Reply Buying and Advice
Sniper Rifle Help

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Blinkish

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2008 6:30 pm
Yeahh, so I need help with just some sniper rifle terms, and mostly how to use a scope... 3nodding

What I want to know is (and if you can help me out, please do) this:

-What does "a click" mean? neutral
-What are all the knobs on the scope for? (My scope for my gun is 4 x 32 Crosman) neutral
-Are all sniper rifles bolt action? neutral
-Which sniper rifle is the best? neutral

So yeah, if you can help me, please do. And if you have a website I can go to, to check this stuff out, it will be greatly appreciated... mrgreen

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2008 7:09 pm
A click is when you turn a knob on the rifle to change (I believe) elevation.

There cane be more knobs than just the usual ones, but normally there's one that changes magnification, one that moves the scope's view left and right and one that moves it up and down. Those are used normally for zeroing the scope so that the point of aim and the point of impact are the same at a specific distance.

No. The Dragunov SVD, the PSG-1, and several other sniper rifles are semi-automatic. But the vast majority are bolt-action.

The best? That's like asking which is the best soda. It depends on the user, the application, the distance, etc.

I hope I could help. I don't know tons about sniper rifles, but I know the basics and a little more. And welcome to the GGE!  

ArmasTermin

Fresnel
Crew

Citizen

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2008 7:11 pm
ArmasTermin
A click is when you turn a knob on the rifle to change (I believe) elevation.
A click changes either elevation or windage. The actual MOA value of this changes from scope to scope and gun to gun, and sometimes even within the gun. The rest of what Armas said looks pretty good though.  
PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2008 3:34 am
Blinkish
Yeahh, so I need help with just some sniper rifle terms, and mostly how to use a scope... 3nodding

What I want to know is (and if you can help me out, please do) this:

-What does "a click" mean? neutral
-What are all the knobs on the scope for? (My scope for my gun is 4 x 32 Crosman) neutral
-Are all sniper rifles bolt action? neutral
-Which sniper rifle is the best? neutral

So yeah, if you can help me, please do. And if you have a website I can go to, to check this stuff out, it will be greatly appreciated... mrgreen

1. and 2. There are two knobs on your scope, one is usually located at the top, the other on one of the sides. They should be right next to one another, covered by protective screw-on caps. Open 'em up and you'll see a slot in there for you to insert a flathead screwdriver. I use a Leatherman to adjust mine. One click is what you'll hear and feel as you rotate these knobs to adjust the windage and elevation.

3. Hardly. And 'sniper rifle' is a sickeningly broad term that has come to mean any rifle with a scope. Specialized marksman rifles, though, are far from bolt action only. In my company alone we use several semiautomatic M107 .50 BMG rifles (more commonly known outside the U.S. Army as the Barret M82A1A), several 7.62mm M24 bolt-action rifles based on the Remington 700 and a bunch of M14 7.62mm rifles.

Also, what Armas said is absolutely true. There is no such thing as the 'best' sniper rifle. For example, I've seen the WA2000 hailed as the 'best' sniper rifle. That's fantastic. But when your target is a HMMWV or other lightly armored vehicle, that .300 isn't gonna do a whole helluva lot to it. You need the stopping power of the .50BMG. Unfortunately, in my professional opinion, the M107 is a gigantic, ugly hunk of absolute worthless. Its a 3 MOA gun, for crying out loud. Doesn't have enough barrel length to sufficiently support such a large round accurately. So even the M107 isn't the 'best'.

I know a little bit about military (read that as 'U.S. Army - I don't know and I don't care what the jarheads are up to) sniping and I've been trained as a Squad Designated Marksman. I've learned a lot of good stuff, but I've got to admit I'm pretty rusty, and I'm also not that great a shot, believe it or not. I can qualify as an Expert by Army standards, usually hitting 38 our of 40 targets in standard rifle marksmanship, but 500 meters seems to be my wall. I'm really not great beyond there. Shooting a light machine gun is a completely different school of thought, one that I personally prefer. If there's any questions, been there, done that, got the mental scarring that goes with, so feel free to ask.  

MasterSergeant

Old Lord Brocktree

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2008 7:57 am
-What does "a click" mean? icon_neutral.gif
-What are all the knobs on the scope for? (My scope for my gun is 4 x 32 Crosman) icon_neutral.gif
-Are all sniper rifles bolt action? icon_neutral.gif
-Which sniper rifle is the best? icon_neutral.gif

A Klik stands for a Kilometer.
The knobs on the scopes are for adjusting windage, elevation, etc.
No, all sniper rifles are not bolt action, but they are often the most accurate.
There is no such thing as the best rifle. No such thing as a best anything, really. It's all in perspective. One might be better in one situation, but another might be better in a different situation.  
PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2008 9:05 am
MasterSergeant
I can qualify as an Expert by Army standards, usually hitting 38 our of 40 targets in standard rifle marksmanship, but 500 meters seems to be my wall. I'm really not great beyond there.
The trick to shooting long distance is to know how to gauge windage, which is something you can only learn through experience, and to realize how ******** finicky things are at that distance. Unless you are EXACTLY on target, that bullet is as good as wasted.
Quote:
I was waiting for that one. xd  

Fresnel
Crew

Citizen

Rommel_Desert_Fox

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2008 10:39 am
Fresnel
Quote:
Same here  
PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2008 9:43 pm
... and when you get to really long distance you have to account for the slightest wind change and at extreme distance, the Coriolis effect. Which, if you are in the northern Hemisphere causes the bullet to veer to the right, and opposite in the southern.

But unless you're going to shoot at something from over a mile away with a Barrett .50 I don't think you have to concern yourself with that.  

OberFeldwebel

Old Lord Brocktree

PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2008 7:44 pm
Fresnel
MasterSergeant
I can qualify as an Expert by Army standards, usually hitting 38 our of 40 targets in standard rifle marksmanship, but 500 meters seems to be my wall. I'm really not great beyond there.
The trick to shooting long distance is to know how to gauge windage, which is something you can only learn through experience, and to realize how ******** finicky things are at that distance. Unless you are EXACTLY on target, that bullet is as good as wasted.
Quote:

It's not incorrect. Just a double meaning word.  
PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2008 1:03 pm
Old Lord Brocktree
Fresnel
Quote:

It's not incorrect. Just a double meaning word.
I know, but it's kind of a smart-a** response. I still laughed, though. xd  

Fresnel
Crew

Citizen

Buying and Advice

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out