Welcome to Gaia! ::

Gaian Grammar Guild

Back to Guilds

The Gaian Grammar Guild is a refuge for the literate, a place for them to post and read posts without worrying about the nonsensical ones. 

Tags: grammar, literate, english, language 

Reply Gaian Grammar Guild
One more grammar topic before I go: the word "barf".

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Tezur

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2008 5:31 pm
No, I'm not saying "barf" as my farewell greeting to you all before I go, in fact I'd say the opposite, like "darn, are you going to miss me". I just thought I'd bring up one more old-fashioned gripe about annoying uses of grammar outside of this and grammatically correct guilds in general.

As mentioned it's the word "barf". Really, nothing says juvenile delinquent than that one word. But how common is it amongst a certain age group to use that word or "puke" even rather than just "vomit", which still would have been acceptable. While it's enough for teachers to get ticked off at hearing that and sending these kids to the principal, more often there are stupid self-promoting kids that use that word online. Really, even listening while watching kids' shows(!) is disturbing. Do me a favor and TEACH KIDS DISCIPLINE!!

Well no matter, I'm leaving, but feel free to reply either here or through PM. I may start my own guild in the future but I need to cut down on internets to do my responsibilities around my apartment.  
PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2008 7:57 am
Did you know that the first recorded use of the word "puke" was in one of Shakespeare's plays? 3nodding Okay, there went my random fact o' the day.

While "barf" is fairly inelegant, I don't see anything particularly wrong with the word itself; only its usage.

Even though I don't know you personally, it's always a shame to have such a contributor to the guild leave.  

MyOwnBestCritic

Dapper Dabbler

Quatrina

PostPosted: Tue Apr 01, 2008 9:23 pm
The word "barf" makes me think of River City Ransom before anything else. God, I'm such a dork.  
PostPosted: Wed Apr 02, 2008 12:32 pm
When I hear "Barf," I think of the mog (half-man, half-dog) companion to Lonestar in Spaceballs.  

Sachiko13

Gaian Grammar Guild

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff