Submit

hate people
  ya
  nope
View Results

xxAxel Uchiha Hyugaxx

Shirtless Model

PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2008 7:26 am
i hate it when people confuse goth with emo!!!!!
BIG DIFFERENCE!!!  
PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2008 9:42 am
Yeah for one thing emo are a bunch of whiney bitches... goths are just supposedly moody.  

Rellik San
Crew

Mina

PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2008 1:40 pm
http://gothic-charm-school.com/charm/?p=86 An informed, and less catty opinion on the subject.

Emo is a different subculture. Instead of being bristly about the subject and continuing stereotypes (goths are just moody? What?), do some research and correct someone politely if they label you incorrectly.  
PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2008 1:47 pm
Mina
http://gothic-charm-school.com/charm/?p=86 An informed, and less catty opinion on the subject.

Emo is a different subculture. Instead of being bristly about the subject and continuing stereotypes (goths are just moody? What?), do some research and correct someone politely if they label you incorrectly.
I wasn't catty, I was honest and if you read what I said it was 'supposedly moody' and is in thats how people see them. razz  

Rellik San
Crew

Mina

PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2008 1:58 pm
Rellik San
I wasn't catty, I was honest and if you read what I said it was 'supposedly moody' and is in thats how people see them. razz

You weren't catty, you were stating a stereotype that for all the people I know in different aspects of goth subculture isn't true. Goth does not = moodiness. I'm simply pointing it out. Nothing against you.

The first poster was being slightly catty, and I've heard a lot of younger goths complain along with her in a very catty manner. It's an easy thing to do (bristle up about the mislabeling).  
PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2008 2:32 pm
Mina
Rellik San

You weren't catty, you were stating a stereotype that for all the people I know in different aspects of goth subculture isn't true. Goth does not = moodiness. I'm simply pointing it out. Nothing against you.

The first poster was being slightly catty, and I've heard a lot of younger goths complain along with her in a very catty manner. It's an easy thing to do (bristle up about the mislabeling).
Oh who really gives a crap about labels... t6he only labels you need are 'cool' 'lame' 'awesome' 'hot' 'ugly' 'sexy' 'beautiful' 't**t' 'd**k head' and 'c**t'.  

Rellik San
Crew

Henneth Annun
Captain

PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2008 7:07 pm
Shinobu_princess
i hate it when people confuse goth with emo!!!!!
BIG DIFFERENCE!!!
Ja, jag vet...  
PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2008 8:06 pm
Rellik San
Oh who really gives a crap about labels... t6he only labels you need are 'cool' 'lame' 'awesome' 'hot' 'ugly' 'sexy' 'beautiful' 't**t' 'd**k head' and 'c**t'.

Labels are necessary evils in society. You don't use them to fully define you, but you can use them to give a quick and dirty definition to someone else without having to say more than a word or a phrase.

That being said, why are you in a goth forum, complaining about labels?  

Mina

-Resurrected Writer-
Crew

PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2008 6:24 pm
Mina

That website isn't entirely accurate, either.

Website
emo (short for “emotional”) is a rock genre. However, it’s often used to refer to a style of dress, a kind of (usually bad) poetry, etc. And like any subculture or scene that springs up, there is a particular look or style that seems to go along with it. In the case of emo, that means tight black jeans, tight t-shirts, layers of hoodies and/or thrift store jackets, asymmetrical hair (usually dyed black and loaded with product to make it even more asymmetrical), and eyeliner on everyone.

User Image

Website
Goth, as the Lady of the Manners has said before, is in many ways about finding beauty, romance, and decadence in dark or unexpected places.

User Image  
PostPosted: Sat Apr 19, 2008 9:43 am
I can agree that her commentary on emo isn't entirely accurate, but she did try to address it and do a little research. My personal opinion is that they're both different subcultures, and while certain similarities overlap (make-up, having a heyday as most picked-on group in HS), it's comparing apples to oranges.

What? You don't think Rozz Williams is beautiful in an unexpected, dark way? I have a feeling many ladies who swooned over him and his lyrics/band will disagree. And, for the record (and to defend a blog I enjoy), I have a feeling she was covering a small portion of what goth "is" to recap earlier entries, and I think that discussion (what goth is) is always going to be argued back and forth.  

Mina

Henneth Annun
Captain

PostPosted: Sat Apr 19, 2008 6:38 pm
Mina
Rellik San

Because we like goth music, and we're part of the culture. Who gives a ******** if we were labled goth at any point in our lives, a lot of people don't even know that much about us anyway.  
PostPosted: Sat Apr 19, 2008 6:55 pm
I'm not really sure what you're saying. Are you responding to me? I'm agreeing. This is a forum where a label is applied, and we use it to identify with a sub-culture we enjoy and are apart of. If someone says, "well, labels don't matter anyway," apart from several misused adjectives and/or insults, I responded, asking why are they in a forum where a label is integral. You don't search for Gaia guilds to join with feelings and sunshine, you use a term or "label," to find something such as "goth," because the word defines many things that you identify with or enjoy.

Labels aren't bad. They're not good, either. They're a neutral facet of language used to categorize something. Many young people are bitter about them because they can be used too freely or harshly (or incorrectly) in a less-than-intellectual environment (such as high school). However, they are necessary for basic communication.  

Mina

-Resurrected Writer-
Crew

PostPosted: Sat Apr 19, 2008 9:33 pm
Mina
I can agree that her commentary on emo isn't entirely accurate, but she did try to address it and do a little research. My personal opinion is that they're both different subcultures, and while certain similarities overlap (make-up, having a heyday as most picked-on group in HS), it's comparing apples to oranges.

What? You don't think Rozz Williams is beautiful in an unexpected, dark way? I have a feeling many ladies who swooned over him and his lyrics/band will disagree. And, for the record (and to defend a blog I enjoy), I have a feeling she was covering a small portion of what goth "is" to recap earlier entries, and I think that discussion (what goth is) is always going to be argued back and forth.

However, the inaccuracy comes from the general misinterpretation of emo (short for "emotive hardcore", rather than "emotional"). Especially considering that emo is - largely - a dead scene (most recent emotive hardcore band I can think of is Hot Cross). Much like how goths have mallgoths, emos (if there are any existing) have "emos".

As for Rozz, while I would agree with that statement, I would generally like to think that a self-proclaimed goth would at least be able to name a couple of Bauhaus, Siouxsie & the Banshees, Christian Death, or Sisters of Mercy albums. While there is the argument of state-of-mind/finding-dark-beauty/darkly-artistic/etc., said argument shows little acknowledgement of the history of the goth scene.
But to her credit, the author of that website did show knowledge of that history (in one paragraph discussing fashion).  
PostPosted: Sat Apr 19, 2008 10:27 pm
I believe she's been in the scene for a long time, so I'd hope she'd be able to name some albums.

Would you say that modern "emo" is not unlike pop-punk, in that it's new following and style isn't really indicative of it's namesake?  

Mina

Rellik San
Crew

PostPosted: Sun Apr 20, 2008 5:39 pm
Mina
Rellik San

Labels are necessary evils in society. You don't use them to fully define you, but you can use them to give a quick and dirty definition to someone else without having to say more than a word or a phrase.

See thats a tricky one, a non goth in a goth forum... like the fact I hate emo but I do own an emo forum... lifes full of funny little mysteries like that.  
Spam / Gaming - Related Topics

Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff