Reply Sacred Sources -The Outer Forum -
Lord's place to rant and be at peace

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Lord MacNaughten

PostPosted: Tue May 06, 2008 8:05 pm
Firstly, I'd like to take the time to say that the remodel of the guild main page looks great! That's not to say it didn't before! Secondly, I would like to apologize for not being as active as I'd like to be. I'll be making this my penance for time missed, of that I can try. I've also been trying to make an interest guild based on Vampires, but it's going sort of slow. I sort of expect that for a newer guild. This is not the place for advertising! At any rate, have any of you ladies and gentleman here ever met any animists? A good friend of mine, a Native American, (Lacota Tribe) is an animist. Any one know about it?  
PostPosted: Tue May 06, 2008 10:51 pm
Yes. I know a Japanese fellow who's Shinto. Shinto teaches that everything posesses a spirit; the rivers, the mountains, the wind, etc. Even so, it has some very recognizeable "main" spirits, such as Amaterasu (Sun) and Susanoo (Storm). All in all, I believe just about any form of animism is reconciliable or somewhat relatable to the idealogy of a neo-pagan. Some neo-pagans eventually become animists, from what I've heard. A high ranking Shinto priest actually sent a letter to a neo-pagan movement in England (I can't recall which) and wished them luck in reviving their people's worship of the Kami (Spirits and/or gods)  

Nomad of Nowhere

Lord MacNaughten

PostPosted: Wed May 07, 2008 2:16 pm
That's pretty much what he said, (my Native American friend, in regards to his Chief) about his religion. He believes all things have a spirit, and are thusly worthy of some sort of homage. He does have on "main" deity, but I forget what he calls him. I'll look into it. Thank you, very informative.  
PostPosted: Sun May 18, 2008 6:51 am
Could it be said that animism is an intrinsic quality to most paths of Neopaganism? That's what I've found at least. Adler's mainstay definition of Neopaganism describes it as being 'polytheistic, pantheistic, and animistic' in nature. Some will focus more on certain aspects than others though.  

Starlock
Crew

Nomad of Nowhere

PostPosted: Mon May 26, 2008 1:36 pm
I suppose you could say that's true, but in many polytheistic traditions, doesn't the local spirit generally take the backseat?  
PostPosted: Wed May 28, 2008 11:21 am
That is what I've come to notice. Many pagans feel strongly tied to a trinity, or a four-tier deity structure. Most might believe all living things have a soul, but I have yet to meet those that do that still revere an all powerful deity.  

Lord MacNaughten

Starlock
Crew

PostPosted: Wed May 28, 2008 4:59 pm
The place of local spirits/deities depends on the specific practice you're talking. Animism is almost intrinsically polytheistic as if there is spirit in multiple things, you're talking multiple objects which could be regarded as sacred/divine. Then again, I often don't make a huge distinction between that which is spirit and that which is divine form my own view of things as I hold to the tenant 'the divine is within all things.' I think there's certain systems, particularly on the reconstructionist end that put a stronger focus on an established pantheon than relating to the divine/spirits as they are manifest in their own backyard.

I'm curious what you mean by this three or four deity structure, Lord Mac. I believe I know what you're talking about but I'm curious for some clarification.  
Sacred Sources -The Outer Forum -

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games