Welcome to Gaia! ::

Gaian Grammar Guild

Back to Guilds

The Gaian Grammar Guild is a refuge for the literate, a place for them to post and read posts without worrying about the nonsensical ones. 

Tags: grammar, literate, english, language 

Reply Gaian Grammar Guild
How far are you willing to go to enforce spelling/grammar?

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Mikhalia

PostPosted: Thu Apr 10, 2008 1:07 pm
True story: I met someone who I liked, got along with, had several things in common with. I REFUSED to date them unless they stopped using "txt-talk". Outright refused.

Long story short, I (mostly) fixed them and we've been dating for a little over a year now; she's actually the one who got me to join Gaia. No more txt-talk, although she does occasionally screw up a your/you're there/they're/their or similar, which I always correct, cause it's just the way I am. smile

Anyone else have any stories like that?  
PostPosted: Sun Apr 13, 2008 3:39 pm
Uh...sometimes I take a red pen to the fliers at school?

I honestly don't encounter a lot of problems with friends, though that probably has a lot to do with my almost total lack of a social life...but I could also believe that my friends are just too cool for severe txt talk issues. biggrin ;

...um, no, really, I don't talk to people. I'm a terrible hermit. D:  

Quatrina

Niccea Majeare

PostPosted: Sun Apr 13, 2008 4:47 pm
I correct my boyfriend's spelling on AIM. But that is about it. I did once write in a book. But I copied the type face. The word was messing a letter. I can't even remember it anymore. That was about 2 years ago. I know what book series it was though, just not the book or if it was from the school or public library.  
PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2008 8:58 pm
I always correct my friends at school. They say less cars, I scream fewer. That is the most common. There have been others though. They are getting better though. Once, I had to correct my English teacher's grammar. She said less instead of fewer. It was pretty funny.  

FantasyHearts

Zen Bassist

PostPosted: Sun Apr 20, 2008 7:04 pm
My dad was dissing this Mexican guy's grammar today by saying "He doesn't speak English good."

I stopped the conversation to correct him, because if you're going to burn someone you better use proper grammar kiddies!

PostPosted: Sat May 03, 2008 11:20 am
Mikhalia
True story: I met someone who I liked, got along with, had several things in common with. I REFUSED to date them her unless they she stopped using "txt-talk". Outright refused.

Long story short, I (mostly) fixed them her and we've been dating for a little over a year now; she's actually the one who got me to join Gaia. No more txt-talk, although she does occasionally screw up a your/you're there/they're/their or similar, which I always correct, cause it's just the way I am. smile
That's a big pet peeve of mine (using "they" to refer to one person). That is, unless you're dating several people. wink  

Woodnut

Isadorana

PostPosted: Sat May 03, 2008 9:29 pm
I honestly think that most people take it a little too far. If you are willing to deprive yourself of love because of a neurotic compulsion to correct others, then you honestly deserve top be alone, because nobody will be able to tolerate you. I apologize for being harsh, but I stand by it.  
PostPosted: Tue May 06, 2008 12:25 pm
I erased some apostrophes on a white board at Home Depot yesterday. Saturday's? Come on now, people. This isn't a difficult concept. If you have that much trouble, you could always go for "every saturday."  

Quatrina

Tric A Smile

PostPosted: Thu May 08, 2008 2:45 pm
My friend, one of my best, confuses many words that are spelled different but sound the same. It drives me mad! I usually don't say anything, but it drives me absolutely bonkers. Sometimes I'll get break and correct her, but generally, I let her go on. She just does it in YIM messenger. She doesn't do it when she writes her novels, thank gods.  
PostPosted: Thu May 08, 2008 8:54 pm
Txt-talk is a giant turn-off for me.. even if the person's great and I'm dating them, texting and chatting online isn't as enjoyable with them as it could be.  

Siouxicide

SuperDuperRockLee

PostPosted: Fri May 09, 2008 1:15 pm
Woodnut
Mikhalia
True story: I met someone who I liked, got along with, had several things in common with. I REFUSED to date them her unless they she stopped using "txt-talk". Outright refused.

Long story short, I (mostly) fixed them her and we've been dating for a little over a year now; she's actually the one who got me to join Gaia. No more txt-talk, although she does occasionally screw up a your/you're there/they're/their or similar, which I always correct, cause it's just the way I am. smile
That's a big pet peeve of mine (using "they" to refer to one person). That is, unless you're dating several people. wink
Haha, I was about to correct it!  
PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2008 1:11 am
Willing ot og far enough to so what one of the SC senators did to another one from the north in congress-

tackle them to the ground and beat them with a cane. (In the original incident, the victim was beaten so bed he didn't return to his seat in congress for three years. Behold, the power of a cane in the hands of a southern man.) xd xd
*Crazy southerner*

Ok so maybe that's a little extreme-
I'll tell someone to stop using it, and if they don't, tell them again, and if they still Don't, get violent. As in, yell. And then maybe resort to some other things. (Yea, I'm a radical, too)  

xXgoth_girl12Xx

Astral Charmer

Sparkling Senshi

PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2008 8:04 am
I look for mistakes in testes all the time. You'd be surprised how many mistakes a text book has. I've even corrected my teacher 2 or 3 times. xd  
PostPosted: Wed Jun 04, 2008 5:56 pm
Well I must admit that when I find someone online that txt talks, I tend to stay away from them. I find that if I can't have a good and easily understood conversation with them, I shouldn't even bother.

I will tell someone if they make a mistake when they are typing only if it is a consistent thing. But if it's one of those rare mistakes, I don't nag on my friend about it. Well, I might make fun of them if the grammar mistake changes their sentence to something inappropriate. xd  

Saiyajin of the Twilight

Dapper Businessman

5,325 Points
  • Conversationalist 100
  • Dressed Up 200
  • Friendly 100

teh brittie

9,325 Points
  • Bunny Spotter 50
  • Junior Trader 100
  • Signature Look 250
PostPosted: Fri Jun 06, 2008 3:34 am
I took down the posters at college that read:

"Tak trash to outsde thank you.
You're Staff,
Management"

....and absolutely no one noticed. smile .

P.S.: Oh, about my name.. It has been pointed out that I am in a grammar guild with a grammatically incorrect name. My name is Teh Brittie because of the way it is pronounced.  
Gaian Grammar Guild

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games