Welcome to Gaia! ::

~ Midnight Moon ~

Back to Guilds

~ for pagans, wiccans and witches ~ 

Tags: wiccan, witchcraft, paganism, wicca, heathenry 

Reply *~Archives~* (BOS and resource room)
[CLASS] Goddesses Goto Page: 1 2 3 ... 4 5 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Siren Stern

PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2008 9:28 pm
EDIT BY MOD
This class is no longer accepting students, so it has been placed in the library for reference purposes.

Merry meet!

This is my class about Goddesses, their correspondance in magic and the power of Sacred Feminine in wiccanian rituals. I will pass my knowledge and I hope you can make good use of it. I'm Siren Stern, a Brazilian who follows the Dianic path. As my point of view is a little bit feminist, you're surely free to adapt the information you'll get on to your own rituals. As Starhawk says, the most powerful rituals are the ones you do for yourself. I love receving questions and I'll answer every single one. If you get a doubt, don't be shy to send it to me. There is no fool question, as your doubt can be the the same doubt of someone else too.

TEACHING OUTLINE
1. The subject of the class: Goddesses Correspondance
2. Date class starts: April 24th
3. New classes once a month.
4. Next class (estimated): September 28th
5. Basic outline for course of study:

1st day (April 24th)
A. Introduction to the Goddess
*Who is She?
*Paleolithic and Neolithic ages
*Ancient pagan cult for Goddess
*Inquisition
*Feminist movements
*The returning of the Goddess
*Learning to connect with your inner Goddess

2nd day (May 15th)
B. Maiden, Mother and Crone: the three aspects of Her
*The Triple Goddes over the cultures
*The Triple Goddess and the Moon
*The Triple Goddess' correspondances
*Maiden: the bloom of life
*Mother: the supporter and fecundating of life
*Crone: She who knows the Mysteries
*Learning to create an Altar to the Goddess
*Learning to connect with the three faces of the Goddess

3rd to 11th day
C. Goddesses from the World:
C1. Isis (Egypt) - Mother (May 29th)
C2. Eostre (England) - Maiden (June 12th)
C3. Hecate (Greece) - Crone (June 26th)
C4. Ariadne (Greece) - Maiden (June 19th)
C5. Amaterasu (Japan) - Mother (August 25th)
C6. Baba Yaga (Russia) - Crone
C7. Yemaya (Nigeria) - Mother
C8. Pacha Mama (Peru) - Crone
C9. Venus (Rome) - Maiden

12th day
D. Using the Goddess' Energy in your rituals
* Casting the Magic Circle with the Goddess
* Making rituals to the Goddesses
* Using what we learned to create our own rituals

13th day
E. Closing
* Goddesses Glosary - a list of some other Goddesses around the world
* Goddesses and the Seasons
* Goddesses and the Elements
* Feedback wink  
PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2008 11:40 am
"In the infinite moment before all time
the Goddess arose from chaos
and gave birth to Herself.

This was before anything else had been born
... not even Herself.
And when She separated the skies from the waters
She danced upon them.

As She danced, so did Her ecstasy increase.
In Her ecstasy She created everything that is.

Her movements made the wind and the element
Air was born and did breathe.
And the Goddess named Herself:
Arianrhod, Cardea, Astarte

And sparks were struck from Her dancing feet
so that She shone forth as the Sun,
and the stars were caught in Her hair.
Comets raced about Her,
and the element Fire was born.
Sunna, Vesta, Pele

About her feet swirled the waters in tidal wave and river,
and flowing stream.
The element Water did move.
And She named Herself:
Binah, Mari Morgaine, Lakshmi

And She sought to rest her feet from their dance,
and She brought forth the Earth
so that the shores were Her footstool,
the fertile lands Her womb,
the mountains Her full breasts,
and Her streaming hair the growing things.

Cerridwen, Demeter, the Corn Mother

She saw that which was and is and will be,
born of Her sacred dance and cosmic delight,
and infinite joy.

She laughed, and the Goddess created Woman in Her own image,
to be the Priestess of the Great Mother.

From Her Elements; Earth, Air, Fire and Water,
the Goddess created for Herself a Consort -
for love, pleasure, companionship and sharing.

The Goddess then spoke to Her daughters, saying:
"I am the Moon to light your path
and to speak to your rhythms.

I am the Dancer and the Dance.
I whirl without motion.

I am the Sun who gives you warmth
in which to stretch and grow.
I am All that will Be.

I am the Wind to blow at your call
and the sparkling Waters that offer joy.

I am the Fire of the Dance of Life,
and I am the Earth beneath your dancing feet.

I give to all my priestesses three aspects that are Mine:

I am Artemis, the Maiden of the Animals,
the Virgin of the Hunt.
I am Isis, the Great Mother.
I am Ngame, the Ancient One who winds the shroud.

I shall be called a million names.

Call unto me, daughters, and know that I am Nemesis."
We are Virgins, Mothers, Old Ones - All.

We offer our created energy:
to the Spirit of Women Past,
to the Spirit of Women yet to Come,
to Woman Spirit Present and Growing.
Behold, we move forward together.
And it is Good."

Dianic Creation Myth by Morgan McFarland  

Siren Stern

Siren Stern

PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2008 12:03 pm
First class: an introdution to the Goddess
Who is She?
The first religion in the World was the cult to the Goddess. Even if today the world "Goddess" reminds majority of occidentals to mythology classes in school, She is still here. In these days, old temples are in ruins and old songs and rituals were forgotten. Baba Yaga is just a tale, Yemaya is only a superstition, Pacha Mamma is nothing but folklore, Lilith is a 'vampiress', Venus is just a planet name, Athena is a 'superheroine' from a manga, Brigit became a catholic saint, Morrigan is a videogame character, Hell is just a bad word... the Goddesses were put aside in fairytales books and their stories have been read by schollars just as a psychological figuration User Imageof ancients. But even with this pushing to the edges, She has remained as Amenti (the hidden one) until the neopagan movement atone her once again.

The first world religions were cults to the Goddess. Archeological evidences found all over the world such statues, talismans, amulets and vases with feminine themes are proofs of that. In the beggining of civilization sex weren't associated to pregnancy, so women belived they beget babies by themselves without men help, they were the sacred life givers. That was a time when women weren't property of men, they were the priestess, the midwife, the witchdoctors, the own Goddess representation on Earth. By this way, it isn't strange to discover the first notion of Divinity was a female Goddess.

Through the cultures and ages, the Goddess obtained many adjectives: creatrix, maiden, mother, queen, destructor, warrior, huntress, artist, judge, healler, lover and witch. Her habilities and attributes aroused as the cultures progressed. Even if She got several names and faces, the Goddess were always associated to Sun, Moon, Earth and the skies. For that reason, Her religion is the religion of the nature. Everyone who worship Her is either worshipping or taking care of the nature.

In Wicca, the Goddess pictures the queen with her consort, the God. She takes care of her son which dies young in the winter and reborn again in the spring, representing the seasons. She is the craft central figure and represents the biosphere, the elemental forces, the life. She is the creatrix and the destructor, queen of heavens and Moon. Everything is sacred to her, and it's said She loves diversity. Maybe that's one reason why the persons who come to Wicca are from different cultures, societies, political views or sexualities - as they are very well accepted by the Goddess beying who they are. As She is the lady of liberty, She frees our minds, our bodies and our spirits from paradigms that refrains us from express ourselves.

In the next lines we will see a brief abstract of Goddess return in these days. I'm very sorry for don't talking about Inquisition, but this would make this class much longer.

Goddess rebirth:
Early 1990:
many schollars as archeologists and anthropologist started to write about the Primordial Mother Goddess. Margaret Murray wrote two books revealing that the Medieval Witchcraft would be the surviving ancient pre-Christian cult of Goddess. Her work was discredited by many persons, but modern initiates accepted her theory.

50s: Thereupon the last Brittish law againt Witchcraft was repealed, Gerald Gardner and Doreen Valiente spreaded Wicca as successor of Old Religion. Gardner Witchcraft admitted a Goddess of Earth, Moon and sea; and a Horned God of hunt and Sun. Women were the priestess and there was a lot of sexism in this tradition.

60s: Wicca spreaded even after Gardner's death. In the USA, women begun the feminist movement againt the patriarchate and pounded over every single aspect of their lives, including the spiritual. In 1968 Mary Daly wrote about women in Church. In 1969 Morning Glory Zell started to work Wicca with the feminists.

70s: Women started to use the concept of Goddess as part of feminist movement. Mary Daly's book "Beyond God the Father" was published in 1973. Another books such "Of Woman Born" of Adrienne Rich; "When God was a woman" of Merlin Stone and "The Feminist Book of Lights and Shadows" of Zsuzsanna Budapest were published. Dianic Wicca started to emphasize Goddess and women, without men or masculine aspects of the Divine in its philosophy. A lot of Wiccan traditional elements such hierarchies, grades and formalities begun to decline. In 1979 Starhawk published The Spiral Dance and heached a greater audience.

80s: In spite of the name Wicca remained, a great number of persons begun to use the word "neopagan" to refer to themselves. Neopaganist quested to God a equal position to Goddess, but never of supre­mity. Neopagan movement absorvs the Dianic status given to Goddess and women. The Goddess begun to be identified with the Earth and Gaia hypothesis.

90s: In 1993 Neopaganism was represented in the World Council of Religious. Even thus, several pagans were discriminated for their faith. So many persons confuse Wicca with satanism, believing that witchcraft wasn't a valid religion and, by this way, doesn't deserve the same religious rights and protection laws assembled to other religions.

2000: Wicca grows and spreads all around the world. TV shows and several books became known by the public. The Goddess returns and lives one more!

References (materials of):
* Rayann Creidne
* Claudiney Prieto
* Raymond Buckland
* Starhawk

Quote:
Meet your Inner Goddess:

Close your eyes, relax you body, center yourself in your path. Take a deep breath, connect yourself with the four elements: Earth, Air, Fire and Water. See yourself walking to your Inner Goddess. Imagination is half-step to magic.

She is everything: Maiden, Mother and Crone. Think of her. She is strong, she is beautiful, she is pacificatory. So ask yourself some questions and put the answers in the image of your Inner Goddes.

How do the Goddess shows herself to your?
* Is she sit or standing?
* Is she dressed or naked?
* What is her hair color?
* Is her hair lenght short or long?
* Which is her hair style? Soft? Curly? Waved?
* What is your Goddess skin color?
* What do you see in her eyes?
* Is her nose small or big? Is it flat or thin?
* Is her lips thin or fleshy? Dark or fair?
* Is her breasts big or small? Which is its shape?
* Does she bring something in her hands? If yes, what is it?
* Is she smilling?

Ask here if she can tell you her name. If she doesn't answer, it's okay. She is every Goddess, the lady of 10.000 names and infinite power. She can manifest to you through several names in the different moments of your life. Every single face of your inner Goddes will have something unique to teach you, and she can assume a new name and form anytime you need another advices, when your priorities and needs turn to different from today.

Do she says anything to you? If you can't listen to her, it's okay. You can feel something, even if it's not expressed by words. She loves you. She is the power that lies inside your soul for those times when you feel scared and unsafe. She will always be besides you. She is above, bellow, ahead, behind, around, inside and ouside yourself.

Look at her and let she hugs you. Feel your Inner Goddess love filling you. Trust her, because she will guide you through your roads.

In the end, walk with your Inner Goddes back to this time. Say farewell to her and return to your body conscience.

Your Inner Goddess lies inside you. Everytime you need, conect youself to her again.

Adapted from Rayann Creidne and Starhawk material.

Any doubt, discussion or sugestion, please submit a post! Please, let me know how was your connection to your Inner Goddess.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2008 8:02 pm
I finally have a day off...so I will be able to take some time to do the above exercise. I can't wait.  

too2sweet
Captain

Tipsy Fairy

Siren Stern

PostPosted: Wed Apr 30, 2008 9:52 pm
too2sweet
I finally have a day off...so I will be able to take some time to do the above exercise. I can't wait.

Please, Too2sweet, when you do the exercise, let me know how it was. You can post here on by PM.  
PostPosted: Thu May 01, 2008 11:58 am
I will probably do the exercise this weekend. I don't have any spare time to relax. I will post my results as soon as I can.  

Indigo Star Child

too2sweet
Captain

Tipsy Fairy

PostPosted: Sun May 04, 2008 6:22 pm
I have to admit, that while in general my meditation skills are good - as of late my ability to relax enough to get into a meditative state has been sorely lacking. So while I did attempt the exercise - I think I was having an off night. Though I have a fairly good connection to my Goddess anyway, I am definitely going to try the exercise again.  
PostPosted: Wed May 07, 2008 7:04 pm
too2sweet
I have to admit, that while in general my meditation skills are good - as of late my ability to relax enough to get into a meditative state has been sorely lacking. So while I did attempt the exercise - I think I was having an off night. Though I have a fairly good connection to my Goddess anyway, I am definitely going to try the exercise again.

Too2sweet, there is no problem if you couldn't connect to her yet. You can try again, next week, in our next class, we can discuss about this. Please, share your connections here or by PM so we can talk about them.  

Siren Stern

too2sweet
Captain

Tipsy Fairy

PostPosted: Fri May 09, 2008 11:41 am
I think part of my problem is that I already am connected with Isis (I can always feel her presence) and to seek her out with no specific purpose in mind seems to me like I am bothering her for no reason. That in itself could very well be blocking me - I don't feel like I should...therefore I can't.  
PostPosted: Sat May 10, 2008 9:07 am
Too2sweet, although your Inner Goddess could show herself as Isis either, as you're working with here energy lately, there is no problem if you don't feel confortable to do this exercise. wink  

Siren Stern

Siren Stern

PostPosted: Thu May 15, 2008 6:03 pm
Second class: Maiden, Mother and Crone: the three aspects of Her

In Wicca the Goddess is Triple, but at the same time only one Deity. The Goddess isn't a transcendent Divinty, far away in a heaven from her creation. She is immanent, present everywhere, everytime. She is inside and outside us and She can communicate by our thought, attitudes, words and gestures. Sometimes She communicates by a banner headline, by the sweet or reprehensive words of a friend, by a child's smile or by a crossing of a bird in sky. Other times, She doesn't communicates by none of this ways, but by our feelings. We can feel her presence and love when we are lonely and sad, conforting our heart when we pass through problems. She's always near us, giving us the sensation of being part of everything.

In Wicca, the Goddess brings within herself the triplicity of Maiden, Mother and Crone. They represents the aspects of life which every woman will pass one day, but more than that, each one is a symbol of several possibilities of life, such:

Quote:
Born / Live / Die
Morning / Afternoon / Night
Cold / Tepid / Warm
Youth / Maturity / Hoariness
Creation / Development / Conclusion

The Goddesses of several cultures take one of these three faces and represent it, but sometimes the Goddesses are the three in one at the same time. The triple Goddesses seem to be associate to othe Goddesses that became less important at some point and, by this way, were absorved by a powerful Goddess in the region. In some Traditions, a sisters triad can represent the Triple Goddess either: like Brigit, Morrigan, the Parcae or the Norns. Like so many Triple Goddesses, they can show themselves as a supreme Divinty, in a singular aspect (like Morrigan), or divided in their three faces (like the Parcae).

As they can be invoqued in every aspect of them, the Triple Goddesses can be invoqued in several rituals, needs and functions. So, working with the Triple Goddess is easier sometimes than with a particular Goddess, as there's no needing of memorize a huge list of diferent Goddesses for diferent aspects. Anyone can choose a panteon of preference, identify a Triple Goddess and report to her when feel necessity.  
PostPosted: Thu May 15, 2008 6:19 pm
MAIDEN
The bloom of life

The Maiden, also called the Virgin, Daughter or Young, is the first aspect of the Goddess that can be identified since immemorial times.User Image "Sacred Virgin" was the title of Ishtar, Asherah and Aphrodite priestess. This title doesn't represents directly the virginity, but merely "not married", as the sexuality isn't denyed or denigrated in the Goddess Traditions. By this way, there is no necessity to associate virginity to the Maiden. The function of the "Sacred Virgins" was blooming the Goddess gifts and love through sexual cult, besides to heal, to prophesy, to dance in temple, to cry the death and to become the wife of the God in the rituals. Children borned of these rituals were called "Bathur" by the Semites and "Panthenioni" by the Greeks, both meaning "born of the Virgin", and they were raised by the community as they were considered the Gods' children.

The Maiden shows herself as a young woman or teenage, blooming to life, exploring her sexuality and learning about her beauty. This way, the Maiden is seemed as a sexual being. She's discovering her feminility and for that reason she's interested in particular with her body and what it can do. She's learning to deal with her beauty and to manipulate the men's affections using her seduction. That's the reason she's associated with the Spring, as it's the moment of new beginnings, when the Earth is awakening from the Winter sleep. The Maiden color is white, color of purity, and she is associated to the Waning Moon and, somethimes, to the New Moon.

Some Maiden Goddesses are Diana, Persephone, Kore, Blodeuwedd, Artemis, Ariadne, Hestia, Athena, Aphrodite, Venus, Aine, Branwen and Eostre.

Siren Stern

Siren Stern

PostPosted: Thu May 15, 2008 6:25 pm
MOTHER
The supporter and fecundating of life

The second aspect of the Goddess is the Mother, also called Friend, Lover, Warrior or Sister. She is considered the Great Mother, the User ImageMother Nature, what meens that she is the Creatrix and the donator of life. Seas, fountains, wells and lakes were always associated to feminine because they represents the Goddess' uterus. The Mother's face is the knowest face of Goddess. The Earth feeds us like a mother nourish her children and that's the reason several cultures venerates the Earth as a Mother face of the Goddess.

She is the one who teaches us with whisdom, protects us, disciplines us and gives us kindness. Sometimes the Mother is seemed as a pregnant woman, with big breasts and vulva, representing fertility and abundance. But, sometimes she is represented as warrior or as a woman with a kid in her arms. The Summer is ther season, when the fruits are ready to harvest. The Sun, today seemed as a male Divinty, were a symbol of the Goddess in ancient times, as the Sun Goddesses Brigit, Grian, Sunna, Amaterasu and Sekhmet/Bast can prove. The Summer represents the fertility's pinnacle of Goddess, who gets pregnant to give birth to herself in the winter. That's why her sacred color is red, the color of the blood that beget the life. Her lunar phase is the Full Moon.

Some Mother Goddesses are Demeter, Isis/Aset, Gaia, Brigit, Nut, Hera, Dannu, Luna, Arianrhod, Yemaya, Durga, Jaci and Lakshmi

PostPosted: Thu May 15, 2008 6:35 pm
CRONE
She who knows the Mysteries

The third aspect of the Goddess is the Crone, also called Granny, Hag, Wise and Midwife. User ImageNowaday maybe she's the most frightening aspect of Goddess, in particular because one of the Crone's functions in death. With the death comes the fear of the unkown, the fear of being alone and the fear of losing our beloved ones. But we should not fear death. The Crone teaches us it's just a transition period, and its signals can be found in the nature. Where there is death, there is rebirth, the cicle neverends as the same power that brings to death is the one which brings to life.

So, the Crone is the guardian of the mysteries of magic and wisdom and she's the Queen of the underworld, the shadow of the secrets that only time can give to us. One special aspect of Crone is that she is the Triple Goddess herself. She already passed through the Maiden's sensuality and the Mother's labour's pain. These memories has transformed her in the one who can carry us through the darkness wisely. She is either the Midwife because that was a position given only to the oldest women in the tribes. As every progress of changing in our lives is a revival, the Crone gives us the intuition to walk through the paths of our lives.

She can be taken as a Warrior Goddess either, because where there is blood of battle there is the crying of the war and the fear of death. She is the one who boasts us to destroy our enemies, the outside ones as the inside ones. She's the one who expel bad spirits, as she is the underworld's Lady. She is associated to the Winter, a period of transformation. Her color is the black and her lunar phase is the Waxing Moon.

Some Crone Goddesses are Hecate, Ceridwen, Badb, Macha, Morrigu, Kali, Baba Yaga, Ereshkigal, Hell, Pacha Mama, Coatlicue, Ate and Sheela Na Gig

Siren Stern

*~Archives~* (BOS and resource room)

Goto Page: 1 2 3 ... 4 5 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces