write new pages
And a new School of thought was then invented

The School of Sagres was then born as a new light
And from that point on, the entire world was to be renewed
From there brave men venture forth to engaged in a fight
Against old dogmas and myths that then were denude

A new view of the world was put bare
No more was the sea a thing to be scared
From a poor country with only a vision as guide
To spread the love world wide  

Doctor_Orc

shirofoxes
Captain

Business Gekko

3,325 Points
  • Dressed Up 200
  • Gaian 50
  • Treasure Hunter 100
PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2008 7:59 pm
Well, I'm gonna give it a try (although mine won't count, or that would be really unfair to you guys). If you like it, go ahead and comment on my profile or send me a PM and tell me what you think ^_^

Author: Shiro
Style: Haiku

Along the Nile
Rushing through the river
Small reed boats floating

Lions on the bank
Papyrus reeds disclosing
Lazy killer cats

Crocodiles hide
A wildebeest wanders by
SNAP go the big jaws

A king rules this land
His palace in the distance
A land of great wealth  
PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2008 3:55 pm
Here's my crack at poetry, but it's just written out...I don't know any styles, I just wrote.

Black and White
Gnome Guy (RQS)

Men and women
Wearing
Black and white
Melding into
A moral gray area
Condemning innocents
For the sake of Christ

The ‘witches’ take a stand
They start to pray
But it’s too late
The executioner pulls
The trapdoor swings
Their feet fall through
Swaying in the wind

Accusers are innocent
The accused are always
Guilty
But they sell themselves free
For just a few more witches
Protesters are accused
And Salem glows red as Hell  

Alonso Quijana

pj-narise

PostPosted: Fri Feb 29, 2008 12:30 pm
I'm a newbie here but i do have a poem for the contest. Though i thought since all of us are from different places and enjoy different periods of history i should add a premise.
This poem is based on the stories of captives from the French and Indian Wars that took place in the mid 1700's in New England U.S.

STOLEN:

I am a stolen man
held captive by the natives
of this land.

Not holy word, nor prophets, nor God
could loose these bonds
to which I've been thrown.

I am the beast of burden.
My wife I carry on my back.
In hopes to save the babe just borne
whose future I may never know.

We came here to save ourselves
but took the lands of others
instead.
Unknowing I meant no harm
Until that nigh they came
along.

Stolen were we.
Little clothes,
no shoes
Our choice a hatchet blade
or move.

To where and whence I do
not keen.
All stolen hope
to become
Our children's dreams.  
PostPosted: Fri Feb 29, 2008 8:19 pm
The Poetry Contest is now officially closed!

(don't worry, there'll be more soon)

The results are:

Jariah Syn and Aoi no Mizu: *sigh* I’m going to feel like such a meanie, but I have to say it—neither of you were chosen as finalists. It’s nothing personal, only that your poems had no rhythm or flow. They were lovely sentiments though ^_^

The following contestants seem to have all chosen freestyle, but if anyone disagrees don’t hesitate to tell me!

Doctor_Orc: Your poem had great flow and wonderful imagery. I’m not familiar with your subject, but that doesn’t affect your ‘grade’. Therefore you have been chosen as a finalist!

Shiro_Kitsune_San: Well I don’t count, silly!

gnomeguy1138: I would classify your poem as chiaroscuro (balance of dark and light) but that’s a form of painting razz It’s a great example of the controversy and chaos that was present during the Salem witch trials, and although it’s just a tad bit shorter than the others, you’re a finalist too!

pj-narise: Don’t worry about being new, your poem was lovely! You detail your subjects’ pain very poignantly. Your sense of rhythm was a bit choppy, but certainly not bad. You’ve made it to the finals!

The crew will choose (via PM with me) our winner. The winner will recieve the Devoted Pawn. (winners are going to be announced tomorrow)  

shirofoxes
Captain

Business Gekko

3,325 Points
  • Dressed Up 200
  • Gaian 50
  • Treasure Hunter 100

the grey seer
Vice Captain

PostPosted: Fri Feb 29, 2008 8:50 pm
Shiro_Kitsune_San
The Poetry Contest is now officially closed!

(don't worry, there'll be more soon)

The results are:

Jariah Syn and Aoi no Mizu: *sigh* I’m going to feel like such a meanie, but I have to say it—neither of you were chosen as finalists. It’s nothing personal, only that your poems had no rhythm or flow. They were lovely sentiments though ^_^

The following contestants seem to have all chosen freestyle, but if anyone disagrees don’t hesitate to tell me!

Doctor_Orc: Your poem had great flow and wonderful imagery. I’m not familiar with your subject, but that doesn’t affect your ‘grade’. Therefore you have been chosen as a finalist!

Shiro_Kitsune_San: Well I don’t count, silly!

gnomeguy1138: I would classify your poem as chiaroscuro (balance of dark and light) but that’s a form of painting razz It’s a great example of the controversy and chaos that was present during the Salem witch trials, and although it’s just a tad bit shorter than the others, you’re a finalist too!

pj-narise: Don’t worry about being new, your poem was lovely! You detail your subjects’ pain very poignantly. Your sense of rhythm was a bit choppy, but certainly not bad. You’ve made it to the finals!

The crew will choose (via PM with me) our winner. The winner will recieve the Devoted Pawn. (winners are going to be announced tomorrow)

it's cool  
PostPosted: Fri Feb 29, 2008 11:02 pm
rofl great choices! i always knew that i would not make it to the finals i just wanted to encourage people to post, plus there would be no point in me wining being the secretary of awards (self proclaimed title). i will give my choise by tomorow at 1pm.  

Tsubaki Aoi
Crew

pj-narise

PostPosted: Sat Mar 01, 2008 12:40 am
Cool. Thanks. i figured someone would comment on the style. The choppy style is on purpose. The start stop of rhyming (which i rarely do), and size of the the stanzas and word stolen are placed specifically through out the poem to give a sense of staggering. i.e. like you are carrying a heavy burden and can't concentrate biggrin  
PostPosted: Sat Mar 01, 2008 1:45 pm
Thanks! I didn't know I was any good. Even if I don't win, I'm quite happy to have been a finalist.

PS - @pj-narise: You did a really good job on your poem, especially with the 'sense of staggering.'  

Alonso Quijana

shirofoxes
Captain

Business Gekko

3,325 Points
  • Dressed Up 200
  • Gaian 50
  • Treasure Hunter 100
PostPosted: Sat Mar 01, 2008 3:15 pm
Oooh! That didn't even occur to me sweatdrop

That's wonderful use of creativity, pj-narise--I hope you get published someday! You could get far in the poem business razz  
PostPosted: Sat Mar 01, 2008 8:55 pm
Awww. Thanks for the support. *hugs* it means a lot to me.  

pj-narise

shirofoxes
Captain

Business Gekko

3,325 Points
  • Dressed Up 200
  • Gaian 50
  • Treasure Hunter 100
PostPosted: Sun Mar 02, 2008 3:14 pm
Well...we were supposed to have announced the winner yesterday, but some of the crew hasn't replied yet. If they don't reply by Tuesday, we'll just go on.

Sorry guys--hang in there! *apologies*  
Contests

Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces