Welcome to Gaia! ::

The FIRST Shojo Beat Guild

Back to Guilds

Come visit us at The Shojo Beat Guild and talk about everything the magazine has to offer: Manga, Artists, J-music, and more!!! 

Tags: Shojo, Beat, Magazine, Tankoban, Girls 

Reply .: Dance to the Beat :: The Manga Forum :.
honey and clover

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Who's your leading man?
  Yuta Takemoto
  Takumi Mayama
  Shinobu Morita
  Hanamoto-sensei
  POLL WHORE
View Results

PerfectStranger_2-0

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2008 6:48 am
User Image
1 :: Story
2 :: Creator
3 :: Volumes
4 :: Movie
5 :: Anime

Original Post
Have you read Honey and Clover, one of the newest Shojo Beat series published in the magazine?
If you haven't, you're missing one of the funniest stories in like, EVER rofl rofl rofl rofl rofl rofl rofl rofl rofl rofl

This story is about three guys who are college students in a prestigious Tokyo Art University. One is a shy nice sophomore (Yuta Takemoto), one is an excentric senior (Takumi Mayama) and the other, well, the other is a 6th year senior who has a weird behavior (Shinobu Morita). Along with them, there are two lovely leading ladies: cute and brilliant freshman Hagumi Hanamoto (Yuta is in love with her, even if he doesn't admit it) and strong willed senior Ayumi Yamada (she's in love with Mayama, even if he's in love with his boss, anarchitech named Rika). Is a very funny story.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2008 4:17 pm
Story

Takemoto lives in a run down student apartment, where his greatest worry is when he'll next be able to afford to eat meat and whether he'll get to class on time. Although he's away from home and living on his own, Takemoto is far from finished growing up. Along with his crazy cast of friends, Morita, Mayama, Yamada, and Hagumi, Takemoto sets out to discover life and his true self.

Original Post
OOh I love this manga!

Morita-senpai makes me lol

I Am Hello Kitty -tu_ut-

Utagoe

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2008 1:37 pm
Creator

Chica Umino is the creator of honey and clover, which debuted in 2000 and received the Kodansha Manga Award in 2003. honey and clover was also nominated for the Tezuka Culture Prize and an award from the Japan Media Arts Festival.

Original Post
I voted for Yuta because I like some guys who are pretty timid at first, but as the story progresses, you can see how the character evolves and becomes a new person.

PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2008 12:26 pm
Volumes
Status in Japan :: complete at 10 volumes
Status in US :: 10/10 released

User Image
Volume 1
Takemoto, a sophomore art student in Tokyo, thinks his greatest worries in life are finding ways to eat more meat and getting to class on time. But with friends like his, life is never going to be that uninteresting.

User Image
Volume 2
Love is never easy for our heroes. Takemoto is forced to confront his resentment of his stepfather and his own feelings of being cast adrift, while Mayama and Ayu flounder in their unrequited loves and Morita faces the prospect of being held back another year.

User Image
Volume 3
Professor Hanamoto is off in Mongolia on a research trip, and Hagu is having a hard time coping. The gang do their best to help her out, especially Takemoto. But as graduation threatens to alter their friendships forever, Hagu begins to turn toward Morita...

User Image
Volume 4
Morita has disappeared, leaving his friends bereft and confused. Hagu and Takemoto turn to their art, while Mayama and Ayu cling to their unrequited loves. When his coworker begins to romance Ayu, Mayama can't help interfering. But what does he care, when he's nursing a flame for a woman he hasn't seen in a year?

User Image
Volume 5
Takemoto is nearing graduation, but he doesn't have a job lined up--he doesn't even know what he wants to do with his life. His friends try to be supportive, but they have their own dramas to act out. With his health failing and his heart in turmoil, how will Takemoto find the strength to carry on?

User Image
Volume 6
With graduation projects in full swing, Takemoto and Hagu are face-to-face with their future. Takemoto is still unclear about what he wants to do, and his complete lack of job prospects isn't helping. Hagu just wants to return to her home in the country to paint on her own time. But her professors and some of her friends are aghast at what they consider a waste of her talent. With pressure mounting from the outside world, what life-altering choices will these two make?

User Image
Volume 7
Takemoto's journey across Japan continues, and though he's sleeping in empty lots and subsisting on convenience store food, he seems to be getting closer to understanding what made him ride away from school and his friends. But with his money running out and his bike on its last legs, will he have to give up his quest before his finds what he's looking for?

User Image
Volume 8
Ayu still can't give up on her love for Mayama, even though his relationship with Rika seems to be deepening. Nomiya's growing interest in Ayu might be a balm to her broken heart, but he's moving to Tottori for six months! Is Ayu cursed to suffer hopeless love affairs forever?

User Image
Volume 9
The mystery behind Morita's obsession with money is finally revealed--he and his brother Kaoru need all the cash they can get their hands on to bankroll their revenge against the man who destroyed their father. Now they're finally close to their goal, but what will they do once their purpose for living is gone?

User Image
Volume 10
Final Volume! Hagu and Takemoto are the last of the gang to graduate, and after his bike odyssey Takemoto has a future in temple restoration. But Hagu's recent injury might steal her ability to paint forever. Can love make up for such a painful loss?

Quote:
I love this manga!!! It is cute, sweet, and funny! There are sad parts, and really funny parts too! If anyone really likes this, they should watch the anime version which is also really good.

Pandaccino

Noir-Harmonia

PostPosted: Thu May 22, 2008 7:29 pm
Movie

User Image
Based on the popular manga by Chica Umino which has sold over 10 million copies in Japan, honey and clover is a romantic comedy about a group of art school students who try to find their way. But when an innocent and talented 19-year-old girl enters their lives, things get a lot more complicated as love triangles result. Starring Yu Aoi (Hula Girls) and J-pop star Sho Sakurai. Directed by Masahiro Takata.
Bilingual: Japanese w/English Subtitles
Special Features:
Hanamoto Study Group
Original Japanese Trailers
Director and Cast

Original Post
I like Takemoto alot.
He's a good guy and deserves to be with Hagu-chan.

Honey and Clover is awesome!
my bf calls it Jerry Seinfeld and 4chan XD

PostPosted: Sat Jul 05, 2008 1:32 am
Anime

Digitally:
First 24 episodes available at HULU. More coming closer to release of the next box set.

User Image
Volume 1
Retail: $59.90/85.99 CAN
Rated T+ for older teens

Yuta Takemoto has no idea what’s in store for his life when he enrolls at a Tokyo art college, but he finds out right away it’ll never be dull! Love triangles form as fast as friendships when both Takemoto and senior classmate Shinobu Morita fall hard for shy artistic prodigy Hagumi Hanamoto. And while architecture student Takumi Mayama has his heart set on an older woman, dazzling ceramicist Ayu Yamada pines for him! Confused yet? Welcome to the bittersweet world of HONEY AND CLOVER…
(Episodes 1 – 12 plus bonus episode L)

User Image
Volume 2
Retail: $59.90/85.99 CAN
Rated T+ for older teens

Shinobu has disappeared to America, leaving both Yuta and Hagumi with very mixed feelings. But talk about mixed up! If Takumi's feelings are so tied up with Rika, why is he tied up in knots over his coworker Nomiya's romantic pursuit of Ayumi? Plus, senior projects are getting everyone down, but none more than Yuta, who in a sudden burst of reckless abandon takes off on his bicycle on an epic journey of self-discovery... Ah, the enthusiasm of youth!
(Episodes 13-24 plus bonus episode F)

Volume 3 - TBA
(Episodes 25-36)

kel aka gandy
Captain

Porcelain Rabbit Doll

The Committee Staff Genius

1,150 Points
  • Dressed Up 200
  • Member 100
  • Gaian 50
PostPosted: Sat Jul 05, 2008 3:29 pm
I love this manga, because of the unique art style & the story line .  
PostPosted: Mon Aug 18, 2008 7:20 pm
I like this manga and the anime because it is cute and very funny! I am looking forward to buying the full series! heart heart  

Pandaccino

I Am Hello Kitty -tu_ut-

PostPosted: Sun Sep 14, 2008 7:18 am
I'm not allowed to buy anymore manga sad
but I have the movie's dvd!! It's so sweet- I think there'll be a sequel because it only introduces the gist of the show, but it catches all the poignancy of the series.  
PostPosted: Tue Dec 02, 2008 9:55 pm
Another cute series, however I get very confused with the plot. I sometimes don't know whats going on.  

Clayra

PaintxMexLove

PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2009 3:44 pm
4laugh This series is totally my new obsession !!!

I relate with Morita sooo much, swear he could be mah twin brother @__@

Does anyone have a fave. scene theyd like to share ?? =]

.: Dance to the Beat :: The Manga Forum :.

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games
Mini-Games