Welcome to Gaia! ::

Gaian Grammar Guild

Back to Guilds

The Gaian Grammar Guild is a refuge for the literate, a place for them to post and read posts without worrying about the nonsensical ones. 

Tags: grammar, literate, english, language 

Reply Gaian Grammar Guild
When the dictionary becomes your enemy...

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Worth your time?
  Definitely.
  Seriously?
View Results

SixteenthNote

PostPosted: Sun Apr 27, 2008 4:45 am
Well, I've been wanting to do this for a while. Basically because I'm hoping to expand my vocabulary (and the other people who take their time to read this, of course). When I read books, there's bound to be a whole bunch of words that I've never come across before. And even if I did, I'll just leave it and move on. Sometimes, very rarely, I'll write it down with the number of the page and check the dictionary. The problem is, when I want to use those words, I hesitate because I don't know if it's right. And we all know what happens when someone uses words wrongly.

Example(s):
The man came out pregnant. (A student's paper on a fireman who saved a child.)
One of the meanings of pregnant is 'bearing a child'. I suppose the student thought that it fit and she/he didn't have to write, "with the child in his arms...".

So to avoid such mistakes, let us help each other out. Please use any of the words correctly in a sentence, if you know how to use them. An explanation would be a bonus and appreciated. Some words have more than one meaning. So please state which one you’re referring to.

List:
* Conceded (concede)
- admit that something is true, logical
- to give something away, especially unwillingly
- admit that you have lost a game, an election, etc.

*Remnants (remnant)
- a part of something that is left after the other parts have used, removed, destroyed, etc.
- a small piece of cloth that is left when the rest has been sold

*Obsolete
- no longer used because something new has been invented

*Quavering (quaver)
Verb
-if someone's voice quavers, it is unsteady, usually because the person is nervous or afraid.

Noun
- a shaking sound in someone's voice

*Reconnaissance
- the activity of getting information about an area for military purposes, using soldiers, planes, etc.

Also, suggestions on how to improve this thread are welcomed because I hope to keep it going for some time.  
PostPosted: Sun Apr 27, 2008 4:46 am
For future use...  

SixteenthNote

SixteenthNote

PostPosted: Sun Apr 27, 2008 4:48 am
For future use...  
PostPosted: Thu May 08, 2008 2:23 pm
I am assuming you are referring to the words you listed, so I will use those in a sentence.

'Her head bowed before she conceded the point.'

- I am not sure how to explain that. The 'she' is simply someone who admits they are wrong about something.

'The castle's remnants could be seen atop the hill from the street below.'

- The castle is in ruin, obviously. Maybe bits of it have been destroyed in battle, but I assume most of it weathered away as time went on.

'The use of the record player has become obsolete since the invention of the tape player, followed by the CD player, and finally the MP3 player.'

- I dont know if Ive ever used obsolete correctly. I know its used correctly there, but yeah.

'Kevin's voice quavered noticeably as he professed his feelings for her.'

- When you talk to someone you like, or tell them you like them, you're no doubt going to be nervous. Your voice would shake a lot. Ergo the quaver.

'Lila stood, concealed by the wall, doing a little bit of reconnaissance for her friend.'

- She is, in essence, spying. Reconnaissance is sometimes considered spying. So yeah.  

Tric A Smile

Kuo51

PostPosted: Sun Jun 01, 2008 8:55 pm
- Sen. Hillary Clinton conceded to Barack Obama in the Democratic primaries. (AS IF! )

- There should not be any remnants left over from my new LEGO set.

- Cell phones quickly become obsolete because new models are released so often.

- Cheryl said she needed talk to me. Her quavering tone told me that she was nervous. eek

- Sir, the reconnaissance unit reports activity in sector J-17!

That was a bit fun. biggrin It was almost like English class in Middle School.  
Gaian Grammar Guild

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games