Welcome to Gaia! ::

The Gamers Promised Land, Gaia's Best Gaming and Pop Culture

Back to Guilds

Gaia's best guild for discussions and contests about Video Games, Pop Culture, general geek stuff, and any kind of discussion! 

Tags: Video Games, Pop culture, chatting, Internet, tournaments 

Reply Archives
Game Phases

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Tyhoon

PostPosted: Sat May 10, 2008 10:44 pm
Nit and I kinda-sorta-not really discussed this earlier, and this conclusion was the result:

Turn Shift Phase
Preparation Phase
Combat Phase
End Phase

As you can see, it kinda looks like pokemon TCG. While this sounds great, I was wondering if there was a way to balance out things a little; generally, starting first in a card game is a major advantage, in that it allows one extra turn to build resources, plan attacks, power creatures, and so forth. While in most games this is compensated by the oft better card advantage, that won't really play into effect, as you can play cards directly from your deck in this game.

...what I propose may sound a little weird, and I'm sure that testing is going to need to be done, but I was thinking that there could be a turn zero, in which both sides play their first turn while excluding the combat phase.  
PostPosted: Sat May 10, 2008 11:52 pm
Well, obviously if you go first you can't attack on that turn. In this sort of game, going second isn't quite as bad since you can counter what your enemy does. (assuming your deck is good.)  

nitnit
Captain

darkslasherX
Crew

PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2008 8:42 am
nitnit
Well, obviously if you go first you can't attack on that turn. In this sort of game, going second isn't quite as bad since you can counter what your enemy does. (assuming your deck is good.)

Assuming you key into the strategy your opponent is pulling, going second can actually be a huge advantage, since you can attempt to destroy your opponent's strategy while building up your own. In other words, everything (relating to strategy) changes when you have your entire deck in your hand.

If going first somehow still proves to be advantageous, though, we can make it so the first player only gets half income on the first turn.  
PostPosted: Tue May 13, 2008 2:56 pm
If first player can't attack his first turn then I don't really see how it give an advantage to the first player. If anything second player has an advantage, so whoever wins the predesignated coin flip or whatever will decide who goes first/second I suppose.  

nitnit
Captain

Archives

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces