Welcome to Gaia! ::

The Gamers Promised Land, Gaia's Best Gaming and Pop Culture

Back to Guilds

Gaia's best guild for discussions and contests about Video Games, Pop Culture, general geek stuff, and any kind of discussion! 

Tags: Video Games, Pop culture, chatting, Internet, tournaments 

Reply Xbox and Playstation Gaming
PS2 games Goto Page: 1 2 3 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

PS2
  thats so last gen
  Old school rocks!
  pollwhore option
View Results

Ten of Hearts

PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2008 2:19 pm
Hi guys!

My dad recently bought a PS2 (your reading right, he got a ps2 not a ps3) and is currently looking for games to buy.

We already have Kingdom Hearts 1, Onimusha 3, and Devil May Cry 1.
Anyone have any suggestions for other games we should get? Conversely, are there any games we should avoid at all costs?  
PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2008 4:56 pm
User Image
I was bored

Get Metal Gear Essential Collection thats a good month of your life gone. FFX is amazing. GT4. Ace Combat 04, 5 and 0
So I got this D: User Image

Kunx990

Guardian Eevee X

5,250 Points
  • Noob wrangler 100
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Invisibility 100
PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2008 8:19 pm
I love Final Fantasy X! I also like Resident Evil 4...I dunno about anyone else...and I can't think of any bad games at this point, I know some but I can't quite get all the words out, because I got rid of them and forgot about it...  
PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2008 8:34 pm
I guess I highly recommend these: Shadow of the Colossus, Okami, Katamari series, Metal Gear Solid collection, and the Devil May Cry collection (if you like that series).  

Pay Per Cuts

pathetic_negi_magician

PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2008 8:55 pm
I'm more into RPGs/ Puzzle games, so any game by Nippon Ichi or Atlus would be good, if you're into those.

FFX is one of those few games I could pick up even today and still have just as much fun playing it now as when I first picked it up, over 4 years ago.  
PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2008 12:02 pm
Games to avoid... any game that is based off of a book or movie, or both. Like for instance, the most painful game I have ever touched, Transformers, made me start to cry in pain within 10 minutes.  

pathetic_negi_magician

Ozu Miyamoto

Dangerous Seeker

PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2008 1:47 pm
Hi.  
PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2008 2:01 pm
PS2 eh? Looking back, PS2 only had a marginal amount more games than Xbox that I liked. It's good for generic games, and random RPGs. I also found the system itself to be annoying with loading speeds, and I personally don't even like the PS2 controller too much.

I still strongly insist that every FF on the PS2 sucks. You can't even compare the crapfest that X is to the glory of 6 or 7. I appreciate 12's battle system, but Vaan was even worse of a character than Tidus, and that's saying something. Plus, I hate how they used Ivalice... Ivalice belongs in tactics games, not generic "the guvment is evil!" RPGs.

You have to be a metal gear kind of person to like those. Personally I'm not that big a fan since I prefer either really well done action, or an RPG with an interesting story, not stealth.

You might as well pick up KH2 since you have 1. I also like Soul Calibur 3, and Street Fighter Anniversary Collection a lot, as well. Romance of the Three kingdoms is an interesting title as well, though it's kind of slow moving and very text heavy.

Using your backwards compatibility (make sure you get a PS1 memory card) you should check out FF7, Final Fantasy Tactics, Chrono Trigger (though I like the SNES version better since I don't like the anime cutscenes too much) and FF6 in some collection esque game (not sure if there is one)

As for some of the other games mentioned so far (that I didn't address):

Katamari - Interesting game, but there's really no point in buying more than one of them unless you have a huge desire to play new maps.

Resident Evil 4 - No reason to buy this on the PS2 since the Wii and Gamecube's versions are better.

Ace Combat - Not a fan of flight simulators. Except Starfox, but that's a totally different story.  

nitnit
Captain

ravemaster47

PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2008 2:05 pm
all the dot hack games were good. and sould calibur was a good one too. KH 2 is a must, naruto ultimate ninja is good too, anu of them really. i've also been playing shining force EXA it's pretty neat as well.  
PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2008 2:07 pm
ravemaster47
naruto ultimate ninja is good too, anu of them really.

Then ravemaster lost all credibility in my book.  

nitnit
Captain

ravemaster47

PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2008 3:38 pm
i bought it mainly for the fighting, not so much that it was naruto, but because it is fun  
PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2008 7:22 pm
The PS2 had semi-free internet play if I remember correctly. See if you can find an internet hub.

Socom is a good shooter, if you like shooters...

Marvel vs Capcom 2 is a fun fighter that can burn up many an afternoon. Sure it's a broken system, it's still fun though.

Soul Caliber 3 is a better fighter, and the quest mode will keep you busy for at least a few days.

MK biggrin eadly Alliance has a broken fighting system which MK biggrin eception tries to fix. Both games are better than Armageddon, but this one lets you create your own fighter.

If you like wierd crap, JRPGs, and happen to have $80 burning a hole in your pocket, you might want to give the Digital Devil Saga a look. Seeing as that's probably more than you paid for the PS2, simply look around in a used game bin, odds are you'll find a weird JRPG without even trying too terribly hard.

God of War is a good game, and has that epic feel to it, but I found myself bored to death with both of them. The LotR games would be the exception to the movie/book =/= good game rule. The Harry Potter games aren't too bad either.  

Mirri the Sneak

Noble Noob

2,350 Points
  • Noble Shade 100
  • Brandisher 100
  • Full closet 200

General Lea

Interesting Conversationalist

10,450 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Mark Twain 100
  • Contributor 150
PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2008 7:53 pm
Try... Kingdom Hearts Two, War of the Monsters (a rare fighting game, but awesome!), Soul Caliber 3 (another awesome fighter), Sly Cooper series.  
PostPosted: Sun Apr 20, 2008 12:38 pm
General Lea
Try... Kingdom Hearts Two, War of the Monsters (a rare fighting game, but awesome!), Soul Caliber 3 (another awesome fighter), Sly Cooper series.

I probably will get Kingdom Hearts 2 after I beat the first one, I also know my brother has been wanting Soul Caliber 3 for a while now.  

Ten of Hearts

pathetic_negi_magician

PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2008 9:44 am
Mirri the Sneak
The LotR games would be the exception to the movie/book =/= good game rule. The Harry Potter games aren't too bad either.

sweatdrop Oops, I overlooked those...

As for what Nitnit said, do you have no idea how hard it is to find a PS1 memory card for the PS2 now? I've only ever seen 3 in any store since I got my PS2, and that was almost 5 years ago.

-Also, yeah, ffX's not that great, but it's interesting because it's made for people with short attention spans, which is why I find it fun. And XII just plain sucked after the first 15 hours.  
Xbox and Playstation Gaming

Goto Page: 1 2 3 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff