Welcome to Gaia! ::

~*The Surreal Sanctuary*~

Back to Guilds

This guild is a safe haven for the literate of Gaia. It is a hang-out where otakus, writers, readers, artists, and musicians can have fun. 

Tags: anime, roleplay, writer, books, gold 

Reply *♦*The Writers' Oasis*♦*
The Writing Advice Game! Goto Page: 1 2 3 4 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Otulissa
Captain

Eloquent Explorer

PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2008 1:37 pm
Basically, this is a writing advice game. Yes, I know, creative title. xp Anyhow, what you do is really simple. One person gives advice, in one sentence, and then the next person would say something positive about that advice, and then write a different piece of advice. This is a great way to form the guild's own little anthology of advice. wink

Example:

Person A:
Quote:
Always double-check your work.

Person B:
Quote:
Whoa! I never do that; thanks! No wonder you're soooo good at writing.

Use figurative language in your poetry.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2008 1:39 pm
Use a thesaurus if you need help for word choice.  

Otulissa
Captain

Eloquent Explorer

Blood_Covered_Pheonix

PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2008 3:23 pm
That could help me.

Check your spelling.  
PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2008 3:48 pm
Oh geez. I'd be great if I did that more often.

Occasionally have another person read your work to make sure that the writing makes sense.

The Phantom Magician

Dapper Prophet

Otulissa
Captain

Eloquent Explorer

PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2008 4:03 pm
Hm...maybe I shouldn't keep my writing to myself so much. XD

If you are typing on the computer, don't always trust spell-check. For example, you may type 'where' wrong, but it will correct it to 'were.' Technology is not as useful as the brain.  
PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2008 4:33 pm
Ya, good point, there and their and all that. Important stuff =]

also, try having a bunch of different age groups and both genders read your work. It really helps direct your audience when you have your mother yelling at you for cursing and your little sister asking what a word means. XD  

manic mischief

Otulissa
Captain

Eloquent Explorer

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2008 5:06 am
LOL! That forms a funny picture in my head....ooh...family feud brewing up ! Anyhow, that's great for figuring out your audience~!

When peer-editing, be sure to tell the editor which parts you like or dislike, so they know what to specifically look at.  
PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2008 8:59 am
I'll have to remember that for when I actually get an editor. whee

When you get writers' block, try doing something else for a while until you get inspired. For example, I always take a walk. To my fridge. wink  

Jade Anna

ShortyGirl45

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2008 11:01 am
Haha! Great idea, espically for those like me who are engulfed in the black pit of writer's block half of their lives.

Wait a while before deciding something you write is completely finished, often if you finish something and check it right away it looks close to perfect, if you wait a day you'll often see mistakes you didn't see before.  
PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2008 2:08 pm
Maybe I should do that sometimes... sweatdrop

When editing someone else's work, do not say something insulting like, "This stinks" or "You stink." I mean..that's just going to make people feel bad. So, use constructive criticism. Like, for example, "You should choose better word choice" or "Maybe you should revise this part."  

Otulissa
Captain

Eloquent Explorer

Irishroseh
Crew

Aekea Athlete

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2008 2:14 pm
Great tip, I need to work on that :]]

be descriptive!

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2008 2:53 pm
Yeah, a scene where you're describing a battle wouldn't quite be the same without using descriptive language for all the blood and gore. twisted ....That's a good thing about the advice, right? xp

Never get offended or angry when someone completely hates what you've written. Calmly ask them to tell you what they think could be better about it. If they can't answer, don't let their opinion bother you.  

Jade Anna

Otulissa
Captain

Eloquent Explorer

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2008 5:53 am
Good! That would be good to give yourself a confidence boost!

Never, ever, EVER copy someone else's writing. That's just...low!!  
PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2008 1:52 pm
Not to mention, it doesn't give you a chance to show others your own ability.

If you are stuck on names, sometimes a baby name book or the like can help.  

XxStaraxX

Otulissa
Captain

Eloquent Explorer

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2008 2:21 pm
YAY! biggrin I do that too! I actually own two baby name books. XD I like to mix and match names. And sometimes make up my own. But I use a baby name book as a guide...especially for meaningful names. Oh, and I like looking up Latin, French, or other language roots for names too.

Never rush through the development of your character. Sometimes, making a character profile like you do with RPs can help out when writing a story, so you can glance at the profile to make sure you're keeping the character 'in character.' It's like a cheat sheet!  
*♦*The Writers' Oasis*♦*

Goto Page: 1 2 3 4 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff