Welcome to Gaia! ::

The Gamers Promised Land, Gaia's Best Gaming and Pop Culture

Back to Guilds

Gaia's best guild for discussions and contests about Video Games, Pop Culture, general geek stuff, and any kind of discussion! 

Tags: Video Games, Pop culture, chatting, Internet, tournaments 

Reply Archives
The New Promised Land Times - Issue 2 -With brawl match ups! Goto Page: 1 2 3 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

nitnit
Captain

PostPosted: Sun May 11, 2008 5:23 pm
The New Promised Land Times

Issue 2 - Insanely empty.  
PostPosted: Sun May 11, 2008 5:33 pm
The First ever Official Gamers' Promised Land Brawl Tournament Match Ups!

ROUND 1!

In the Autobots Bracket:

Chaotix Bluix vs. Michael RD

Mesa the Wanderer vs. Darkslasher X

CoredundamPilot vs. Pachulo

JONNNN vs. PhoenixBlade983

In the Decepticon Bracket:

Darkslasher X vs. Kunx990 the Mighty

nitnit vs. mazeyelle

Pay Per Cuts vs. Frostfire Dragon

iSephi vs. Fieryblaze000  

nitnit
Captain

nitnit
Captain

PostPosted: Sun May 11, 2008 5:34 pm
By DigitalKnight:

User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.

PostPosted: Sun May 11, 2008 5:35 pm
User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.

The Stars My Destination
Alfred Bester

I’m not sure how many of you are familiar with the world of science fiction, but this is thought by many to be the greatest single SciFi novel ever to be written. Published in 1956, this novel, like most of the day, was completely ahead of it’s time in terms of ideas, prose, and even character development.
The novel focuses around Gully Foyle, a brawn of a man marooned in space. He is the last surviving crewman of the Nomad, which was seemingly shot down in the midst of an interplanetary war. At this point in the novel we meet a single minded man, who only has the intelligence to repeat a nursery rhyme:

Gully Foyle is my name
And Terra is my nation.
Deep space is my dwelling place,
Deaths my destination.

Aboard the ship he completely content with the simple task of surviving, but when a ship passes him by Foyle becomes enraged and bent on revenge to punish the ship itself, and those who man it.
Of any character I’ve ever read about, Foyle has to be my favorite. To put it simply he is a bad-a**, an immoral anti-hero hell-bent on revenge and the destruction of the establishment. He is a man driven by an idiot's determination and an animalistic urge which he never rids himself from. He is the definition of tenacious, he spits in the face of the absurd society in which he lives and laughs while walking away. He the betrayer, the animal, the rapist, and the murderer of the story, but yet he is still the protagonist.

-HE IS BATMAN!-

But seriously, this novel is everything that science fiction is today, but in one singular (and fresh) story. Want interplanetary warfare, matrix-esque slow motion fighting, androids, radioactive guards, telekinesis, teleportation, augmentation of the brain? Well it’s all in this novel and presented in a way I have yet to read.

This book deserves a 10/10 on any scale. I urge you all, science fiction lovers or not, to go out and read this book. It is Bester’s and maybe even the genre’s best work.

-Jon  

nitnit
Captain

nitnit
Captain

PostPosted: Sun May 11, 2008 5:37 pm
Chaotix Bluix's Reviews:
So this time I'm doing a couple of game reviews, EXCEPT I'm doing it on some of the games you might not heard of (or don't hear nearly enough about). You know... the Sega old-school games. 3nodding

Toejam and Earl: (1 or 2 players)
User Image
Basically, the point of this game is to help two aliens, who've managed to crash on a crazy planet known as Earth, find the 10 pieces of their spaceship while fighting off the crazy inhabitants of Earth using a wide variety of unique, yet equally crazy power-ups and finally escape h back to the aliens homeworld, Funkotron.

So why play this game?
As a seemingly simple to comprehend, adventure to collect things game, the game plays exceptionally well and doesn't get boring after the the first 20 minutes of play, and has a great replay value as it has both a fixed world setting (for those new to the game that want something a little familiar), and a random world setting (presents, enemies, and even the levels are all randomly generated).
Some of the really great things about this game is they've packed humor into almost every area of the game, the game has a 2 player Co-op giving you a extra helping hand or the chance to explore more ground quickly.

Now in comparison to some of todays games, the graphics are not what you would call the best things out there and the catchy music definitely has a sense of funkiness, but it doesn't have a wide selection which to keep it from getting stale after a good long period of time.

All in all, I think this game scores a good 8.5/10.

Gunstar Heros: (1 or 2 players)
A quick-paced, side scrolling, action-packed shooter where you as one of two heros have battle against a evil force trying to resurrect a evil android god by using 4 gems. You job? Gather the gems, stop the bad guys, and save the world from destruction.

Basically, this game is loaded with action. TONS of it. From explosions, to the massive number of enemies, streams of bullets, and chaos as you navigate through each of the wonderfully done levels (in both graphics for it's time and in the level design), before facing off with no less than epic boss fights. While there's 4 basic weapon types in the game, you get 2 slots which when used together allows up to 16 different weapon combinations which to mow down enemies and bosses alike.
The two player co-op plays exceptionally well for a game like this, as it makes avoiding being overrun while moving through the fast paced stages much easier, and yet much more challenging and interesting at the same time.
My only problem is the the hp recovery while at set locations, are normally few and far between, but that only adds to the game's core gameplay.

The game plays very well, the music sounds both great and unique, both the graphics and animation look smooth and excellent, and also is a game that makes having a challenge fun. For these things, I give this classic gem a 9.5/10

(I don't have any good screenshots for this game, so please bear with me as I try to find something.)

BTW: if you have any quarrel with the scores that I gave these games, you more than welcome to write a counter review in the next newspaper.  
PostPosted: Sun May 11, 2008 6:45 pm
Please try to actually submit stuff for next weeks... I've asked for at least 2 articles a month, so leaves me, tyhoon, and pachulo as having not made any, jon and knight with both of theirs done, and everyone else with one. (might have missed something there)  

nitnit
Captain

Mazeyelle

PostPosted: Sun May 11, 2008 7:20 pm
well, here's my article *in insanely short amount of time*

first off, i'm gonna show some of my art. two again like last time 3nodding
User Image
this is one of my OC's for the sonic series, Melanie.
User Image
and here's another one of my okekai works in our friendly neighborhoods chat group 3nodding

and, once again, i'm gonna feature one of our amazing artists! this week's featured artist is ~InfinityTrust~! here's some of her fun work User Image
http://www.gaiaonline.com/guilds/viewtopic.php?t=10081489
the chibiness is so cute X3 and the fanfic is good, but it'd be nice if there was more =3

/end newspaper

0_o

i am soo dead.

like, really, REALLY dead.

WHY HAVE I BEEN FORSAKEN!!!!!! WHYYYYYY!!!!!!!!!!

PostPosted: Sun May 11, 2008 7:23 pm
It was going to happen sooner or later. Only deathguiser had a real chance of stopping me and he chickened out (or maybe coregundampilot) Ok, jon as well. And mesa.

Still, it was bound to happen.  

nitnit
Captain

Mazeyelle

PostPosted: Sun May 11, 2008 7:32 pm
nitnit
It was going to happen sooner or later. Only deathguiser had a real chance of stopping me and he chickened out (or maybe coregundampilot) Ok, jon as well. And mesa.

*commits suicide*

oh, and if you're ready in a bit, we can brawl now =3 my bro's doing his match right now though.  
PostPosted: Sun May 11, 2008 7:40 pm
Sure, I'll go in the chatbox so you can let me know when you're ready  

nitnit
Captain

Mazeyelle

PostPosted: Sun May 11, 2008 7:46 pm
nitnit
Sure, I'll go in the chatbox so you can let me know when you're ready

kay =3  
PostPosted: Sun May 11, 2008 7:56 pm
dat me in that boat pic?.....I changed my hair style but w/e its still nice  

Digital Knight07

Aekea Hero

9,625 Points
  • Hero 100
  • Battle: Counterstrike 150
  • Brandisher 100

Deathguiser

PostPosted: Sun May 11, 2008 10:11 pm
nitnit

Stopping you at what?  
PostPosted: Sun May 11, 2008 10:35 pm
Winning obviously. I meant that if mazeyelle were to win her matches against other people we would have met up anyways.  

nitnit
Captain

Archives

Goto Page: 1 2 3 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas