Do you like Tim Burton?
  Eh he's...whatever
  Yeah he's ahhmazing!
  Who's Tim Burton?!?!?!
  GIMMIE GOOOLD
View Results

Nikki the Juggalette

PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2008 12:57 pm
Don't ask I just was rummaging through sites and I found this..thought it was interesting and though I'd share it. I am fully aware that this was in '06 please do not mention that to me.
Anyways here's the link for the full story. Story
(I copy and pasted the below)

MTV: For better or worse, you're a patron saint of the so-called "goth" movement. How do you feel about that?

Burton: People get scared of people like that, but they really are quite sweet, great people. It's that image versus what people have in their heart versus what people think people should look like — that always causes a problem.

MTV: On the flip side, though, goth kids are often linked with things like suicide and cutting. Have you ever had an encounter with a fan who ultimately took the goth thing too far?

Burton: Well, I can only speak for myself, and I know responding to that kind of imagery didn't make me worse. It made me feel more at home and psychologically able to work out certain things. People argue the opposite, that it creates that kind of problem, but most of the people are using it to work out things in life.  
PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2008 5:36 pm
first of all, i would agree to an extent that Burton made a small contribution to the whole goth thing, but he's not "parton saint". and why is MTV interviewing him? doesn't anyone know they're not to be taken seriously?
Quote:

MTV: On the flip side, though, goth kids are often linked with things like suicide and cutting.

and MTV is horribly wrong, as that is more associated with emo.
Quote:
Have you ever had an encounter with a fan who ultimately took the goth thing too far?

i wonder if they realize that by televising this that they are miseducating millions of unaware viewers out there. well, MTV is mainstream anyway, and they killed just about everything they touch. whoever this interviewer is is a dumbass, because cutting and suicide is not a "goth thing". and my rant is getting less and less about Burton but more about how MTV portrays things in a corrupt light.  

Ayame_Rikimayu

Kostbarer Alptraum

PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2008 5:55 pm
Burton did make contributions to the goth subculture but "patron saint" is not the word to describe him. Nightmare is overrated (so is X-mas) but his point of "death is a part of life [in other cultures]" is something that definetly needs to be acknowledged more openly in the American culture. It's not morbid or evil or any of those stereotypes-- it's simply part of the cycle. We have to admit that we're all a little in love with death. Humour is also quite a big part of being goth because as Twain pinpointed, "The cause of all humour is sorrow". They simply go hand in hand. Other than that, the MTV reporter really needs to go back to high school and learn a real trade.
...I really feel like smacking that person on the head...

PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2008 7:13 pm
Ayame_Rikimayu
first of all, i would agree to an extent that Burton made a small contribution to the whole goth thing, but he's not "parton saint". and why is MTV interviewing him? doesn't anyone know they're not to be taken seriously?
Quote:

MTV: On the flip side, though, goth kids are often linked with things like suicide and cutting.

Quote:
Have you ever had an encounter with a fan who ultimately took the goth thing too far?

i wonder if they realize that by televising this that they are miseducating millions of unaware viewers out there. well, MTV is mainstream anyway, and they killed just about everything they touch. whoever this interviewer is is a dumbass, because cutting and suicide is not a "goth thing". and my rant is getting less and less about Burton but more about how MTV portrays things in a corrupt light.

MTV did the whole time talking about goth culture portray it more as an "emo" thing. However, they were stero=typing whether it was goth, emo, prep, any type. The point they are stero-typing, and tehy make goths seem horrible. Burton, however, told them we are not like that, in fact, most goths are some of the nicest people you'll meet.  

Nikki the Juggalette

Nikki the Juggalette

PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2008 7:18 pm
Kostbarer Alptraum
Burton did make contributions to the goth subculture but "patron saint" is not the word to describe him. Nightmare is overrated (so is X-mas) but his point of "death is a part of life [in other cultures]" is something that definetly needs to be acknowledged more openly in the American culture. It's not morbid or evil or any of those stereotypes-- it's simply part of the cycle. We have to admit that we're all a little in love with death. Humour is also quite a big part of being goth because as Twain pinpointed, "The cause of all humour is sorrow". They simply go hand in hand. Other than that, the MTV reporter really needs to go back to high school and learn a real trade.
...I really feel like smacking that person on the head...

I think portraying death in comedy is great. It happens, being scared of it or worrying about it means you are simply wasting your life. How much time does teh average american spend at nights worrying about it? It's going to happen, no doubt about it. Putting it into comedy makes it easier to understand, and less scary for kids.

Why people see death as "morbid" is beyond me if it's just as natural as breathing. Do you think about breathing? no, so why worry about death or make it seem like a bad thing. Someone dies it's a time to rejoice the life they had not crying because it's gone.  
PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2008 10:39 pm
Nikura Uchiha
Ayame_Rikimayu
Quote:

Quote:

MTV did the whole time talking about goth culture portray it more as an "emo" thing. However, they were stero=typing whether it was goth, emo, prep, any type. The point they are stero-typing, and tehy make goths seem horrible. Burton, however, told them we are not like that, in fact, most goths are some of the nicest people you'll meet.

@Bold: The more often I hear that phrase, the more often I think about the possibility of someone on the other side going "Yeah? Well this one goth I knew was a real d**k."  

-Resurrected Writer-
Crew

AdrianaKitten

PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2008 9:58 am
I do like most of his stuf so he's a patron saint with me but MTV has to put their grabby reality show paws on everything I love once in a while. rolleyes  
PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2008 10:07 am
-Resurrected Writer-
Nikura Uchiha
Ayame_Rikimayu
Quote:

Quote:

@Bold: The more often I hear that phrase, the more often I think about the possibility of someone on the other side going "Yeah? Well this one goth I knew was a real d**k."

Which goes to show that goths are just as normal as anyther person. You could meet some preppy guy but thta doesn't mean s**t he could be just as bad right?  

Nikki the Juggalette

Naztakuan

PostPosted: Mon May 05, 2008 11:06 am
Not everything Tim Burton crates is good. Some of it really sucks.
HELLO PLANET OF THE APES??! stressed It was some horrib;e crap I tell you. Tim Burton should never remake...oh I'm sorry RE-IMAGINE ANYTHING...EVER! Leave it alone Tim.. scream JEEZUS.  
PostPosted: Mon May 05, 2008 3:06 pm
Naztakuan
Not everything Tim Burton crates is good. Some of it really sucks.
HELLO PLANET OF THE APES??! stressed It was some horrib;e crap I tell you. Tim Burton should never remake...oh I'm sorry RE-IMAGINE ANYTHING...EVER! Leave it alone Tim.. scream JEEZUS.

that was very.......constructive?  

Nikki the Juggalette

Henneth Annun
Captain

PostPosted: Mon May 05, 2008 4:59 pm
Nikura Uchiha
-Resurrected Writer-
Nikura Uchiha
Ayame_Rikimayu
Quote:

Quote:

Which goes to show that goths are just as normal as anyther person. You could meet some preppy guy but thta doesn't mean s**t he could be just as bad right?
Here here.

MTV really pisses me off. Now 2 million 13 year olds are going to think I'm some sort of suicidal maniac, if they don't think that already. Everything I was going to say has already been said. Goodbye.  
PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2008 4:17 pm
I happen to really like Tim Burton, but I'm not sure if that has anything to do with me being gothic or not. I grew up watching his movies. Liking him just kind of feel natural to me.  

littlegirlrai

j3ll0_m0nk3y

High-functioning Shapeshifter

17,000 Points
  • Budding Witch 250
  • Conquerer of Familiars 350
  • Ghost Hunter 250
PostPosted: Thu May 22, 2008 3:51 pm
I like Tim Burton's movies, simply because they're so fun. Plus, the small children in my family are a lot less likely to shy away from me if they can associate my wardrobe and/or room decorations with "Corpse Bride" or something like that.  
PostPosted: Sat May 24, 2008 6:45 pm
Strangely enough, a lot of the people I've talked to only look at the face of the movies he makes/remakes, when actually, that is more of the secondary focus-point, because, really, every single one of the movies he does has a much deeper meaning, whether he created it, or it was passed down with the prior movie (in the case of a remake). For example, look at the following three movies;

Sweeney Todd: The Demon Barber of Fleet Street
You probably know the plot; a barber in love, another man is jealous, he gets falsely accused. He comes back, finds out his wife's "fate" and his daughter was taken. He starts moving for revenge, building a reputation while giving another business benefit to his neighbor down-stairs. He's consumed by the revenge, and in the end, irony comes back to bite him (and his partner) in the a**. The moral I see in this; I see a few, actually. One, love triangles can be murder; the old Jewish proverb (the way I remember hearing it), "If you're looking for revenge, buy a coffin for two."

Beetlejuice
A seemingly favourable married couple getting ready for two-week vacation away from other people (in their own house, no doubt), ends up getting killed in a car accident, trying to dodge a dog (a nice reward for their efforts, eh?). Their house gets sold to a family of three, and thus the antics begin to get them out. They call upon a kind of "poltergeist-for-hire" to help them, and eventually, he gets out, and so on and so forth. In the end, they get rid of him and they change their minds, living there together, in peace (sort of...). Tim Burton actually said in the "Production Notes" in the "Behind the Scenes" sub-category in the DVD, directly quoted;

"When Adam and Barbara die, things only change marginally for them. After death, they simply have to deal with more extreme versions of what they would encounter in real life."
Which gets summed up in his next sentence:
"The movie's view is that when you die, your problems aren't taken care of."
His production designer for the movie then goes on to say;
"For the afterlife we wanted something vague and evasive enough to defy categorizing and invite disorientation, yet specific enough to invoke the fear that the afterlife might not be much different than real life."
And in his next part, the most out-standing thing he says is this;
"...The most mundane aspects of human existence follow us into the afterlife."

The Nightmare Before Christmas
This one I'm sure everyone's seen. The people of Hallowe'en Town see Jack doing the routines year after year. They seemingly can't get enough, but Jack is tired of the same old thing. He constantly does this, year after year, and it is so mundane that he's lost his appreciation for it. He feels that is a dead situation to him. During his walk, he accidentally finds Christmas Town, something he's never seen or even began to comprehend. He's completely blown away by this, and thinks he can take it back to Hallowe'en Town. All they seem to know is fear and chaos, and yet, he tries to show them something else; peace and serenity. They don't understand; they CAN'T understand! Eventually, he gets so wrapped up in it all that he starts to change his views of it all to their view, thinking he can improve it by making the world experience a Christmas from a different point of view, something they only want to experience once a year, and to a lesser extent. The only one who can understand this is Sally, who doesn't support the madness he then starts to create and gets surrounded in it. She tries to get him out of it, but it doesn't work, as he's too far gone in the ideal. Eventually, when it's nearly too late, he has a sort of epiphany. He realizes his wrongs and rushes to correct them by giving the world what they want, while giving him the crucial inspiration that he requires to find the 'same old thing' inspiring. It ends on a happier note, and it takes the help of something so mundane and taken for granted to help them realize what Jack saw, but not on the exact level, but it is a start.
The moral seems to be something like this; don't think you can do a better job than the people who have the experience. But even stronger than this is this; you never know how much you have until you've taken it for granted.

Heh... two hours to bring myself to this point. Any adding to the content is welcomed. I'd love to hear everyone's opinions on this.

The Canady Man

AEtherclaw

PostPosted: Sat May 24, 2008 7:49 pm
i'm not entirely sure but i'm getting the feeling he may of been involved in the original goth movement and is just trying to defend himself from some of these accusations.  
~ Main Forum ~

Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff