Welcome to Gaia! ::

Reply The Official Australian Guild
The Olympic Torch & Human Rights

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Does snuffing out the olympic torch offend your own human rights?
  I don't care about world events, including the olympic torch
  Snuffing the torch means that we'll be listened to
  Yes, it offends me that people screw with things I love just to prove a point
View Results

the_weird_1

PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2008 2:28 am
Doeas anyone know what is happening to the Tibetans? Exactly how their human rights are being stomped on? I've heard that there is racial gang violence... but thats all. I do recognise their religious rights are being ignored since it has been 50 years (at least) that the Dali Lama has been in exile. Is something else happening that hasn't been reported in my end of the world?

And how does snuffing out the olympic torch help protesters free Tibet? This is something that really annoys me. How does sabotaging our rights to attend a forum of fair competition get us to care about the Tibetans?

I understand that it's for mass media, getting your message out there for the whole world to hear. But all the world can see are demonstators who want "peace", bash up on torch bearers.  
PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2008 9:42 pm
i rekon its sad that in this day in age, we cant even hold our olympic games with out it being destoryed.

I do not know what the tibetians are protesting about but the are making it difficult. I think that there is going to be some tough times ahead.  

Lilah-Clover

King Of Ninjas

PostPosted: Sat Apr 19, 2008 6:27 am
It's more sad that these people need to protest. The s**t that's been done to them is just insane gonk  
PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2008 11:00 pm
King Of Ninjas
It's more sad that these people need to protest. The s**t that's been done to them is just insane gonk

This is what I'm asking... What exactly has been done to them? Everyone is saying how bad it is, no one is saying what it is.

I have an inkling that it has to do with the invasion of Tibet, which happened over 60 years ago.... hence in all that time the Dali Lama has never been able to return to Tibet....We cared more about Sadam Hussein's invasion of Kuwait.... tell the tibetans to discover something valuable and then we'll help them out.  

the_weird_1

the_weird_1

PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2008 8:43 pm
OK I've Got it!

The Tibetans (and therefore the world) want to free tibet because the chinese apparently take away freedoms like arresting tibetans with no charge, beating them while in custody etc.

Which kind of begs the question... why then is the world just upset about tibetans and not about what happens to aboriginals in the northern territory (that's a stereotype, I have no idea if that happens up there) etc. etc.  
PostPosted: Tue Jul 08, 2008 7:21 pm
It's been happening for longer.

It's religious persecution. (DING DONG)

It's actually known in the world.

Plus I would think that aboriginals would have charges against them. But even if we were to consider that, then we'd have to consider African Americans as well.  

DNA_Guru
Captain

kixsy

PostPosted: Sat Oct 25, 2008 6:47 pm
I don't see why people had to try and ruin such an important event just to prove a point. sad  
The Official Australian Guild

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games