I was recently reading Mary Renault's historical-fiction account of Theseus and his return to become the king of Athens, and I came upon an interesting passage. Note that Mary Renault has an amazing knack for capturing the spirit of the worship of the old gods, and the respect for the sacred. She captures the sheer weight of belief in fate and the presence of the gods in everyday life. She's clearly studied the minoan and mycenaen traditions of goddess worship, from what remains of them, and I've noted quite a few references to D*a, the goddess. You can understand my interest when I came upon a passage that reminded me of a wiccan principle I'd read, and it is also vaguely reminiscent of the story in which Odin is taught the knowledge of magic by Freya. I know that this passage must be meaningful, but I'm afraid I don't understand it completely, or more accurately, I would double-check my understanding of it's many facets.

Theseus' mother is bidding him to sacrifice to the goddess, who is essentially similiar to Cybele, (though they use the pre-mycenaen word for the goddess, which carried a taboo similiar to that of the abrahamic god's name, and which I render here as 'D*a.')

I said "Then what must I offer Her?" (Capitalized "Her")
"Her altar is within her children. She takes Her due."
"Poseidon is my birth-god," I said; "Apollo made me a man, and Zeus a king. There is not much woman in me."
She answered, "Apollo, who understands all mysteries, says also, 'Not much is in me.' Yet he is knowledge, Theseus, and She is what he knows."

Please feel free to share any theories.