Welcome to Gaia! ::

Gaian Grammar Guild

Back to Guilds

The Gaian Grammar Guild is a refuge for the literate, a place for them to post and read posts without worrying about the nonsensical ones. 

Tags: grammar, literate, english, language 

Reply Gaian Grammar Guild
Who Or Whom?

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Not Insane Just Crazy

PostPosted: Sat Mar 29, 2008 11:24 am
I've always wanted to know the case of when to use 'whom' or when to use 'who'.
I know one of my English teachers probably taught it to the class, but I was never paying attention.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 30, 2008 6:10 am
I think you use whom when you're talking about indirect objects, especially when using prepositions. For example, I would ask, "To whom is that addressed?" because you would reply, "The letter is addressed to Bob."

If you're talking about the subject of a sentence, you'd use who. So if I asked, "Who sent this?", I'd be okay because you would reply, "Bob sent this." The information you're looking for is the subject of the sentence, not the object.

That explanation is a little confusing, but I hope it helps somewhat! 4laugh  

ChibiStarlet

Argent Wraith

PostPosted: Sun Mar 30, 2008 12:52 pm
ChibiStarlet got it, basically.

"Who" is nominative. That means you use it as a subject or after a linking verb as a subject complement
Examples:

Who knocked on the door?
("Who" is the subject.)

I can't think of a subject complement example off the top of my head. x_x

"Whom" is objective. Use it as a direct object, (Whom did she hit?) indirect object, (no example, sorry!) or object of a preposition. (For whom was that package?)

I apologize for my lack of examples. I hope this has helped in some way! You could always google it and pray to find a competent website...  
Gaian Grammar Guild

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games