Welcome to Gaia! ::

~ Midnight Moon ~

Back to Guilds

~ for pagans, wiccans and witches ~ 

Tags: wiccan, witchcraft, paganism, wicca, heathenry 

Reply *~Forum~* (general discussion/questions)
Are the terms "witch" and "wizard" interchangeable. Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Stargazer Dante

PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2008 6:14 am
Just a random question. I feel like a fluff XD.

So are the terms "witch" and "wizard" interchangeable.

I have always found that "witch" is a proper form and "wizard" has never quite been mentioned within my studying,But are they interchangable,or should I say:
"Can one call himself a wizard,And can one herself a witch?"  
PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2008 6:59 am
yes. i have herd men call themselves either/or. biggrin say whatever is best for you.  

The gypsy Queen

mechanical kitsy
Crew

PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2008 1:49 pm
i cant quite say. i've heard a lot of negatives about people calling themselves wizards.  
PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2008 7:21 pm
well the term wizard is surrounded by a lot of fluff and a lot of the fluffier pagans do go by that term but i prefer witch.  

WitchyBoy

2,100 Points
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
  • Flatterer 200
  • Cart Raider 100

Philod

PostPosted: Fri Apr 04, 2008 12:23 pm
i've been wondering about that myself. not necessarily about the word 'wizard' but about other words that would be interchangeable with 'witch.' are there any?  
PostPosted: Fri Apr 04, 2008 4:55 pm
I have heard 'Wiccan' and 'Witch' used interchangeably.  

Tari_Leralonde

WitchyBoy

2,100 Points
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
  • Flatterer 200
  • Cart Raider 100
PostPosted: Fri Apr 04, 2008 9:22 pm
Tari_Leralonde

there is a qupote that says, "all wiccans are witches but not all witches are wiccan." so they are somewhat interchangeable but not universally, for example i am a witch who follows the wiccan faith.  
PostPosted: Thu May 08, 2008 5:32 am
WitchyBoy
Tari_Leralonde

there is a qupote that says, "all wiccans are witches but not all witches are wiccan." so they are somewhat interchangeable but not universally, for example i am a witch who follows the wiccan faith.

Yeah, exactly. Not every Witch is a Wiccan, but every Wiccan is a witch. Like... all Concords are Grapes, but not all Grapes are Concords.

As to Wizard and Witch, I think that's up to the individual. Neither has a set of explicitly prescribed beliefs, unlike Wicca, so its difficult to say whether they mean the same thing. But in the Pagan community, "Wizard" has acquired a fluffy connotation from Harry Potter, where as "Witch" has not. So, if you call yourself a Wizard, some people may assume that you've read Harry Potter one to many times. Still, I think it's up to the individual. If the title calls to you, by all means use it biggrin  

Rowan MacGregor

Playgunny

PostPosted: Thu May 08, 2008 10:09 am
This would depend on who you are talking to. One Wiccan may consider the terms interchangeable, another may not. I do NOT see them as interchangeable, but that's just me.  
PostPosted: Wed Jun 04, 2008 5:39 am
Quote:
wizard

c.1440, "philosopher, sage," from M.E. wys "wise" (see wise (adj.)) + -ard. Cf. Lith. zynyste "magic," zynys "sorcerer," zyne "witch," all from zinoti "to know." The ground sense is perhaps "to know the future." The meaning "one with magical power" did not emerge distinctly until c.1550, the distinction between philosophy and magic being blurred in the Middle Ages. As a slang word meaning "excellent" it is recorded from 1922.

I suppose it COULD be used interchangably, but face it, the public has a hard enough time swallowing the word 'witch', why bring up imagery of Harry Potter for them? xp  

Korealia

Distinct Seeker

3,350 Points
  • Treasure Hunter 100
  • Full closet 200
  • Money Never Sleeps 200

WitchyBoy

2,100 Points
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
  • Flatterer 200
  • Cart Raider 100
PostPosted: Wed Jun 04, 2008 11:37 am
personally i find the term wizard to be quite fluffy but its up to the person involved.  
PostPosted: Wed Jun 04, 2008 1:38 pm
I think you would be very hard pressed to find anyone that would take you seriously if you called yourself a wizard. Even a simple Google search only turns up RP and gaming references (and a few businesses), nothing Witchcraft related. But as has been said, it is your choice.  

too2sweet
Captain

Tipsy Fairy

WitchyBoy

2,100 Points
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
  • Flatterer 200
  • Cart Raider 100
PostPosted: Thu Jun 05, 2008 9:54 am
ive yet to hear of anyone calling themselves a sorcerror has anyone on here come accros one of these folks.  
PostPosted: Thu Jun 05, 2008 10:08 am
This is just personal preference, but I refer to myself as a "witch," not a sorcerer or wizard or mage or stuff like that...I know it's not the best term, but it's the one I feel comfortable using.  

Quiet Dojo

Sanguina Cruenta
Vice Captain

Eloquent Bloodsucker

PostPosted: Thu Jun 05, 2008 8:13 pm
Wizardry would be something different, probably highly related to things like astrology and alchemy. Very different from witchcraft (despite the claims of one O. Zell who appears to have gone off the deep end). If it was related to anything I'd say it'd be more related to Ceremonial Magick than to witchcraft.

If you are a witch, then you are a witch. Adopting words like "wizard" is silly.  
*~Forum~* (general discussion/questions)

Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games