Welcome to Gaia! ::

~ Midnight Moon ~

Back to Guilds

~ for pagans, wiccans and witches ~ 

Tags: wiccan, witchcraft, paganism, wicca, heathenry 

Reply *~Forum~* (general discussion/questions)
"A Witch that Cannot Hex Cannot Heal" - thoughts Goto Page: 1 2 3 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Do you think that a witch who cannot hex cannot heal?
  Yes! You cannot do one without being able to do the other.
  No! Beware the Three-fold Law!!!
  Undecided. I don't have enough experience with either. ((INSUFFICIENT DATA!))
  Huh? (Where the heck is THAT saying from?)
View Results

Korealia

Distinct Seeker

3,350 Points
  • Treasure Hunter 100
  • Full closet 200
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
PostPosted: Thu Jun 05, 2008 6:42 am
What say you?  
PostPosted: Thu Jun 05, 2008 7:49 am
Well, a side effect of a doctor knowing how to save someone is knowing how to kill them. If you know how to heal, it only makes sense that you would know how to do the exact opposite.  

Kawasima

too2sweet
Captain

Tipsy Fairy

PostPosted: Thu Jun 05, 2008 8:47 am
In general healing work I don't find that statement to be true. Even if you specialize in helping others who have been hexed/cursed, etc...I would still say that you don't have to hex others to be able to heal them. I would agree though that if that were your speciality, then you would need to have an understanding and decent knowledge of how they work in order to be able to understand how to reverse or remove one. The key though is that...just because you know how to hex someone, doesn't mean that you have to, or should. Along the lines of what Bushido said - doctors know what will kill someone, but they don't go around doing it (at least not on purpose blaugh ).

I do realize that Witches in general are not held to the Rede or the Threefold Law, those are things that only apply if you consider yourself Wiccan (or if you have chosen to follow those particular principles). Therefore in general witchcraft hexing and the like are not necessarily studies that are avoided. Having said that the few people that I know of that have tried them, didn't have the best results and more often than not regretted even trying.

For the most part if you are on a healing path, it can definitely help to know as much as possible about the ailments you are treating, so that in your spell work you can be as specific as possible about what needs to be "healed".  
PostPosted: Thu Jun 05, 2008 9:49 am
too2sweet
In general healing work I don't find that statement to be true. Even if you specialize in helping others who have been hexed/cursed, etc...I would still say that you don't have to hex others to be able to heal them. I would agree though that if that were your speciality, then you would need to have an understanding and decent knowledge of how they work in order to be able to understand how to reverse or remove one. The key though is that...just because you know how to hex someone, doesn't mean that you have to, or should. Along the lines of what Bushido said - doctors know what will kill someone, but they don't go around doing it (at least not on purpose blaugh ).

I do realize that Witches in general are not held to the Rede or the Threefold Law, those are things that only apply if you consider yourself Wiccan (or if you have chosen to follow those particular principles). Therefore in general witchcraft hexing and the like are not necessarily studies that are avoided. Having said that the few people that I know of that have tried them, didn't have the best results and more often than not regretted even trying.

For the most part if you are on a healing path, it can definitely help to know as much as possible about the ailments you are treating, so that in your spell work you can be as specific as possible about what needs to be "healed".

i agree you should know something of what your dealing with so you can deal with it but you dont have to do it to understand it.  

WitchyBoy

2,100 Points
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
  • Flatterer 200
  • Cart Raider 100

Kawasima

PostPosted: Thu Jun 05, 2008 11:16 am
WitchyBoy
too2sweet

i agree you should know something of what your dealing with so you can deal with it but you dont have to do it to understand it.
Yep. I say if you know how to heal a hex, then you know how to use one. You must know the hexing process in order to undo it.  
PostPosted: Thu Jun 05, 2008 10:31 pm
Hmm...I think a more appropriate term would be something like "One who can heal may also have the ability to hex" but I don't think this would go for everybody, or be a rule of some sort. If you know the full picture than you would understand both sides, and theoretically you would be able to work with both. At the same time, some people are going to naturally be better at healing, and would not curse/hex as efficiently if they wanted to even though they knew the process. There is a difference between understanding how something works and being able to transform yourself into that. Also, there are people with natural healing abilities that they themselves may not understand or be aware of. Because of the lack of knowledge/skill they might not be able to utilize those abilities very well, but it doesn't mean that they're automatically going to be sending out deliberately "harmful" energies (curses) as well as the healing "positive" ones.

I'm not sure if that made sense, but I agree that one who can heal well needs to know the entire picture, the more that they know the better they can heal. But there is a difference between knowledge and how we practice it.

Labores Luna

Korealia

Distinct Seeker

3,350 Points
  • Treasure Hunter 100
  • Full closet 200
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
PostPosted: Thu Jun 05, 2008 11:41 pm
Faeryselene
... there is a difference between knowledge and how we practice it.

Well said.

.....Practice safe hex? rofl  
PostPosted: Fri Jun 06, 2008 7:56 pm
Hm... in my opinion, if a person knows how to heal someone effectively, then they also know how to hex them, though they may not realize it. A person could easily say that they can heal someone and not hex someone simply because they've never tried to. I'm not saying one SHOULD try it, but most people interested in healing probably haven't had any desire to try hexing.

For example, myself. I've never tried hexing people, but I'd say I have a small understanding of healing magic. And, when I think about it, a few changes could easily make healing into hexing. A thin line perhaps. It seems to be the same type of thing, if you know what I mean. Both healing and hexing are attempting the same thing: to alter someone's physical or emotional state.

Hm.. just thinking out loud. Good topic  

Philod

Skadi-The-Elf

Ruthless Loiterer

17,700 Points
  • Battle: Rogue 100
  • Hellraiser 500
  • Cool Cat 500
PostPosted: Sat Jun 07, 2008 6:28 am
The law of opposites. All things have their opposite that exist in equilibrium. What can kill can also cure, and vice versa. I agree. Though in both cases, healing and hexing should be well thought out for a long time before performing either task.  
PostPosted: Sat Jun 07, 2008 12:42 pm
even if you know how to hex, it doesn't mean you have to. but sometimes, it happens indirectly.
isn't hexing just basically making harm come to a person? in my thinking, if you help a person by healing them (say they had a headache or a backache), and from healing them, they do something they wouldn't have, say, take a late evening drive, and they crash into another person, ultimately you would be responsible because you (may have) made them feel well enough that they decided they could do that. if you had done nothing, they would have stayed home and not had a car accident. and it doesn't have to be a spell, either, you could have given them medicine. so, you have brought the person(s) that was involved in the accident harm by healing another. indirect hexing/cursing, in my mind.
of course, i have pretty twisted thinking so i don't know if this entirely makes sense.

and, you don't have to know how to hex to heal, just how hexing works, and how to undo it.  

mechanical kitsy
Crew

Kawasima

PostPosted: Sat Jun 07, 2008 3:41 pm
xXx kitsy xXx

and, you don't have to know how to hex to heal, just how hexing works, and how to undo it.

Knowing enough about how hexing works to heal involes knowing the whole hexing process process. If you know the process, you could theoreticaly use the process.  
PostPosted: Sat Jun 07, 2008 10:02 pm
Russian Bushido
xXx kitsy xXx

Knowing enough about how hexing works to heal involes knowing the whole hexing process process. If you know the process, you could theoreticaly use the process.

not necessarily. it's like anything. you could know the technicalities of it, but not know how to actually do it. take computers for instance. you could know what connects to what, and how it works, but no nothing or very little of how to put one together.  

mechanical kitsy
Crew

WitchyBoy

2,100 Points
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
  • Flatterer 200
  • Cart Raider 100
PostPosted: Thu Jun 12, 2008 11:29 am
put it this way, im a prett y good healer and have used many techniques to heal and have always looked at both sides and if i so chose to do so i could reek some havoc, never would but could  
PostPosted: Sun Jun 15, 2008 4:30 pm
Waaaait a minute!! As a wiccan, I would never hex anyone. I simply do not know how do, and do not want to. I like to use healing techniques, and they have no relation to "hexing" people. And yes, I know you are saying that if you know how to heal someone, then you know how to kill them. But come on, who doesn't know how to kill someone? Every single human being knows what would kill a person. To me, doing wicca has no relation to hurting a person. You must discard all negative thoughts when healing anyways.

(P.S. I have posted a new lesson in my class in the academy!!)  

Devil_Heart_Cry

Korealia

Distinct Seeker

3,350 Points
  • Treasure Hunter 100
  • Full closet 200
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2008 4:36 am
Beatrice_McDumples
Waaaait a minute!! As a wiccan, I would never hex anyone. I simply do not know how do, and do not want to. I like to use healing techniques, and they have no relation to "hexing" people.

From my understanding, the quote is from 'traditionalist/BTW' teachings. *shrug* The same kind of idea that 'It takes a witch to make a witch', but that's in a different thread somewhere. twisted  
*~Forum~* (general discussion/questions)

Goto Page: 1 2 3 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games