Welcome to Gaia! ::

Craftin' - A sewing, knitting and glue kind of place.

Back to Guilds

Reply Craftin'
Getting new sewing machine+ other things

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

strawberry monochrome

PostPosted: Fri Jun 06, 2008 6:07 pm
So, I have wanted to get a new sewing machine for a while now. . my current one is a Janome, it works good, but doesn't have many 'features' to it like other machines have. Anyways, I wanted my fellow guild members help on finding me a new sewing machine. I don't want to spend more than $500 on the machine itself. I am also looking for other things you would use to properly sew clothing with, if that makes any sense at all o.O All suggestions are welcome!  
PostPosted: Mon Jun 09, 2008 8:54 pm
if you could keep the machine that works good but doesn't have the features, then get yourself a thousand dollar machine instead of a five hundred dollar machine you would love yourself for ever.
one hundred dollars is a cheap machine.
five hundred dollars is a basic good machine that should work for a long time.
but if you want to upgrade and the upgrade isn't an urgent "this machine sucks" need, then go for your dream machine.

Either way, don't buy a machine because some guy on the internet said it was good. Make sure you go into the store and use the machines. Use all the functions it offers. Bother the sales staff, the right machine is a good investment so go in with knowledge.

But I can't have a discussion about sewing machines without mentioning that I love Singer as a brand. It's what my mummy and my grandmummy used and its what I have grown up with.
I wouldn't trust an unknown brand, a brand that is famous for anything but sewing machines or a brand that hasn't been around for at least twenty years.  

Kiyoshi Masamune

kochi~mochi

4,750 Points
  • Peoplewatcher 100
  • Friendly 100
  • First step to fame 200
PostPosted: Mon Jun 09, 2008 9:38 pm
You really just have to look at what you want your sewing machine to be able to do. Make a list of things, and start some research. Figure out a priority list on your list of things you want, and don't settle for something that doesn't have all of them. Don't buy a brand you've never heard of. As the last poster said, you want an established brand. They've had time to work out kinks. Sometimes, you can find a place that has the machines they sell set up for demos. Those are usually the smaller stores, that do mostly repair. I highly recommend finding one of these places, they know their machines and are more then happy to let you try it out. If you bring your list and tell them your budget, generally they'll understand what your looking for and tell you whats simply not plausable on your budget. They'll show you machines you might like, and in my experiance, don't pressure you into buying today.

What are you looking for in a machine? Maybe if we knew what 'more features' were, we could help you out more.  
PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2008 9:40 am
Don't forget to look out for sales from craft stores, and if your not totally opposed to it, You can get really really good machines second hand from dealers. they will have looked it over and tested it to make sure it works as it should. I found one machine that was normally 1,500 dollars selling for 600.  

Aki Yasu

loves_funeral_song

PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2008 2:03 pm
I got quite honestly the cheapest sewing machine that I could, LOL. My mom gave me $100 for my Birthday and I spent $70. It's a Brother machine and as far as I'm concerned, it's a damn good sewing machine! 3nodding But, if I could afford, and once mine wears out (if ever), I'd buy one with a lot more features. Mine works really well for me, and I'm a beginner.

The one I had before that was a piece of crap, though. It was a "Dressmaker II" and it weighed probably two pounds! I bought it for $30 at K-Mart, so you can probably see why I think mine is a major upgrade. sweatdrop  
Craftin'

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games