Welcome to Gaia! ::

The Muslim Guild Of Gaia

Back to Guilds

The Muslim Guild Of Gaia for everyone who wanto learn about Islam! Or for those muslims who wanto meet muslims. Or if u wanna have fun!!!! 

Tags: Muslim, Islam, Religion, Islamic, United 

Reply ☪)Islamic Discussion(☪
WHAT? No pictures? movies? Why shouldn't we see the Prophet? Goto Page: 1 2 3 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Slick Southpaw

Feral Faun

PostPosted: Mon Mar 24, 2008 12:48 pm

السلام عليكم و رحمة الله و بركاته

Hello again. I have another question.

I see lots of pictures and movies (both good and bad) portrayals about different biblical events, about the life of Jesus, ect. Personally I like the Passion of the Christ....

Anyhow, why don't we see that same sort of thing about the Prophet Muhammad? Why is his face never shown?
Why is it that people are so against to portrayals of him? Why not create a movie about his life?I've read about his life and I am absolutely fascinated by it. I think it would be amazing to do that kind of portrayal...to show his legendary dedication to God, what it means to be a good servant of the Lord. People show that with Jesus, why not with Muhammad?

PostPosted: Tue Mar 25, 2008 5:01 am
Prophet Muhammad prevents it. It's to prevent Muslim worships him as god. That's the main reason.  

Emperor of Mistekreuz

Prof Albus PWB Dumbledore

PostPosted: Tue Mar 25, 2008 5:03 am
i'm not sure...

but i think it's to avoid iconography and iconolatry.

no offense... but there are some Christians who are already worshipping the icons even if they don't admit it... you know... they are already asking prayers to those icons and not to God Himself. some tend to worship the icon instead of what it represents. i take it on my personal experience though.

that's how i see it. but i'm not sure.  
PostPosted: Tue Mar 25, 2008 8:29 am
i'm not sure...

no offense... but there are some Christians who are already worshipping the icons even if they don't admit it... you know... they are already asking prayers to those icons and not to God Himself. some tend to worship the icon instead of what it represents. i take it on my personal experience though.

No offense taken.
hmm...most Christians I know don't, and they're Catholics, one of the Christian groups most accused of worshiping false idols (and that is due to lack of knowledge about the practices of the faith).

But you have prayers to Allah, and you pray in the direction of Mecca, and from what I've seen, most of you Muslims don't even look at anything religious when praying, even in the mosques...so how would it become iconography in the first place? And you don't even pray to the Prophet....
only to Allah....so how would these things come to being if that's what you say would happen if there were pictures of Muhammad and movies made about him?

Slick Southpaw

Feral Faun

-keisha rayana hanaquil-

PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2008 5:12 am

In accordance with Muslim beliefs, Muhammad could not be depicted on-screen nor his voice be heard. This rule extended to his seven wives, his daughters and his sons-in-law. This left Muhammad's uncle Hamza and his adopted son Zayid.

one of the films that i have watched is THE MESSAGE.. in this movie, Mohammad SAW can't be seen and his words were being repeated by someone else..  
PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2008 8:06 am
Ratri_Cat
i'm not sure...

No offense taken.
hmm...most Christians I know don't, and they're Catholics, one of the Christian groups most accused of worshiping false idols (and that is due to lack of knowledge about the practices of the faith).

But you have prayers to Allah, and you pray in the direction of Mecca, and from what I've seen, most of you Muslims don't even look at anything religious when praying, even in the mosques...so how would it become iconography in the first place? And you don't even pray to the Prophet....
only to Allah....so how would these things come to being if that's what you say would happen if there were pictures of Muhammad and movies made about him?

well, i'm not sure.

but i think it is prescribed in the Qur'an because there is the recognition of the propensity of acts such as like that.

as far as i know there are those Muslims, as they call themselves, who have very shallow faith and understanding regarding their religion.

so.. yeah.. it's attributable to the fact that they don't know much of their religion as what you've said.

maybe that's the reason of why Muslim educators believe that statues or any visible representation of Prophet Mohammad should not be established.

further, there are also some people who praise the Prophet at an extent that is already beyond the limit.

as an example is that in the Shi'ah sect they have a picture of Ali. that is what has been told to me.

because of this image of Ali some Shi'ah worshipers have taken Ali's position even equal to that of a Prophet. some even praise him excessively and i know some Shi'ah who hang this picture while praying. that was narrated to me.

so to avoid exalting Prophet Mohammad's position so much into a state that is not tolerable, icons or images are prohibited.

i take this on a personal note though. biggrin don't flame please. biggrin  

The Dead Terrorist Achmed

PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2008 12:59 pm
Don't you know that we are contesting ourselves against Allah's magnificant creation when we paint life and take photographs?  
PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2008 2:28 am
Imad Jibril
Don't you know that we are contesting ourselves against Allah's magnificant creation when we paint life and take photographs?

I have heard elders saying that taking photographs is prohibited. but i don't know why.

can you please discuss the topic more? it sounds interesting to me. thanks so much. biggrin  

PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2008 9:14 am
Imad Jibril

I have heard elders saying that taking photographs is prohibited. but i don't know why.

can you please discuss the topic more? it sounds interesting to me. thanks so much. biggrin
I'll go and look it up. I'm just reciting what I've been taught. I find my faith so much more amazing when I discover the reasoning behind it.
Ratri taught me that one. To truly appreciate one's faith, one shouldn't just check their brain at the door, to question and reason with the rules and the whys of the faith is much more fulfilling than just blindly obeying it. 3nodding

Yes, I am a flaming Muslim...but Allah loves me!

PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2008 11:33 am
Here is something interesting concerning the Prophet.

In any case, the Quran is silent on the question of whether it is appropriate to paint a picture of Muhammed. There are, however, specific texts within the Hadith (collections of stories and sayings of Muhammed which have been passed down by others but which Muslims accept as authoritative). These sayings have been interpreted differently and applied inconsistently within the several branches of Islam. Within some Muslim communities images of Muhammed have proliferated, while in other Muslim communities figurative art of any kind has been prohibited.

Is should also be pointed out that the underlying motivation for avoiding representation of Allah or the prophets arose out of a belief shared with Christianity and Judaism: it is dangerous to create images that tempt the faithful into the sin of idolatry, that is, worshipping anything less than God.

source: http://www.godweb.org/mohammedpaintings.htm

PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2008 11:47 am
I'm not entirely sure what it is haram about displaying images of Allah's creation....
Another grey area concerns pictures on clothing, especially pictures of people or other living creatures. Many people view this as being haram, but there is a hadith which would suggest that this isn't necessarily true. Of course, a bit of moderation would be advisable - pictures of things that could be considered haram, such as scantily-clad women, or depictions of things such as cigarettes, drugs and alcohol should be avoided, especially if you plan on going to a mosque.
http://www.bahagia.btinternet.co.uk/brothers.htm#images

But then there is some different opinions on the matter....
According to the opinion I follow, it is not permissible to take photos.
However, some of the `ulaama of the hanafi fiqh have argued that it is permissible to take digital photos. I.e. not using film. Any tangible photo is haraam (of a living thing) but a non-tangible, i.e. digital photo or video is permissible. They've even gone as far to say that hanging a monitor containing a photo on the wall, or otherwise displaying it would not *technically* be considered haraam, because since the photo isn't tangible, it doesn't really exist.

The Prophet sal Allaahu alayhi wa sallam told us in an authentic hadith that the angels will not enter a house in which there is an image or a dog.

http://maniacmuslim.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=17221&st=0&start=0

HERE IS A VERY GOOD SOURCE THAT STATES THE HADITHS....
www.faithandthearts.com/images/8_20061201143729.pdf+islam+pictures+nature+hadith&hl=en&ct=clnk&cd=13&gl=us&client=firefox-a

PostPosted: Fri Apr 11, 2008 8:03 pm
Ok i haven't read any one else's post im just replying your question lol hopefully no one has already said what im about to tell you.

You are not allowed to draw Allah... as we do not know how Allah looks... Allah could look like a human or a white shiny light or a star... no one knows... therefore drawing Allah would be misleading... etc etc etc.

We are however allowed to draw pictures of prophets... but only for education purposes...

Also there's loads of films that have been made about prophet Muhammad... a good one i would recommend is Islam Empire of Faith (type this in on Youtube and you will be able to watch it)  

Lily Da Bangali Rani

Zaakii

PostPosted: Sat Apr 12, 2008 5:00 am
Lily Da Bangali Rani
Ok i haven't read any one else's post im just replying your question lol hopefully no one has already said what im about to tell you.

You are not allowed to draw Allah... as we do not know how Allah looks... Allah could look like a human or a white shiny light or a star... no one knows... therefore drawing Allah would be misleading... etc etc etc.

We are however allowed to draw pictures of prophets... but only for education purposes...

Also there's loads of films that have been made about prophet Muhammad... a good one i would recommend is Islam Empire of Faith (type this in on Youtube and you will be able to watch it)

No we aren't allowed to draw pictures of prophets.  
PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2008 11:22 pm
Zaaki
Lily Da Bangali Rani

No we aren't allowed to draw pictures of prophets.

It's for educational purposes... most Muslim people who are not dumb know how to follow the rules... on the bottom right corner of the picture it usually says this is merely a picture for educational purposes.

Also they don't draw the face... cause if they drew the face then they would get sins for drawing something that resembles a human... & i'm sure you know drawing a human or a animal is a very bad thing to do as a Muslim...

Hope that helped you out...
Love you all & hi 3nodding  

Lily Da Bangali Rani

Slick Southpaw

Feral Faun

PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2008 8:40 am
Lily Da Bangali Rani
i'm sure you know drawing a human or a animal is a very bad thing to do as a Muslim...

WHY?????

☪)Islamic Discussion(☪

Goto Page: 1 2 3 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas