Reply Buying and Advice
Magazine Care? Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

ArmasTermin

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2008 6:49 pm
I was just wondering what those of the GGE do for magazine care. And I had a few questions.

Do you ever remove the springs of your magazines to release the constant tension on them?

Does keeping a magazine full for a long length of time strongly limit its lifespan?

Is (internal) magazine oiling recommended or necessary?

Why haven't companies started putting clear plastic windows in magazines so you can get a quick, easy way to tell your ammunition count? I know it might be a bit less cost effective and they might be more expensive, but I think it's a good idea.  
PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2008 7:06 pm
Every year or so I puff a bit of graphite into my AR mags, but that's it. I do anything else to them. I did modify one, and when I did it I almost couldn't get it back together, so that's scared me a bit, but they've never given me any problems. As for the springs losing their springiness, I'm pretty certain that's a urban legend, and won't happen even if you store the mags loaded.  

Fresnel
Crew

Citizen

uryu ishida

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2008 7:19 pm
The more modern springs (as I've been educated by Lord Plate) are more fatigued by being loaded and unloaded more than they are by being kept loaded. Even if they did, buy lots of magazines, or in my case, magazine springs! (internal tubular, Marlin 336C, all of $8 for a new spring)  
PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2008 7:38 pm
What Plate/Fressy/Uryu said, fatigue is caused by repeated compression and decompression of the spring.
It's really not something you should worry about. I've never had a spring break on me and I've put a lot of lead downrange.

As for lubing the mag, I usually just tear it down every few months and wipe the spring down with CLP. It's not necessary, but I'm a**l about dust and lint on my carry piece.

Just another reason to love P-mags.
User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.  

I am an eggplant
Crew

Fresnel
Crew

Citizen

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2008 7:49 pm
SierraBT
What Plate/Fressy/Uryu said, fatigue is caused by repeated compression and decompression of the spring.
It's really not something you should worry about. I've never had a spring break on me and I've put a lot of lead downrange.

As for lubing the mag, I usually just tear it down every few months and wipe the spring down with CLP. It's not necessary, but I'm a**l about dust and lint on my carry piece.

Just another reason to love P-mags.
Is it possible to pop open a P-mag and put some lead in it, for weight?  
PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2008 8:00 pm
Are those P-mags only for rifles? Or do they have them for common pistol models, too? Probably not. If so, I want some.  

ArmasTermin

Floyd

Quotable Prophet

14,750 Points
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
  • Entrepreneur 150
  • Wall Street 200
PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2008 8:20 pm
Somewhere in my Guns and Ammo collection I have a photo of a rare pre WWII Luger with a see through slot in the grip for checking on the number of rounds in the magazine. Seemed like it was too much of a risk for allowing grime and grit into the gun.  
PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2008 10:05 pm
The luger had horrible problems with contaminants causing jams so I can imagine that would make it more of a b***h to deal with.  

Rommel_Desert_Fox

MasterSergeant

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2008 3:55 am
I don't. Then again, my carry piece is belt-fed. I don't have to worry about magazine springs. Magazine springs are for losers, ha ha ha ha ha ha!

Kidding, kidding.

Anyway, the Army recently stopped issuing 15-round 9mm magazines for the M9 Beretta for this reason. They're now issuing 10 rounds. But when it takes 8 rounds to drop someone... I'm not gonna finish that thought, I'll make myself have a heart attack.

I'd advise either leaving the mag loaded or empty, don't ******** around with it and constantly load and unload.

Most gun oils attract dust, believe it or not. I use Militech on my light machine gun and it works wonders. If you're gonna oil up your mag spring, use Militech. If you're gonna use gun oil at all, use Militech.  
PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2008 9:45 pm
Rommel_Desert_Fox
The luger had horrible problems with contaminants causing jams so I can imagine that would make it more of a b***h to deal with.

Why not bring up the Chauchat as well?

OberFeldwebel

Thdark

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2008 10:50 pm
OberFeldwebel
Rommel_Desert_Fox

Is the Chauchat something that has to be brought up? Can't it be left alone, to you know, die?

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2008 11:32 pm
I typically wipe down the mag spring in my mosin, just because I hate a dirty rifle.  

Freak_090
Captain

OberFeldwebel

PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2008 11:12 am
Thdark
OberFeldwebel
Rommel_Desert_Fox

Is the Chauchat something that has to be brought up? Can't it be left alone, to you know, die?

NEVAR! lol  
PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2008 11:34 am
The Chauchat: Truly an iconic symbol and testament of French engineering. (that should burn in hell)  

Freak_090
Captain

OberFeldwebel

PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2008 4:01 pm
Freak_090
The Chauchat: Truly an iconic symbol and testament of French engineering. (that should burn in hell)

... and burn it should.  
Buying and Advice

Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces