Fantasy...
  is okay
  is my life
  is boring
  waste of time!
View Results

Long~Lost~Dream

PostPosted: Wed May 28, 2008 2:50 pm
First of all I want to say this is the first thing I've posted in this guild. Living Ink invited me and I accepted (obviously) so big thanks to Living Ink for the invite!!! *applause*

Okay so I was just wondering...what do you all think about Fantasy? I like it it's just I need to be able to relate to it. I've also noticed some of the main points of fantasy.

♥ good vs. evil
♥ darkness vs. light

I for one think that stories focus on those things, since it's an aspect of life. It's going on 24/7 every day, every moment, every lifetime. Agree?
I actually saw a topic based on fantasy and it was talking some about that.
Discussion on Fantasy Post

So people! Discuss Fantasy:
likes?
dislikes?
thoughts/opinions?
etc?

btw, like this post?

PostPosted: Wed May 28, 2008 5:09 pm
Absolutely love the post.

Another really huge part of the most fantasy novels is the "Hero's Journey." Often it's a young person who is finding their true calling, but it can be someone of any age, who has to respond to a challenge. That challenge is often what you mention as good vs evil or darkness vs light.  

Living Ink
Crew

Long~Lost~Dream

PostPosted: Wed May 28, 2008 7:35 pm
Living Ink
Absolutely love the post.

Another really huge part of the most fantasy novels is the "Hero's Journey." Often it's a young person who is finding their true calling, but it can be someone of any age, who has to respond to a challenge. That challenge is often what you mention as good vs evil or darkness vs light.

&
Glad you like it.

Oh yes, that is very true! It seems like with all fantasy it has to relate to something somehow. Like our life's journey. Book characters and people on shows all have journeys and tasks and goals. Life would be nothing without a destination! (Mine is heaven, btw)
&  
PostPosted: Sun Jun 01, 2008 8:13 am
I love fantasy. ^w^ Although, instead of the good vs. evil thing, I find I like the restoration of balance. Not only in the world, but in oneself, as well. =3  

Kuroemi

Cluttered Gawker

7,200 Points
  • Window Shopper 100
  • Tycoon 200
  • Generous 100

dark_elven_assassin

PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2008 12:36 am
I heart fantasy of course... yes, the journey is a huge part of the fantasy genre. It can be a way of both getting out what's in you imagination, and your experiences in life. Take for example, Christopher Paolini. His books (Eragon, Eldest, Brisingr (?)) are based on a boy who becomes a dragon-rider. His journey, however, is really more of the story than the actually story, if you take my meaning. Eragon's journey, his struggles, his weaknesses, his strengths, are all based on Paolini's own that he faced growing up, which he DID write the books when he was about 16 (Eragon's age) and only started editing them more recently...
There's my jabber. I tried to make it short...
oh, and thanks for the invite, Living Ink! 3nodding

PostPosted: Tue Jun 03, 2008 3:33 am
Fantasy is awsome, its allway's supriseing people, and its just fun too read! I love (trying to) makeing novels that are allways Fiction/Fantasy. Just theres so many idea's with it that you'll never run out of ideas for a Fiction/Fantasy book. mrgreen  

The FizZleR

Long~Lost~Dream

PostPosted: Wed Jun 04, 2008 2:04 pm
Kuroemi
I love fantasy. ^w^ Although, instead of the good vs. evil thing, I find I like the restoration of balance. Not only in the world, but in oneself, as well. =3

>>[[Hmmm...not sure what you meant. Things do however seem to balance out quite a bit. ]]<<

PostPosted: Wed Jun 04, 2008 2:07 pm
dark_elven_assassin
I heart fantasy of course... yes, the journey is a huge part of the fantasy genre. It can be a way of both getting out what's in you imagination, and your experiences in life. Take for example, Christopher Paolini. His books (Eragon, Eldest, Brisingr (?)) are based on a boy who becomes a dragon-rider. His journey, however, is really more of the story than the actually story, if you take my meaning. Eragon's journey, his struggles, his weaknesses, his strengths, are all based on Paolini's own that he faced growing up, which he DID write the books when he was about 16 (Eragon's age) and only started editing them more recently...
There's my jabber. I tried to make it short...
oh, and thanks for the invite, Living Ink! 3nodding

>>[[ I think EVERYTHING has to have at least SOME reality in it. If it didn't who could,
a)understand what they're reading
b)relate to what they're reading
and c) enjoy it at all?
I love it when Reality & Fantasy are combined. WELL, reality is always in there but I like it when there is a good portion of reality, like when it's BASED on reality. Agree? Disagree?
]]<<

Long~Lost~Dream

Long~Lost~Dream

PostPosted: Wed Jun 04, 2008 2:17 pm
The FizZleR
Fantasy is awsome, its allway's supriseing people, and its just fun too read! I love (trying to) makeing novels that are allways Fiction/Fantasy. Just theres so many idea's with it that you'll never run out of ideas for a Fiction/Fantasy book. mrgreen

>>[[ YES! The surrises are surely what keeps the reader turning the page. If you knew everything that was going to happen in the book, what would be the purpose of reading it?
Good luck with the writing! I myself enjoy writing shorter things than novels but I hope yours turn out well! PM me some of the story if you wish!
]]<<

PostPosted: Wed Jun 04, 2008 9:12 pm
I love fantasy. It allows for every manner of imagination to be expressed and, regardless of the tale, everytime you return to it there is another mystery, another lesson, another twist around the corner. Most books deal with good vs. evil, darkness against light. Yet the ones that really hook me in are the ones were the lines between those 4 things are blurred, where bad guys can come out the winnder and the good guys are all too human.

Fantasy is a story within a story, a maze that you can re-enter only to find it different every time. The underlying themes, however, are simple: There must always be a balance.
Willing or unwilling a person must rise up to meet their fate
Love and courage conquers all
Not everything is what it seems.

unaccounted for

Long~Lost~Dream

PostPosted: Sat Jun 07, 2008 10:08 pm
MaiaRyuu
I love fantasy. It allows for every manner of imagination to be expressed and, regardless of the tale, everytime you return to it there is another mystery, another lesson, another twist around the corner. Most books deal with good vs. evil, darkness against light. Yet the ones that really hook me in are the ones were the lines between those 4 things are blurred, where bad guys can come out the winnder and the good guys are all too human.

Fantasy is a story within a story, a maze that you can re-enter only to find it different every time. The underlying themes, however, are simple: There must always be a balance.
Willing or unwilling a person must rise up to meet their fate
Love and courage conquers all
Not everything is what it seems.

>>[[ Yup, there you go. Once more I say; the twists and surprises are what keep people holding on. Mystery is what makes people wonder and if you can get them to wonder, you've got them entertained. I also love when things are'nt expected. Yet sometimes, I have to disagree with endings. ]]<<

PostPosted: Sun Jun 08, 2008 7:43 am
MaiaRyuu

I agree I like it when is kind of blurred. This might sound weird but I think that if a fantasy book is to "unrealistic" it might spoil the whole thing. I mean not the hero who will give up everything the dumb princess who is just waiting to be rescued and the mad evil man without any compassion. I want authors to put some thought in their writing.  

Eoinda

Long~Lost~Dream

PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2008 5:55 pm
Eoinda
MaiaRyuu

I agree I like it when is kind of blurred. This might sound weird but I think that if a fantasy book is to "unrealistic" it might spoil the whole thing. I mean not the hero who will give up everything the dumb princess who is just waiting to be rescued and the mad evil man without any compassion. I want authors to put some thought in their writing.

>>[[ One word, agree 3nodding ]]<<

PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2008 4:44 pm
hey im new in this guild and i love this post, i absolutely agree that fantasy mostly has something to do with good vs. evil and light vs. darkness. i really like fantasy its a big part of my life.  

k3nflo 194

YasuUchiha

PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2008 4:01 pm
Very new. Still checking everyhting out, but I wanted to post here.
Fantasy, I must say, makes my world go round. I very easily get lost in my books when I've had a crappy day. I write a lot of fantasy as well.
If you like lines being blurred, you'd like "The Phantom of the Opera." The original, by Gaston Leroux. Raoul's a sissy-whiny-baby (No offence, Raoul fans), and Erik - The Phantom - is amazing. A genius, shunned because of his deformities, changed by them. Monsieur Leroux does an amazing job giving character to "poor Erik". You can feel for him, feel pity at his predicament. He may not seem all that human at the beginning, but by the end, he seems so much more real than Raoul.
Check it out sometime - it's not half bad.  
75: Science Fiction & Fantasy: Books, TV, Movies

Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff