Reply Super Smash Bros. Guild
Is there such a thing as playing cheaply? Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Lahlooooouh

PostPosted: Sun Apr 27, 2008 7:05 pm
My friend decided that there isn't however I would have to disagree with him.

To show him this my friends and I played a four player match, in which 3 of the four players ganged up on him just to make the amount of players in the battle less.

It annoyed him, but he concluded that cheap did exist.

Some of you guys might argue that that was just being tactical.

What do you guys think?
Can someone be cheap?  
PostPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2008 11:11 am
I wouldn't call it cheap, as more of being a bunch of douche bags.

Cheap would be........................ doing the same move over and over. Or Spawn camping. Or dropping your internet so you can move around and your opponents can't. Etc.  

Einherjar O D I N
Crew

A Pharmaceutical Bandit

PostPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2008 12:33 pm
I'm on the side that says things like "no johns," and "play to win."
If you notice your opponent does something "cheap" consistently, take note of that and punish him. I mean, that's what makes us different than computers. We can adapt.

But I can agree that certain FFA situations are different (secret alliances and whatnot, as you described). I don't know if "cheap" is the right word for it, but yeah, it is a bit unfair. Eh, FFAs are beat anyway xp  
PostPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2008 3:40 pm
No one plays cheap.
It's just scrub nature.  

Tremere Lich

Einherjar O D I N
Crew

PostPosted: Tue Apr 29, 2008 11:48 am
Melomaniacal
If you notice your opponent does something "cheap" consistently, take note of that and punish him. I mean, that's what makes us different than computers. We can adapt.

But I can agree that certain FFA situations are different (secret alliances and whatnot, as you described). I don't know if "cheap" is the right word for it, but yeah, it is a bit unfair. Eh, FFAs are beat anyway xp

I agree. 3nodding In fact, "No Johns" is part of my daily vocabulary.  
PostPosted: Fri May 02, 2008 4:37 pm
SilentBlackTiger
Melomaniacal

I have never heard "No Johns", what does it mean? Or like what context would someone use it?  

Lahlooooouh

Einherjar O D I N
Crew

PostPosted: Fri May 02, 2008 9:49 pm
Lahlooooouh
SilentBlackTiger
Melomaniacal

I have never heard "No Johns", what does it mean? Or like what context would someone use it?

Johns: To make excuses. Ex: I'm not playing well because I was out drinking last night. I'm not doing well because this isn't my controller.  
PostPosted: Sat May 03, 2008 9:44 pm
SilentBlackTiger
Lahlooooouh
SilentBlackTiger
Melomaniacal

Johns: To make excuses. Ex: I'm not playing well because I was out drinking last night. I'm not doing well because this isn't my controller.
I use the controller excuse. My friend has horrible controllers, he let's me use the ones with food residue jamming the X and Y buttons, and a horrible thumb stick that was half bitten off. I think that's an exception to No Johns.  

Hoboerik

A Pharmaceutical Bandit

PostPosted: Sun May 04, 2008 10:09 am
Erik of the PWG
SilentBlackTiger
Lahlooooouh
SilentBlackTiger
Melomaniacal

I use the controller excuse. My friend has horrible controllers, he let's me use the ones with food residue jamming the X and Y buttons, and a horrible thumb stick that was half bitten off. I think that's an exception to No Johns.

Solution: Bring your own controller.
No Johns.  
PostPosted: Sun May 04, 2008 1:59 pm
Melomaniacal
Erik of the PWG
SilentBlackTiger
Lahlooooouh
SilentBlackTiger
Melomaniacal

No Johns.

pwned. xd j/k  

Einherjar O D I N
Crew

Hoboerik

PostPosted: Sun May 04, 2008 6:21 pm
Melomaniacal
Erik of the PWG
SilentBlackTiger
Lahlooooouh
SilentBlackTiger
Melomaniacal

No Johns.
I asked, he said he had good ones. But I brong my own from now on.  
PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2008 10:39 am
I played with this guy once. He would Falco and hold down A. This was annoying but it eventually, it knocks you out. What really gets on my nerves is when he gets the fan and holds A. AARGH!!  

stickyfeet

BeezyBalla

PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2008 12:22 pm
I think the only way of being cheap is using the same projectile/projectile combo over and over again from afar (or turtling). This can be avoidable, but it's still considered cheap.

Characters that can be cheap if used in the manner are Pit (SSBB), Link (SSBB, SSB if no combos are succeded), Toon Link (SSBB), Falco (SSBM,SSBB), Fox (SSB), Mario (all games), Luigi (all games, but less efficient), R.O.B. (SSBB), Wolf (SSBB), and others I might not think of ...

Game Legend:

SSBB = Super Smash Bros. Brawl
SSBM = Super Smash Bros. Melee
SSB = Super Smash Bros. (For Nintendo 64)
All games = Cheap in all games.  
PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2008 12:46 pm
King_Ace D
I think the only way of being cheap is using the same projectile/projectile combo over and over again from afar (or turtling). This can be avoidable, but it's still considered cheap.

Characters that can be cheap if used in the manner are Pit (SSBB), Link (SSBB, SSB if no combos are succeded), Toon Link (SSBB), Falco (SSBM,SSBB), Fox (SSB), Mario (all games), Luigi (all games, but less efficient), R.O.B. (SSBB), Wolf (SSBB), and others I might not think of ...

Game Legend:

I think we all know the Smash Bros abbreviations xp

But I wouldn't say Mario, Fox, Link, or Luigi can turtle well. All of their projectiles are easily avoidable, or not spamable. As for Fox, his projectiles have no knock-back, so it really doesn't prevent you from approaching at all.  

A Pharmaceutical Bandit

BeezyBalla

PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2008 1:02 pm
A Pharmaceutical Bandit
King_Ace D

Game Legend:

I think we all know the Smash Bros abbreviations xp

But I wouldn't say Mario, Fox, Link, or Luigi can turtle well. All of their projectiles are easily avoidable, or not spamable. As for Fox, his projectiles have no knock-back, so it really doesn't prevent you from approaching at all.

My abbreviations were to casual players/noobs xp

Mario and Luigi are inefficient turtlers, but Link (SSBB) and Fox (SSB, not the other ones) can turtle quite cheaply. Link's turtle move is boomerang immediately followed by a arrow which can be difficult to handle. Fox's gun in smash bros 64 can knock you back.  
Super Smash Bros. Guild

Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff