Welcome to Gaia! ::

Gaian Grammar Guild

Back to Guilds

The Gaian Grammar Guild is a refuge for the literate, a place for them to post and read posts without worrying about the nonsensical ones. 

Tags: grammar, literate, english, language 

Reply Gaian Grammar Guild
Nerd, geek, or "neek"?

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Nerd or Geek?
  Nerd
  Geek
  I think this post says more about you than you know.
  Gold!
View Results

Chocolatepanacea

PostPosted: Sun Mar 09, 2008 11:50 am
I was talking to a friend the other day, and we realised that we were unaware of the actual "proper" use of the words geek and nerd. I've continued to talk to people who are also unsure of the proper terminology.

Thus, I looked "geek" and "nerd" up on UrbanDictionary.com, and got the following:

GEEK:
"The term now enjoys a special status within the technical community, particularly among particularly knowledgable [sic] computer programmers. To identify oneself as a "geek" indicates a recognition that most people still consider programming computers to be a bizarre act, along with a certain fierce satisfaction in being very good at their inglorious profession."

NERD:
"An 'individual', i.e. a person who does not conform to society's beliefs that all people should follow trends and do what their peers do. Often highly intelligent but socially rejected because of their obesssion with a given subject, usually computers."

A problem arises when we realise that "nerd" is pejorative, and "geek" is usually more... positive. Ergo, I've coined the phrase "neek," a nerd and geek in one, mend as a positive or negative term.

What confuses me, however, is why "nerd" is suppose to be negative, whereas "geek" is rarely offensive... yet stems from those who eat chicken heads. Any explanation?  
PostPosted: Sun Mar 09, 2008 7:52 pm
... Neek is what Duddits called sneakers in Stephen King's Dreamcatcher... "Fit wha? Fit neek?"... Had to point that out. >.>

Well, I've never really considered being a nerd to be a bad thing. Is not conforming to trends and being particularly good a certain skill really so bad? Perhaps I think this way because I've always been a bit of a "nerd"... I prefer to follow my own path, be it in actions or... clothing, even! Plus, I love being all computer savvy and dressing like an anime character on occasions. ^_^;

Plus, I must point out those t-shirts that everyone wears that say something along thing lines of "I <3 Nerds".

OmG NoMoR3

Argent Wraith

PostPosted: Mon Mar 24, 2008 6:47 am
I looked it up in the dictionary. Yes, I have no life. XD The definition of "geek" is a performer who performs wild, disgusting, and bizarre acts, and the definition of "nerd" is a person who lacks social skills, is boringly studious, and is a single-minded expert in a certain field. So, I'm not sure. I've always called my friends (and myself, sometimes!) nerds (in jest). Nowadays, the words can be used with their traditional meaning, as a derogatory term, or in jest.

I like "neek," though!

User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.Visit my new quest thread, please?

PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2008 8:50 am
I always thought of nerds as the smart studious type who enjoys math, while I see geeks as the dorky type, like gamers, trekkies, otaku, etc.  

Odenpa Kunoichi

Shadowy Girl

11,875 Points
  • Signature Look 250
  • Popular Thread 100
  • Citizen 200

Dragon Razikale

Relentless Dragon

13,150 Points
  • Citizen 200
  • First step to fame 200
  • Tycoon 200
PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2008 4:26 pm
Neek is an excellent word and I'm glad that I randomly decided to look in again and see your post. 3nodding sweatdrop Though, I did have some strange thought that geeks were really into sex...but I have no idea why!?  
PostPosted: Fri Jul 11, 2008 11:56 pm
I thought that a nerd and a geek were the same, but my older brother explained to me that they're not... somehow. In a long explanation I can't even remember @_@. However, to put it in simple terms for me, he stated that there are 3 statuses- Nerd, Geek, and Dork. (I don't why, but it was funny when he explained it.) The explanation was pretty long for this too, so I'll ask him about it later when he comes back from his mini vacation ._.  

Swell Sundae

Organic Shadows

PostPosted: Sat Jul 12, 2008 5:10 pm
The original meaning of 'geek' was a circus entertainer who bit the heads off of live chicken. Isn't that awesome?  
PostPosted: Tue Jul 15, 2008 9:25 pm
I am a geek. I'm not a nerd because i'm not smart. I just do and like weird things.  

SiCKittie

Patron with a Mission

PostPosted: Fri Jul 18, 2008 9:02 am
I had to laugh to myself when my stepmom told me I needed to stop dressing like a "geek," and I immediately thought of this post.

I am fairly intelligent, though I am not a true genius; I just love the things I love, and apparently that makes me unpopluar. I stopped caring a long time ago. So, whether geek or nerd, I'm happy to be who I am.

Neek? I like the sound of that. 3nodding As for why one is offensive and the other is not, I have no clue. The world sure is a funny place.  
PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2008 3:48 am
For me, the definition of "nerd" is of a reclusive person who is happy at being left alone doing whatever it is he/she likes to do. Now, this is usually something very "tough" or "thinking-heavy," like mathematics and whatnot.

A "geek" can generally socialize, however he/she has a specific subject matter or hobby which he/she enjoys very much to the point of (or close to) obsession.  

Triste

Zemedelphos

4,750 Points
  • Hygienic 200
  • First step to fame 200
  • Forum Sophomore 300
PostPosted: Sun Jul 27, 2008 4:05 pm
Here is my stand on it, geek is seen as a positive term, due to the fact that everyone is a bit of a geek. To me, geek is basicly one with an extreme amount of knowledge of a particular subject, so calling someone a geek is playful.

Nerd, however, is extremely derogatory.

What point would, neek serve, I wonder though.  
PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2008 8:54 pm
Mitsuki the ninja
I always thought of nerds as the smart studious type who enjoys math, while I see geeks as the dorky type, like gamers, trekkies, otaku, etc.

I agree! 3nodding Although it might just be because I think of myself as a nerd.... But I'm not antisocial or anything, so I don't know....  

MyntyGreen

Gaian Grammar Guild

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff