College for goths? Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Jinx Noir

Alien Kitten

PostPosted: Sat Mar 15, 2008 3:50 pm
I was curious to see if there were any colleges noted as having an unusual amount of goth students.  
PostPosted: Sat Mar 15, 2008 4:28 pm
I bet you Cal Berkeley has a bunch.  

ffsghyanbh

Rellik San
Crew

PostPosted: Sat Mar 15, 2008 4:45 pm
The Oldham College;
Goths, Punks and Metallers... basically its the real college, the sixth form is for poseurs. ><  
PostPosted: Sun Mar 16, 2008 1:09 pm
Nothing gets gother than the San Francisco College of Mortuary Science. Shame they are closing. sad

Kostbarer Alptraum

Jinx Noir

Alien Kitten

PostPosted: Sun Mar 16, 2008 11:49 pm
Thank you. That's all very helpful. biggrin

@Kostbarer Alptraum: Rofl. That's very true. And it's very sad!  
PostPosted: Mon Mar 31, 2008 8:44 am
Mortuary Science schools are hardly goth.

Have you ever been to one?

Unless you're going for MS, I'm venturing to say no.
They dress pretty darn conservatively.

No one is going to buy a funeral from a person with 50 holes in his head, unnaturally dyed hair, black nail polish, and fishnets.

Sorry.

User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.

MortSanglant

Jinx Noir

Alien Kitten

PostPosted: Mon Mar 31, 2008 1:02 pm
MortSanglant

No one is going to buy a funeral from a person with 50 holes in his head, unnaturally dyed hair, black nail polish, and fishnets.

Sorry.

Yes, I know. The idea that all goths want to go to school for mortuary science is a false preconception. I'm not going to go to school for it. But I found it interesting that they have entire schools dedicated to MS and it is sad that the school is closing.

As for 50 holes in my head.... I don't even have my ears pierced. sweatdrop My hair is black, I've never dyed it, and I may not ever. I don't paint my nails either, it makes my nails dull and I can't use them for anything useful. Fishnets.... I don't wear them unless I'm going out somewhere with my friends.  
PostPosted: Mon Mar 31, 2008 8:01 pm
the strangeness
MortSanglant

Sorry.

Yes, I know. The idea that all goths want to go to school for mortuary science is a false preconception. I'm not going to go to school for it. But I found it interesting that they have entire schools dedicated to MS and it is sad that the school is closing.

As for 50 holes in my head.... I don't even have my ears pierced. sweatdrop My hair is black, I've never dyed it, and I may not ever. I don't paint my nails either, it makes my nails dull and I can't use them for anything useful. Fishnets.... I don't wear them unless I'm going out somewhere with my friends.

I was directing my comment toward Kostbarer for the ignorant statement of "Nothing gets gother than the San Francisco College of Mortuary Science".

wtfbbq

MortSanglant

DreamerSpirit

PostPosted: Sun Apr 06, 2008 10:01 am
After going on a bunch of college tours over the past year, I've found that art schools seem to have a larger population of gothy types than your average college.

I saw a few while I was touring Massachusetts College of Art, Rhode Island School of Design, The Art Institute of Boston (this is not wone of the Ai franchise schools, for the record), and the School of the Museum of Fine Arts. The other colleges I toured were all normal colleges with small art departments, and I didn't see any goths around.

Come the fall, I'll be another art school goth. heart  
PostPosted: Sun Apr 06, 2008 8:04 pm
MortSanglant
the strangeness
MortSanglant

Sorry.

I was directing my comment toward Kostbarer for the ignorant statement of "Nothing gets gother than the San Francisco College of Mortuary Science".

wtfbbq

Ah. Alrighty then. biggrin I just wanted to make it clear that I'm not ignorant, I'm just joking around.  

Jinx Noir

Alien Kitten

Jinx Noir

Alien Kitten

PostPosted: Sun Apr 06, 2008 8:09 pm
DreamerSpirit
After going on a bunch of college tours over the past year, I've found that art schools seem to have a larger population of gothy types than your average college.

I saw a few while I was touring Massachusetts College of Art, Rhode Island School of Design, The Art Institute of Boston (this is not wone of the Ai franchise schools, for the record), and the School of the Museum of Fine Arts. The other colleges I toured were all normal colleges with small art departments, and I didn't see any goths around.

Yeah, it kind of figures. There are a lot of goths that are very talented artists. For a while I wanted to go to art school, but I just don't think I'm good enough to make a living off of it. sweatdrop It would be awesome to go see all those colleges on the east coast, they have some awesome architecture that's really old and beautiful. Unfortunately I live on the opposite side of the country. D:  
PostPosted: Tue Apr 08, 2008 7:56 pm
MortSanglant

Unless you have 50 holes in your head, unnaturaly died hair, black nail polish, and fishnets too. smile  

Henneth Annun
Captain

MortSanglant

PostPosted: Thu Apr 10, 2008 9:28 am
XWraith_LordX
MortSanglant

Unless you have 50 holes in your head, unnaturaly died hair, black nail polish, and fishnets too. smile

You don't often see people who look that way who are the responsible party in funeral payment.

And when I say don't often, I mean rarely.
And when I say rarely, I mean pretty much never.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 10, 2008 4:33 pm
the strangeness
DreamerSpirit

I saw a few while I was touring Massachusetts College of Art, Rhode Island School of Design, The Art Institute of Boston (this is not one of the Ai franchise schools, for the record), and the School of the Museum of Fine Arts. The other colleges I toured were all normal colleges with small art departments, and I didn't see any goths around.

Yeah, it kind of figures. There are a lot of goths that are very talented artists. For a while I wanted to go to art school, but I just don't think I'm good enough to make a living off of it. sweatdrop It would be awesome to go see all those colleges on the east coast, they have some awesome architecture that's really old and beautiful. Unfortunately I live on the opposite side of the country. D:

The architecture of many of the colleges around here is fantastic, and it is certainly one of the charms of the New England region!

As far as 'making a living off of art', I used to worry about that a lot as well; but over the years I've met a ton of artists; both online and out in the world, and all of them seem to be able to get by; some of them do have second jobs which are not art-related, but it seems that the majority of the artists I know are able to make a living entirely within their field.

Sometimes the jobs that they have are a little wierd; I have one friend who teaches metalsmithing at a local arts center at night, and works at a dentists office making metal caps for teeth by day. She also had a job in jewellery repair at one point.

I'm going to school for fashion. I understand taht I may not be able to make it as an independent designer (though that is my dream, and I will pursue it), but I know that if I can't devote myself to that full time then I can likely get some other job in my field anyways; working for a different company as a designer or pattern drafter, doing commission work, teaching sewing and dressmaking classes, doing alteration work, or perhaps a mixture of these things.

If you examine the specific field of art that you are/were looking into, you might come to realize that there are actually a lot of careers that will be open to you!  

DreamerSpirit

MediaclCunt

PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2008 9:15 pm
The school my boyfriend went to up in Allentown was basically all goths and stoners. I can't think of the name,though.  
~ Main Forum ~

Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff