Welcome to Gaia! ::

The Gamers Promised Land, Gaia's Best Gaming and Pop Culture

Back to Guilds

Gaia's best guild for discussions and contests about Video Games, Pop Culture, general geek stuff, and any kind of discussion! 

Tags: Video Games, Pop culture, chatting, Internet, tournaments 

Reply Main Forum
Linux users? Goto Page: 1 2 3 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

shinheero

PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2008 11:22 am
any here?  
PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2008 11:27 am
My brother uses it. I don't like it  

Jonnnn

darkslasherX
Crew

PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2008 12:10 pm
I'd use it, but I'm too lazy to install it, for some reason.  
PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2008 1:21 pm
I still don't see the major advantages of linux other than "omg viruses are made for win0ws and mac!1!!one!!!"  

nitnit
Captain

darkslasherX
Crew

PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2008 2:58 pm
nitnit
I still don't see the major advantages of linux other than "omg viruses are made for win0ws and mac!1!!one!!!"
I'm not sure about everybody else, but Windows seems a bit unstable to me. The fact that it costs money doesn't help much, either.
Why do I think it's unstable, you may ask? About a year and a half ago, my computer completely melted down, and I'm still trying to recover files from that. Also, just last weekend, when I was trying to enable my Ethernet port, my computer gave me the good ol' BSOD for no apparent reason. I'm sure other people have similar complaints, as well.  
PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2008 4:51 pm
I agree with nitnit's statement.

I've also had more system wtf ups on macs then with windows. Just don't be an idiot and your PC will be virus free =)  

Pay Per Cuts

nitnit
Captain

PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2008 6:52 pm
Darkslasher - Your computer's problem was most likely a hardware problem. Also, if you buy your computer from most major manufacturers it comes with Windows, so the decision would not have money as a factor (though if you were building one from your own purchased parts I can see your point). Also, unless you've tried performing the same tasks on both operating systems, or used both an equal amount of time and use on the exact same PCs, and only experience problems with Windows your statement doesn't really mean anything about Windows vs. Linux.

mrgreen  
PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2008 7:12 pm
nitnit
Darkslasher - Your computer's problem was most likely a hardware problem. Also, if you buy your computer from most major manufacturers it comes with Windows, so the decision would not have money as a factor (though if you were building one from your own purchased parts I can see your point). Also, unless you've tried performing the same tasks on both operating systems, or used both an equal amount of time and use on the exact same PCs, and only experience problems with Windows your statement doesn't really mean anything about Windows vs. Linux.

mrgreen
Even if Windows comes with the computer, you're still paying for it. It's included in the price of a new system.

You have a point on the rest of that, though. It would make sense to assume that Linux is more stable, considering it is an open source operating system, and that the people making it aren't obsessed with minimizing costs while maximizing profits. Still, assumptions are dangerous business.  

darkslasherX
Crew

nitnit
Captain

PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2008 7:16 pm
So a bunch of guys making an operating system on their spare time > a team of well paid professionals who are some of the best programmers in the world? This is microsoft you know. They may be arguably evil and control the software market, but they have the most resources, and from what I understand their employees are paid well.  
PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2008 9:46 pm
nitnit
So a bunch of guys making an operating system on their spare time > a team of well paid professionals who are some of the best programmers in the world? This is microsoft you know. They may be arguably evil and control the software market, but they have the most resources, and from what I understand their employees are paid well.
There's two sides to that coin.
1. Nobody's rushing you if you don't have any deadlines to meet, so you won't make stupid mistakes that you could take 5 minutes to fix, and if you're writing code for something like that, then you're probably enthusiastic about and at least decent at programming.
2. There's little motivation to work besides the desire to make something.
I think that people working on Fedora Linux get some sort of funding from donations, so there's a little bit of incentive to work there. Still, the guys at Microsoft, besides being good at their work and well-paid, also have the advantage of experience, if I'm not mistaken. Microsoft has been making operating systems for quite a while, after all.  

darkslasherX
Crew

A Euphoric Nightmare

PostPosted: Sat May 31, 2008 7:00 am
I use ubuntu...on a loptop but I'm mostly on my PC sweatdrop .  
PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2008 8:08 pm
I just wanted to know because i recently switched from windows...due to a massive virus attack and the only way i could repair it was by getting a Windows Xp professional CD...which i didnt own...and my other option was to download floppy version of the recovery system found on the cd...

which bring up even more problems becuase:
1)I dont have floppy disk(who uses those still anyways?)
2)I dont even have a floppy drive

by the way the virus was my creation sweatdrop

so anyways Linux from what i heard is far more superior to Windows in every way (if you dont like to play games) and it supplies me with the hacking security auditing tools i couldn't access because i was a windows users....only problem is im having a bit of trouble adjusting to linux lol...
I have to start from square one... crying  

shinheero

darkslasherX
Crew

PostPosted: Tue Jun 03, 2008 1:25 pm
shinheero
I just wanted to know because i recently switched from windows...due to a massive virus attack and the only way i could repair it was by getting a Windows Xp professional CD...which i didnt own...and my other option was to download floppy version of the recovery system found on the cd...

so anyways Linux from what i heard is far more superior to Windows in every way (if you dont like to play games) and it supplies me with the hacking security auditing tools i couldn't access because i was a windows users....only problem is im having a bit of trouble adjusting to linux lol...
Hope you get used to it real soon. Security auditing sounds fun, though... ninja
At least you don't have to worry too much about viruses with Linux.

Maybe someone will make a Windows XP emulator sometime so you can run Windows-only games again... I'd probably laugh if that happened, though...  
PostPosted: Tue Jun 03, 2008 4:29 pm
darkslasherX
shinheero

Hope you get used to it real soon. Security auditing sounds fun, though... ninja

Maybe someone will make a Windows XP emulator sometime so you can run Windows-only games again... I'd probably laugh if that happened, though...
^^ They have that...it's called wine on linux  

shinheero

darkslasherX
Crew

PostPosted: Tue Jun 03, 2008 7:15 pm
shinheero
darkslasherX
shinheero

^^ They have that...it's called wine on linux
Silly Microsoft-heads. Your game are not safe anymore! mrgreen

Excuse my moment of incoherency. I laughed myself mad temporarily. ninja  
Main Forum

Goto Page: 1 2 3 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out