Welcome to Gaia! ::

Craftin' - A sewing, knitting and glue kind of place.

Back to Guilds

Reply Craftin'
Crocheted Ankle "Spirit Bells"- pattern wanted

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Kitanya_Rose

PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2008 3:22 am
I used to buy these things at the Ren Fest every so often. They're crocheted, and they have little bells on them... they tie around your ankles.

I'm looking for a pattern to make my own.

If you can point me in the right direction, or just post it here??
Also, if you post it here, can you dumb it down for me? I'm not so good with SC/DC/SO/DSO kinda things. (yeah, some of those probably aren't real)

Love you for looking!  
PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2008 8:36 am
I think the challenge of this will be to find the bells. My suggestion is if you can find the bells, just crochet a band that'll go around your ankle and attach the bells with jump rings to some of the loops.

You can also pre-thread the bells onto a thin thread or piece of yarn and just carry that thread with the yarn you're using and deposit a bell wherever you want.  

Catcheen
Crew

Kitanya_Rose

PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2008 7:00 pm
Catcheen
I think the challenge of this will be to find the bells. My suggestion is if you can find the bells, just crochet a band that'll go around your ankle and attach the bells with jump rings to some of the loops.

You can also pre-thread the bells onto a thin thread or piece of yarn and just carry that thread with the yarn you're using and deposit a bell wherever you want.

Hmmm.. I hadn't checked lately, but Hobby Lobby used to carry the bells. The thread the anklets are made from is thin enough to pre-thread the bells and just allow them to drop... I hadn't thought about that and had always wondered how they managed to get the bells on. Thanks, Catcheen!

Now, all I need is to figure out if the bells are still for sale, and find a pattern...  
PostPosted: Sat Apr 19, 2008 7:36 pm
They sound fun, bells! heart

dragonhealer

AriRashkae

PostPosted: Tue Apr 29, 2008 7:05 pm
Bracelet and choker patterns could be easily adapted to size, and bookmarks could be joined at the ends with a cute button or something. A "stretchy" yarn (like some sock yarns) would add a little more give to get it over the foot, as well as be about the right thickness.

ETA: Also check headband patterns. What would be huge in a worsted or sport weight would probably scale nicely if done in a lace or fingering weight.

Actually, just about any crochet edging will work. Do a few round (I'd guess 3, but experiment) in SC or something that will hold onto the ankle well, and then just work a lace pattern. Should work nicely.

Now I need to try my own idea. Dammit, I need to be using up all this worsted weight first! xd  
Craftin'

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games