Welcome to Gaia! ::

The Gamers Promised Land, Gaia's Best Gaming and Pop Culture

Back to Guilds

Gaia's best guild for discussions and contests about Video Games, Pop Culture, general geek stuff, and any kind of discussion! 

Tags: Video Games, Pop culture, chatting, Internet, tournaments 

Reply Super Smash Bros. Discussion and Battling
Metaknight and Snake destined for top tier? Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

nitnit
Captain

PostPosted: Wed May 14, 2008 6:36 pm
This seems to be the current consensus, with perhaps only Game and Watch with a solid chance of also entering.

So, are we jumping the gun in these lists? The game's only been out for about 2 months now, or is this game so shallow in technical skill needed, and so over analyzed from the fanbase melee established that it's almost set in stone?

Wavedashing may have taken 2 years to be found, but melee didn't initially have as many people searching every crevice of it like brawl does.  
PostPosted: Wed May 14, 2008 10:31 pm
...That seems about right actually, as both have definite field control and are incredibly hard to KO. Game and Watch is really close, but not quite up there; don't get me wrong, he has a definite advantage against most characters, but can't get total control against everyone the way that Snake and Meta Knight can.

I'm kinda suprised Lucas isn't a candidate. With an extended grab range, decent reach with smash attacks, Ike-like power, and an incredible strategy for spacing, it seems like his only real flaw is his so-so recovery.  

Mirri the Sneak

Noble Noob

2,350 Points
  • Noble Shade 100
  • Brandisher 100
  • Full closet 200

Psychoace

PostPosted: Thu May 15, 2008 2:59 am
Mirri the Sneak
...That seems about right actually, as both have definite field control and are incredibly hard to KO. Game and Watch is really close, but not quite up there; don't get me wrong, he has a definite advantage against most characters, but can't get total control against everyone the way that Snake and Meta Knight can.

I'm kinda suprised Lucas isn't a candidate. With an extended grab range, decent reach with smash attacks, Ike-like power, and an incredible strategy for spacing, it seems like his only real flaw is his so-so recovery.

That's because lucas has a friend named marth. From what I here tournament wise fewer people are playing metaknight now. I think its a, I have to figure out this character type situation, more than solid concrete. By which I mean after a while people will start using other characters later on. I still expect Ice climbers to jump quite a bit. And as they call it A tier is still got some movement around as far as placings go.  
PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2008 3:15 pm
Snake only if no Wifi, Lag really screws him up gonk

Metaknight maybe, I never really use him and I almost never play aganist it so I dont know about him.  

Pachulo

dragwarrior

PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2008 11:11 pm
ya snake's moves r bout timing and if it lags that can affect him in battle negatively  
PostPosted: Sat May 17, 2008 8:31 am
How can Ice Climbers jump a lot when they're already most likely high or top tier?  

nitnit
Captain

Jonnnn

PostPosted: Sat May 17, 2008 7:42 pm
Psychoace
Mirri the Sneak

That's because lucas has a friend named marth. From what I here tournament wise fewer people are playing metaknight now. I think its a, I have to figure out this character type situation, more than solid concrete. By which I mean after a while people will start using other characters later on. I still expect Ice climbers to jump quite a bit. And as they call it A tier is still got some movement around as far as placings go.

QFT.

Lucas and Ness have insane lag when getting out of a grab. Most characters can just keep on grabbing you and rack up damage.  
PostPosted: Sat May 17, 2008 9:32 pm
ness and lucas's recovery is only at good for u if u fire it at the right angle  

dragwarrior

sonicfreak1031

PostPosted: Tue May 27, 2008 3:16 pm
who here actually thinks that brawl sucks by the way im not sayin i do i love it but my brother hates it and says its boring  
PostPosted: Tue May 27, 2008 5:22 pm
i for one do not hate it  

dragwarrior

Psychoace

PostPosted: Wed May 28, 2008 1:20 am
I like melee followed by the original then Brawl, but it's still a good game, I just think it still needs time to develop a proper meta-game.  
PostPosted: Wed May 28, 2008 4:02 pm
should those other two knights that follow meta knight be in the newt smash bros game if they made one?  

dragwarrior

Mirri the Sneak

Noble Noob

2,350 Points
  • Noble Shade 100
  • Brandisher 100
  • Full closet 200
PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2008 5:31 pm
sonicfreak1031
who here actually thinks that brawl sucks by the way im not sayin i do i love it but my brother hates it and says its boring
I'm probably going to be shot for this...

SSBB is an incredibly boring game, serving no purpose other than being a fanservice. Melee, on the other hand, picks up right where the original left off and kicks it up ten-fold, making for an addictive and fun fighter that anyone can pick up and play.

As far as my opinion goes:

Melee > SB64 > Brawl

Brawl is a great game if you're a fan of the series, but compared to the others it's a letdown. They're all fun fighters, but while the first two you could simply jump in and play, Brawl takes time to adjust. On top of this, the matches are either really dull or so utterly random to the point that they are almost unwatchable unless you are a participant. I blame the speed slow down and the pulled back camera.  
PostPosted: Fri May 30, 2008 7:39 pm
ya i like melee better cuz anyone can play and can adjust to it quickly  

dragwarrior

darkslasherX
Crew

PostPosted: Mon Jun 09, 2008 4:21 pm
Now that I think about it, it kinda seems like Brawl was designed around single-player with its multi-player mode tacked on, which is backwards from the rest of the series...

Melee is one of those games that definitely encourages competition but, unfortunately for those who do not play games often, requires a great amount of technical skill just to stand a chance of winning. Brawl, on the other hand, can be played and won by just about anyone who has only a few mere hours of experience. Hopefully, somebody will find a crazy glitch in the game that can be utilized by all characters and makes games a lot more spirited....

I have to give Brawl credit for doing a better job of balancing the power of all of the characters, though. There's no character in Brawl that stands out like Melee Fox, or at least not yet. It's a shame that Brawl matches are so slow... not that there's no entertainment value to be derived from them whatsoever, but Melee's crazy-fast feel has a certain charm that's not kept in Brawl.

Whoa, back on topic...
Snake has some crazy glitches to exploit, which make him more than dangerous. Definitely a top-rank character if you can master the timing his skills employ.

Meta Knight is great at forcing people to be where he wants them, and then finishing them off with his powerful aerial attacks. I haven't had much experience with him, but he seems good enough.

I've heard great things about G&W, especially when spamming his bair. Once again, haven't tested, but he seems good.  
Super Smash Bros. Discussion and Battling

Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff