Reply ~ Main Forum ~
Gothic Attitudes

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

[~Snow~]

PostPosted: Tue Mar 04, 2008 11:22 am
Here's a question that just came to me that I thought to ask you allz.
The question involves emo culture, that strange offset of gothic culture that many claim to be a cheap imitation. But is it really?

When I have conversations with friends that used their social label maker to call themselves goth, the answer I get is often split.

I am of the personal opinion that emo is not a cheap offshoot of anything, and is its own personal lifestyle choice. Just as goth, its rarely as bad as parents and the press make it out to be, and I personally find some of its unique styles charming. Plus its fun to see goths and emos hanging out, because its like the social minorities are teaming up to take over the world.

But what about the users here. What are your delicious thoughts on the issue? Just squish them right here if you would be so kind. 4laugh  
PostPosted: Tue Mar 04, 2008 12:18 pm
[~Snow~]

The question involves emo culture, that strange offset of gothic culture that many claim to be a cheap imitation. But is it really?

That's the problem - the two are unrelated.

The term 'emo' was coined by Ian McKaye to describe his post-hardcore band Fugazi. It was a reaction to the 'tough guy' subculture that had developed around hardcore punk and Straight Edge.

The emo haircut and post-punk dresscode eventually developed, and by the early 2000-'s, a pop punk varient had arisen with bands like Fall Out Boy and Saves The Day.

Abselotely nothing to do with Goth, apart from the common hertiage in punk.  

xStephanx

IY_and_MCR
Crew

5,650 Points
  • Member 100
  • Beta Citizen 0
  • Beta Treasure Hunter 0
PostPosted: Tue Mar 04, 2008 12:32 pm
If only there was a thread dedicated to discussion related to labels. :3  
~ Main Forum ~

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff