Welcome to Gaia! ::

+ The Official 'Got Goth?' Guild +

Back to Guilds

Tags: goth, subculture, alternative 

Reply ~ Main Forum ~
What is the differnece between goth and punk???

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Autre79

PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2008 12:18 pm
I'm curious.. and i don't know that is why i asked smile  
PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2008 12:28 pm
Who would ask this question? And it depends on what you mean anyways tehre are different types of "punks" anymore.  

Nikki the Juggalette

Gaylord Mule 3

PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2008 12:58 pm
Punks are alot more vocal about thier rebellion as well as generaly more colourful. I recomend the formula of think of goth and bunk as brothers. while Punk(the older of the two) is out getting drunk and breaking stuff goth is up in his room writhign poetry and then maybe he'll go drink.  
PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2008 2:14 pm
Punk was a social and political teen movement of the mid-70's, primarily gaining strength in Britain and moving later to other countries. The movement was heavily ideal based, sharing common misanthopic, pessimistic, anarchic, and anti-capitalist beliefs, however, the movement was largely generated around and from a genre of music and the fashion scene associated with it.

Goth was a musical movement rooted in the late 70's and continuing on to today, drawing primary influence from post-punk, and to a lesser degree, glam and various experimental styles. The musical movement quickly developed a popular aesthetic (including fashion and make-up), which has since been drawn from by other cultures.

In short? They're really not very related. Punk was very image based (how the individual is percieved), very ideallist. Goth was mostly about the music, and to an extent, the aesthetic.

Now, they do have some ties, I suppose. Punk lead to post-punk which lead to goth. But this isn't to say that punk's incarnation shares common traits with goth's.  

GilAskan
Crew

Kostbarer Alptraum

PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2008 6:11 pm
Lazarus The Resurected
Punks are alot more vocal about thier rebellion as well as generaly more colourful. I recomend the formula of think of goth and bunk as brothers. while Punk(the older of the two) is out getting drunk and breaking stuff goth is up in his room writhign poetry and then maybe he'll go drink.

That is a lovely metaphor. X)

PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2008 10:13 am
Kostbarer Alptraum
Lazarus The Resurected

That is a lovely metaphor. X)

Why not drink then write poetry...though then the poems never rhyme...or make any sence....  

Nikki the Juggalette

Rellik San
Crew

PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2008 11:25 pm
Surely easier then that, would be punk was a unique off shoot from rock music.

Where as goth holds its roots firmly in the new romantic scene.  
PostPosted: Fri Apr 25, 2008 10:43 am
Rellik San
Surely easier then that, would be punk was a unique off shoot from rock music.

Where as goth holds its roots firmly in the new romantic scene.

Goth and New Romantic were pretty much unrelated. New Romantic was more an offshoot of New Wave. Duran Duran, Adam Ant, ABC and Flock of Seagulls were New Romantic, and the scene evolved almost directly from Roxy Music and Brian Eno. About the only thing they had in common with the goth scene was a mutual influence from David Bowie. Goth came pretty much directly out of punk (and was actually known as 'Positive Punk' when it first started)  

This Old Oscillator

~ Main Forum ~

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff