Welcome to Gaia! ::

The Alternative Lifestyles Guild

Back to Guilds

A safe place for anyone who identifies with the LGBTQ(IP) community and their allies. 

Tags: lesbian, gays, queer, transgender, LGBT 

Reply 06. "Life Issues" - Advice & Counseling
Frequent Topics

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Kaiju Koi

PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2008 11:21 am
About Frequent Topics

I thought it'd be convenient to have a collection of frequently posted topics along with some of the advice that people found the most helpful all in one place. My hope is that people will be able to find quick help and suggestions without having to post their own thread.
It's still fine to make your own topic about questions addressed here, this is just for quick refrence, but I hope it helps.

If you feel you have anything to contribute, PM me with your suggestions and ideas.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2008 11:49 am
How do I come out?

"You could either drops a hell of alot of hints untill they confront you, or you could email or
leave a note/letter."

"If you don't want to tell your parents yet (and/or think its not the time), then don't. coming
out is all about when you feel you're ready. "

"Try writing a sincere letter. You don't have to tell them to their face if you're, but it's still
personal and gets your thoughts and feelings across."

What if people don't like me anymore?

"If they cannot accept you for you are, then they are not your friends at all. Friends are people
who accept you, no matter what. Accept what you cannot change."

What if my parents aren't accepting?

"There's really nothing you can do to force her to see things your way automatically. Over time
you can hope that she changes her views and understands. In the mean time, be patient with
her and try your hardest to not get upset. Being sad, angry, or even losing your patience/temper
is the worst thing that either of you can do. If she wants to say mean things then let her. Brush
the dirt off your shoulders and be a pleasant person when you're around her. "

"Education: why it's natural/not a choice. How views like hers can affect other people. How just
because it's not right for her, it can be right for you. My mom wasn't thrilled when I came out, and
I was dating a girl at the time. But when she discovered for herself a little while down the road how
happy dating a girl made me, she was willing to set aside her biases and realize that accepting the
fact at face value was much easier than living upset and in denial. "

I'm confused about my sexuality.

"If you're bi/gay its fine. If not, then you're not. You just have to accept yourself for who you are!"

"Gender and sexuality is fluid in my opinion. The world just tries to cage it and make it solid in this
easy to define box of terms, roles, responisbilities and such. Its doesn't always work for everyone. "

"Well my advice is just to be yourself. Do what feels right to you and don't give a crap about what
people think. You can't help it if you feel a certain way."

"You don't need to label yourself, at least not yet. Leave all your options open so that you can bloom
into who ever you will be. Don't deny yourself happiness or love just because of some stupid label. "

"To be honest, this is a question none of us can answer for you.
Nobody but you will ever be able to answer the question. "

I'm ashamed. I don't want to be gay/bi.

"There's absolutely nothing wrong with loving someone."

"Liking someone of the same sex is NOT a sin. It never has been, and never will be. Being bi/gay/lesbian
is not a choice in any way. So no, you can not stop being bi or liking girls. You can PRETEND that you
don't like girls, but it'll only hurt you in the long-run. Your brain is 'programmed' the way it is because you
are and you should be damn proud of it!"

I'm lesbian/gay, but I like someone of the opposite sex.

"You shouldn't label yourself. If you love someone, you love someone."

"If you're in your early teen years, I wouldn't starting putting a label on yourself and announcing it to the world.
Hormones mess things up and who you like will most likely change in the next few years."

"Sexuality is fluid- it could be changing your entire life. Do what will make you happy."

I like someone of the same sex, but don't know if they're gay/lesbian.

"Look for clues."

"Ask them. If you're too nervous to ask them in person, do it anonymously or ask a friend."

"Tell them how you feel about them and see how they react."

Kaiju Koi

06. "Life Issues" - Advice & Counseling

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces