Welcome to Gaia! ::

Gaian Grammar Guild

Back to Guilds

The Gaian Grammar Guild is a refuge for the literate, a place for them to post and read posts without worrying about the nonsensical ones. 

Tags: grammar, literate, english, language 

Reply Gaian Grammar Guild
The word "ignorant"

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Annoyed?
  YES!
  Not really.
  That's what ignorant means?
View Results

Invisible Rainbows

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2008 3:19 pm
This annoys me to no end. Someone will walk by and say, "He's so ignorant." GAHH! My ears bleed.

The word ignorant, and I quote from Merriam-Webster Online, means:

Quote:
1 a: destitute of knowledge or education ; also : lacking knowledge or comprehension of the thing specified b: resulting from or showing lack of knowledge or intelligence
2: unaware, uninformed
— ig·no·rant·ly adverb

In other words, not knowing or not knowledgeable.

They seem to be confusing the word with "arrogant" which means to be full of one's self, pompous, or vain.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2008 5:53 am
Well, is there a possibility that they're using it like that? I mean, if I call someone ignorant, it could be taken like they're annoying because they don't know anything... I'unno...  

Doppelgaanger

7,350 Points
  • Forum Junior 100
  • Invisibility 100
  • Mark Twain 100

MyOwnBestCritic

Dapper Dabbler

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2008 7:53 am
They may have meant "ignorant." Are you sure that was not the intended meaning?  
PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2008 12:11 am
MyOwnBestCritic

"Ignorant" is misused all the time (and it does really get under my skin). Young people, especially, tend to use it as a synonym for "rude" or "inconsiderate." scream  

Woodnut

Patron with a Mission

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2008 12:35 am
I had never seriously thought of that. I don't know if the way I use it is right.

I use the word ignorant to mean someone who's either uncultured or simply doesn't know about the subject at hand, i.e.: "He's ignorant when it comes to computers." To me, it sounds right. But if it's not, well, that's why I'm here: to learn and be able to teach others correctly. 3nodding  
PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2008 7:10 pm
Dameon_Patron_of_Healing
I had never seriously thought of that. I don't know if the way I use it is right.

I use the word ignorant to mean someone who's either uncultured or simply doesn't know about the subject at hand, i.e.: "He's ignorant when it comes to computers." To me, it sounds right. But if it's not, well, that's why I'm here: to learn and be able to teach others correctly. 3nodding

Actually, I think you are correct.

Ignorant could be compared to stupid, no? That is how I've always used it.

Zen Bassist

Patron with a Mission

PostPosted: Fri Feb 29, 2008 2:40 pm
A Hardcore Goldfish
Dameon_Patron_of_Healing

Actually, I think you are correct.

Ignorant could be compared to stupid, no? That is how I've always used it.

Actually, I took it to be a nice way of calling someone stupid. -shrugs-  
PostPosted: Sat Mar 01, 2008 2:17 pm
It drives me crazy. People use it incorrectly all the time here.

@Dameon- That is the correct usage.

I don't know why. It seriously bugs me though. I've told people the real meaning, one girl actually said, "You must be joking. I think I'd know the meaning of the words I use everyday." Apparently not.

That's what I get for living in a farming community though. Middle of nowhere. Some people really are intelligent around here, but the majority of my class just has no work ethic, and really wants to drop out after their sophomore year. 50% of last years sophomores failed, and the reason so many are in still is because they went to summer school.

Invisible Rainbows

OmG NoMoR3

PostPosted: Tue Mar 04, 2008 3:07 pm
Oh, it simply drives me up the wall to hear people misusing that word! Their ignorance keeps them from knowing what I mean when I say it. O_o

I remember a child in the band with me in high school actually going tohis parents because the band instructor called him ignorant in the proper sense. He thought it meant stupid, and so did his ignorant parents.

And @ Woodnut... I know what you mean by the "rude and inconsiderate synonym" thing. I dated a moron once, and he and his friends believed this to be that word's true meaning... It really burned me up. stressed

I'm just so glad the guy I'm with now has a brain! ^_^

PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2008 5:54 pm
It's nice to see people using it properly, though. Ignorance shouldn't mean stupid, rude or inconsiderate, but I think the reason people use it is because ignorance usually may be the root of inconsideration, rudeness, or arrogance, and most assumptions for using the term ignorance are based on that reason alone.

I really always use it for the "not knowledgeable" definition though. But just because a person doesn't know something shouldn't mean he's stupid.

But I was considering... if a person was well informed of the knowledge at a recent time but continues his "not knowledgeable"-like behavior, would that be the right use for the word ignorant? I get confused easily... sweatdrop  

dj_axelangel

Invisible Rainbows

PostPosted: Sat Mar 08, 2008 5:29 am
@dj - No, I think it's when you actually don't know something. Not acting like it. It is a very good word though, but it does have negative connotations, so you want to be careful when using it. Also, because so many people use it incorrectly, you have to be careful when using it around people that are ignorant to the correct definition.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 09, 2008 9:01 pm
Woodnut
MyOwnBestCritic

"Ignorant" is misused all the time (and it does really get under my skin). Young people, especially, tend to use it as a synonym for "rude" or "inconsiderate." scream

I am completely on your side. Ignorant is too often misused.  

FantasyHearts

Emilem

Quotable Dabbler

6,650 Points
  • Forum Dabbler 200
  • Generous 100
  • Big Tipper 100
PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2008 3:53 pm
Real eyes | Realize | Real lies

Everything I had to say has already been said.
All except for this:
The people who misuse "Ignorant" are often the ones that pronouce it "Ignint".
Which (I am NOT trying to start a racial thing, here. Honest.) is normally black people, since a majority of the time they have that thick "Black accent".
Althought I like to refer to it as "Brain Cell Lackage".

Though I've been through much and heard many a tale,
My tale will still never be as much.

Gaian Grammar Guild

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces