Welcome to Gaia! ::

Reply The Lavender Lounge .: Questions and Assistance :.
need help with information for a fictional school of magic

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Dain Maxwell

PostPosted: Mon Mar 31, 2008 9:57 am
hello,
i'm a writer working on an academy of magic in a world where magic is not only a talent but an acknowledged fact.
i'm hoping to find someone(s) who will help me iron out details, like classes and different types of magic
i posted on the main page of the forum,
but realized it might be better to post here to
if you can help i would appriciate it.
also if you are just curious i would love to tell you the general idea behind the school and get opinions on it.
thanks  
PostPosted: Mon Mar 31, 2008 6:28 pm
Well to set up schools of magic you need to look at the magic in this new world of your.

first is this magic a general force a sentient life force that runs as a current through the planet or is it based on different planes?

second are the people who practise magic born with it or can anyone learn it.

thirdly how is the magic invoked, through chanting, components, or just plain force of will?

depending on these components then you will get a sense of how to classify your mages.  

loahnuh

Dain Maxwell

PostPosted: Tue Apr 01, 2008 9:36 am
loahnuh
Well to set up schools of magic you need to look at the magic in this new world of your.

first is this magic a general force a sentient life force that runs as a current through the planet or is it based on different planes?

second are the people who practise magic born with it or can anyone learn it.

thirdly how is the magic invoked, through chanting, components, or just plain force of will?

depending on these components then you will get a sense of how to classify your mages.

magic is reality, everything that exists has magic, also spirits or soul are magic that keeps the living alive
every living person has magic
but only about 2% of people have a large enough reservour to use it ons something other than living or has the ability to use magical enery from other sources, a familliare or an item that has been used to store magic, or both
magic is like an artform, there are many ways to use it and many methds
for instance a small list of classes in the schoo:
chanting
ritual work
ceremony
words of power
invoking and evoking, they are different and are used differently
and sigil magic
i'm not sure about havign will magic as a class since this is the usual type of magic untrained magic users perform magic
as for classifing my mages, this is how i am planning to do it
Sorcerers use magic from outside sources
Wizards use magic from internal sources
and Witches use both
also there isn't a gender line on any of these, a male is just as likely to be a witch as a wizard or sorcerer
and there is no religious line either, i have mormans wiccans cathlics muslims and even budhists  
PostPosted: Sun Apr 13, 2008 9:49 pm
Okay...

Almost all of that sounds good to me but I don't feel quite sure about the above one, from the way you describe it any magic user would be a witch unless there were a specific reason as to why they would specialize in inner/outer magical power.  

loahnuh

Faith-The1Slayer

5,550 Points
  • Forum Explorer 100
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Invisibility 100
PostPosted: Mon Nov 03, 2008 10:54 am
I think u both have great starts, but one thing u need to understand is that most magic(k) focuses on the will power, and energy of the user!! i go to an online wizarding school so it might be of some help. the website is www.greyschool.com  
The Lavender Lounge .: Questions and Assistance :.

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games
Mini-Games