Welcome to Gaia! ::

Gaian Grammar Guild

Back to Guilds

The Gaian Grammar Guild is a refuge for the literate, a place for them to post and read posts without worrying about the nonsensical ones. 

Tags: grammar, literate, english, language 

Reply Gaian Grammar Guild
He/She Issue Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Well?
  He
  She
  It
  He s**t?
  MORTAL!
View Results

Niccea Majeare

PostPosted: Mon Mar 31, 2008 9:03 am
I'm in a progressive college that has a good deal of feminists. I know it is not politically correct to put "he" anymore when you write/talk about general subjects. But I don't want to waste time with typing out "he or she" and if I remember my English classes correctly (been two years), "they" is not a grammatically correct. So I am asking as a concerned person who doesn't want to be stung on typing "he," what is correct?

Simplified.

• Before a doctor does surgery, he must wash his hands.
  • Before a doctor does surgery, he or she must wash his or her hands.
  • Before a doctor does surgery, they must wash their hands.
  • Doctors must wash their hands before they preform surgery.

What is better or what would be a better alternative?  
PostPosted: Mon Mar 31, 2008 9:23 am
If I remember correctly (it's been a while), you are supposed to alternate between "he" and "she" each paragraph.  

Sachiko13

Niccea Majeare

PostPosted: Mon Mar 31, 2008 10:36 am
I remember that too. But if you only do it once. I guess I'm just getting paranoid. I found out that there is going to be some sort of timed writing as part of the application for Grad school. It is half a year away, but it is never too early to get a head start.  
PostPosted: Tue Apr 01, 2008 10:15 am
Timed sections?! Grad school is a year away for me, but I still would like to get a head start myself. Does it depend upon school or does it apply for all schools, no matter of location?

To answer your question:

Your fourth sentence would be okay to put down. At least, that is what my experience as a writing tutor says. To be honest, I just put something like "Immigrants, whether poor or not, deserve the right to reside here." Note how I don't mention either at all, but the he/she is basically implied. I believe that is the best way to go, though others may prove me wrong.  

Patron with a Mission

Niccea Majeare

PostPosted: Tue Apr 01, 2008 1:44 pm
Yeah was thinking that. I think it could just be my school. I don't know. It makes it hard going to a feminist school. Especially since I'm not a feminist.  
PostPosted: Sun Jul 20, 2008 10:36 pm
"Doctors' hands must be washed before surgery," perhaps? A cheap way to avoid the whole mess, I would think.  

Anavis

Zemedelphos

4,750 Points
  • Hygienic 200
  • First step to fame 200
  • Forum Sophomore 300
PostPosted: Sun Jul 27, 2008 4:03 pm
In place of 'he', 'he or she', or 'you', try to put 'one'  
PostPosted: Mon Aug 04, 2008 5:12 pm
To be on the safe side, I always use "they" or "one".

Doctors must wash their hands before they perform surgery.

or

One must wash their hands before performing surgery.  

Henneth Annun

Dante Dela Rosa

PostPosted: Tue Aug 05, 2008 9:51 pm
My first post in this guild!

In any case, whenever I am penning instructions, I always use 'they' as the personal pronoun of choice when I'm in 'mixed' company. If I know for a fact that I'm dealing with an all-male or all-female audience, I'll use the gender-specific pronoun to match.

In military training manuals, you'll see mostly masculine pronouns...not unexpected but you don't see anyone complaining about it either.  
PostPosted: Thu Aug 07, 2008 11:22 am
I would agree with "XWraith_LordX" above.
It seems logical and also grammatically correct.
Although, in some sentences, it wouldn't entirely work to put "One must" at the begining. Plus, it would turn the paper even more drab than it already is. If I were to have to write out said paper, I would write it with "he" and then edit it by adding a "/she" where it is supposedly "needed".
:3

Emilem

Quotable Dabbler

6,650 Points
  • Forum Dabbler 200
  • Generous 100
  • Big Tipper 100

Annikaya

PostPosted: Sat Aug 09, 2008 12:55 pm
I believe 'he' is what my MLA textbook tells me but, when in doubt, you can always eliminate it from a sentence. It seems rather touchy to be offended by it though. Silly.  
PostPosted: Fri Aug 15, 2008 7:12 am
Well, first post in the guild...

Okay, back to studying grammar for the ACT.

The last one is best... and using the principal of Occam's razor, the least wordy sentence is generally the best choice. Grammar books go back and forth, but thanks to feminism and modern sensitivity "he or she" is liked, and "their" hasn't totally infiltrated grammar books and English grammar as being proper grammar. Then, of course, using just "he" is preferred by many still because it is less wordy. Usually it is best to avoid using any gender reference. Of course, I know personally I do use "he or she."

Personally, I'm just as accepting of having "he" in the sentence as "he or she." I just use "he or she" because that is what I prefer to use.  

mc2

Shameless Sex Symbol

21,090 Points
  • Deal Me In 50
  • Married 100
  • Person of Interest 200

Elanchana

PostPosted: Thu Sep 04, 2008 5:41 pm
But how quickly we forget
Such a sure and perfect plan,
And unlearn the passions that once had burned.

I either pluralize it, use "he or she", or turn it into an example so it can become gender-specific (for one person).

But how could I have seen?
What was I to do?
How could I know I would find you?
-Erik, The Phantom of the Opera, Tom Alonso

PostPosted: Tue Nov 11, 2008 12:33 pm
It may be politically incorrect to put "he" instead of "he or she", but it is grammatically correct to put just "he".  

egginaframe

SerpentRose

6,300 Points
  • Treasure Hunter 100
  • Citizen 200
  • Beta Treasure Hunter 0
PostPosted: Tue Nov 18, 2008 2:22 pm
I would ask the teacher, that way your choice will be correct in the eyes of the person grading your work biggrin  
Gaian Grammar Guild

Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff