Welcome to Gaia! ::

Gaian Grammar Guild

Back to Guilds

The Gaian Grammar Guild is a refuge for the literate, a place for them to post and read posts without worrying about the nonsensical ones. 

Tags: grammar, literate, english, language 

Reply Gaian Grammar Guild
Is 'Txt Tlk' equal to Orwell's Newspeak.

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

wolfen26

Conservative Werewolf

6,350 Points
  • Citizen 200
  • Flatterer 200
  • Team Jacob 100
PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2008 3:51 pm
I have been thinking about this idea for a short while. Could it be possible that this idea of 'txt tlk' could possibly be comapred to the 'Newspeak' language in George Orwell's book 1984? In my humble opinion, I think that it could easily fall under the ease of use, and also the constriction of thoughts and ideas. I have been noticing the combining of words almost like newspeak. I just thought I would throw this out there to you guys.

Then again, you can call me paranoid.  
PostPosted: Sat Mar 29, 2008 7:32 am
Not quite, but it's getting there. Notice that all words in txt-tlk still have opposites (LOL does not become UNLOL). There aren't any words that are banned from txt-tlk yet... however, I do appreciate the notion that "ease-of-use" has gone too far. Nice connection to literature. 3nodding  

MyOwnBestCritic

Dapper Dabbler

wolfen26

Conservative Werewolf

6,350 Points
  • Citizen 200
  • Flatterer 200
  • Team Jacob 100
PostPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2008 10:52 pm
MyOwnBestCritic
Not quite, but it's getting there. Notice that all words in txt-tlk still have opposites (LOL does not become UNLOL). There aren't any words that are banned from txt-tlk yet... however, I do appreciate the notion that "ease-of-use" has gone too far. Nice connection to literature. 3nodding
Well it has not started yet, but you never know. I just see it as the pushing of combinations of words to form a new word that in a shorter way compresses a longer meaning or sentance. Maybe I am just insane, but that is me. I also think about the ease of use, it has gotten way out of hand.  
PostPosted: Thu May 01, 2008 10:33 pm
MyOwnBestCritic
(LOL does not become UNLOL)

Starting today, I will incorporate UNLOL/UNROFL into my lexicon. Pussibly UNOMG as well.  

Mikhalia

wolfen26

Conservative Werewolf

6,350 Points
  • Citizen 200
  • Flatterer 200
  • Team Jacob 100
PostPosted: Fri Jul 04, 2008 12:53 pm
Mikhalia
MyOwnBestCritic
(LOL does not become UNLOL)

Starting today, I will incorporate UNLOL/UNROFL into my lexicon. Pussibly UNOMG as well.
I wonder if anyone would get that, but I would be really laughing if it becomes a trend.  
PostPosted: Sat Jun 06, 2009 5:13 pm
I just read 1984 and I have to say I agree with you, Wolfen. Incorporating UNLOL into my arsenal sounds good. How about DPLOL(DoublePlusLOL) as well?  

Bruce of House Banner

6,650 Points
  • Gender Swap 100
  • Brandisher 100
  • Signature Look 250

wolfen26

Conservative Werewolf

6,350 Points
  • Citizen 200
  • Flatterer 200
  • Team Jacob 100
PostPosted: Wed Sep 30, 2009 1:32 am
Okami no Tsubasa
I just read 1984 and I have to say I agree with you, Wolfen. Incorporating UNLOL into my arsenal sounds good. How about DPLOL(DoublePlusLOL) as well?

DPUNLOL (double plus un lol) would also be a good one. This would be funny if we started a trend.  
PostPosted: Mon Oct 19, 2009 6:58 pm
Wait. But wouldn't "lol" be illegal in IngSoc?
The mere idea of any form of unauthorized laughter might cause problems.

Problems are doubleplusungood.

Pup in Fluff

Invisible Sex Symbol

8,475 Points
  • Ultimate Player 200
  • Somebody Likes You 100
  • Flatterer 200

Katurrah

PostPosted: Sun Nov 08, 2009 12:35 am
Wow. I never thought that I could find anyone who thought in the same context as I do occasionally. We should start a trend. I am quite sure that it would become as regularly used as normal text-talk, although most that would use it would have no clue from whence the reference came.  
PostPosted: Tue Nov 10, 2009 8:16 pm
I don't believe that text talk is nearly as limiting in thought/speech as Orwell's Newspeak, but the ease of use is similar. Also, I'll definitely join in using terms such as "doubleplusLOL" and seeing if anybody gets the reference and implications.  

Cthulhu Eating Ye

Gaian Grammar Guild

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff