View Results

cmdood

Dedicated Lunatic

9,750 Points
  • Signature Look 250
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Full closet 200
PostPosted: Mon May 05, 2008 2:59 pm
This was a while ago but i hadn't had time until now to post this. a while ago my brother and I went to a ssbm tournament and we thought it would be cool. i could not have been more wrong. The entire thing was bullcrap. First of all, you couldn't use secret charecters, which wasn't that big of a deal considering me and my brother used unlocked charecters anyway (Fox and Link). Secondly, YOU COULD USE ITEMS!!! please tell me other tournaments aren't like this. And thirdly (and this is the worst part) YOU COULD BRIBE THE JUDGES TO STAY IN!!!!!!! $5. this tournament annoyed the hell outta me. this one guy even put me against my brother during my first round!!! it was such bull crap i wish we had just stayed at best buy and played the ssbb demo instead of going to the tournament  
PostPosted: Mon May 05, 2008 6:31 pm
stare

Sounds lametastic.

Next time, get an idea of the rules before you go. At least you know now.  

Einherjar O D I N
Crew

Mokie7

PostPosted: Tue May 06, 2008 11:26 am
cmdood
Secondly, YOU COULD USE ITEMS!!!
And?
What's wrong with this?  
PostPosted: Tue May 06, 2008 12:10 pm
Mokie7
cmdood
And?
What's wrong with this?

Items are not tournament legal, you know that. You disagree with it, but it's still true xp
Not trying to start another argument, we're done with that sweatdrop  

A Pharmaceutical Bandit

Einherjar O D I N
Crew

PostPosted: Tue May 06, 2008 8:35 pm
Melomaniacal
Mokie7
cmdood
And?
What's wrong with this?

Items are not tournament legal, you know that. You disagree with it, but it's still true xp

Seconded. Items haven't been tourney legal (at least at none of the ones I've been to or heard of).  
PostPosted: Thu May 08, 2008 7:35 pm
Melomaniacal
Mokie7
cmdood
And?
What's wrong with this?

Well then, what constitutes "tournament legal" if the so-called tournament illegal rules were, in fact, in a tournament?

It just seems like a subjective argument, if you ask me.  

Mokie7

A Pharmaceutical Bandit

PostPosted: Fri May 09, 2008 12:16 pm
Mokie7
Melomaniacal
Mokie7
cmdood
And?
What's wrong with this?

Well then, what constitutes "tournament legal" if the so-called tournament illegal rules were, in fact, in a tournament?

All the reasons I gave you in our argument are why items are banned in tournaments (in a nut shell, to eliminate randomness/luck factor). They may not be banned in private, casual tournaments, but items are banned in all professional/semi-professional tournaments.  
PostPosted: Fri May 09, 2008 5:51 pm
Melomaniacal
Mokie7
Melomaniacal
Mokie7
cmdood
And?
What's wrong with this?

All the reasons I gave you in our argument are why items are banned in tournaments (in a nut shell, to eliminate randomness/luck factor). They may not be banned in private, casual tournaments, but items are banned in all professional/semi-professional tournaments.

Again, what he said.  

Einherjar O D I N
Crew

Deathmask97

PostPosted: Sun May 25, 2008 4:30 pm
Items are usually removed if you want a fair fight.
With Melee I always had to remove items or else I would whip my friends too easily.
Plus, with Brawl, the items are more random than ever, and a single item can change the battle completely.
Just look at what happens when somebody breaks a smash ball or gets a star!  
PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2008 12:42 pm
At the Melee tournament I went to a couple years ago, we only had the primary characters, too. sweatdrop I didn't mind. I was Ice Climbers.  

scooterdude34

Psychicmind

5,050 Points
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Elocutionist 200
  • Entrepreneur 150
PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2008 6:59 pm
Items sometimes are used in tournaments. They aren't illegal, it's just that "no items" is a standard rule. Final Destination is standard, but a lot of tournaments use other stages such as Battlefield and Fountain of Dreams. You must remember that standard != only rules allowed. I believe there was an East vs. West debate about items. Smashwiki may have more details.

Bribing, however, is stupid. This and the use of only starting characters is worse than a school tournament.  
PostPosted: Fri Jun 20, 2008 3:32 pm
Psychicmind
Items sometimes are used in tournaments. They aren't illegal, it's just that "no items" is a standard rule. Final Destination is standard, but a lot of tournaments use other stages such as Battlefield and Fountain of Dreams. You must remember that standard != only rules allowed. I believe there was an East vs. West debate about items. Smashwiki may have more details.

Bribing, however, is stupid. This and the use of only starting characters is worse than a school tournament.

No REAL tournament I've ever been to had items.  

Einherjar O D I N
Crew

Psychicmind

5,050 Points
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Elocutionist 200
  • Entrepreneur 150
PostPosted: Sat Jun 28, 2008 5:52 pm
SilentBlackTiger
Psychicmind

No REAL tournament I've ever been to had items.

Smash Wiki
In Smashboards' nascent years, items were a major point of contention amongst Smashers - generally, East Coast Smashers wanted them turned off in tournaments and West Coast Smashers wanted them turned on. Item proponents stated that the use of items itself required skills and did not reduce the depth of the game; item opponents emphasized the often unfair randomness to item appearances, especially explosives like Bob-ombs and capsules. Eventually, the community reached a consensus that items should be turned off in tournaments due to the element of randomness.
http://super-smash-bros.wikia.com/wiki/Tournament_legal_(SSBM)

When you say real, do you mean official? Yes, official tournaments won't have items. But a random tournament could.

If you are only saying "real tournament" as in "the only tournaments worth going to," then you are just being opinionated.

By the way, "every tournament I've been to" != "every tournament ever"  
Super Smash Bros. Guild

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff