Welcome to Gaia! ::

The Sims Guild

Back to Guilds

A guild for all things Sims created by Maxis/EA. 

Tags: simulation, god games, story telling, custom, Sims 

Reply Sims Q&A and Help
Why can't I...?

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Contessa Natalya Rubikov

PostPosted: Sat Jun 07, 2008 9:55 am
After I got a new expansion pack for the sims 2 all of my dowloaded data and families got wiped out! Now I can't download anything off the internet... why?  
PostPosted: Sat Jun 07, 2008 3:03 pm
Do you mean the files have gone from the download folder or that they just don't show up in the game any more?
If they have gone from the downloads folder then I don't know what caused it but if they just don't show in your game then you probably need to re-enable custom content.  

Menaceman

Tricky Hoarder

11,450 Points
  • Jack-pot 100
  • Grunny Grabber 50
  • Rebuilder 100

Chikiya

PostPosted: Sun Jun 08, 2008 2:51 pm
Menaceman
Do you mean the files have gone from the download folder or that they just don't show up in the game any more?
If they have gone from the downloads folder then I don't know what caused it but if they just don't show in your game then you probably need to re-enable custom content.
My game always automatically disables custom content after installing a new pack, so this is probably right if this is what you meant.  
PostPosted: Sun Jun 08, 2008 4:22 pm
That is what I meant. Its default game behaviour to disable downloads when you install a new pack. It can get quite annoying.  

Menaceman

Tricky Hoarder

11,450 Points
  • Jack-pot 100
  • Grunny Grabber 50
  • Rebuilder 100

Contessa Natalya Rubikov

PostPosted: Mon Jun 09, 2008 10:15 am
Menaceman
That is what I meant. Its default game behaviour to disable downloads when you install a new pack. It can get quite annoying.

Well I went into the neighborhood menu and went to settings then turned the enable custom content on but it didn't do anything to my knowledge.  
PostPosted: Mon Jun 09, 2008 5:50 pm
Contessa Natalya Rubikov
Menaceman

Well I went into the neighborhood menu and went to settings then turned the enable custom content on but it didn't do anything to my knowledge.

You have to restart the game for the change to take effect. It can't load the content once the game has already started so you have to shut it down and restart.  

Menaceman

Tricky Hoarder

11,450 Points
  • Jack-pot 100
  • Grunny Grabber 50
  • Rebuilder 100

maggoty tacos
Crew

Friendly Regular

7,650 Points
  • Super Tipsy 200
  • Hygienic 200
  • Signature Look 250
PostPosted: Mon Jun 09, 2008 6:32 pm
I had the same-ish problem with Bon Voyage.

What you need to do is, before you install a new EP, take out the entire folder from the EA GamesSims 2 folder in your My Documents.
Put it on the Desktop, or somewhere you won't lose it.

Then install the EP and exit the game if your computer starts it afterwards.
Be sure there are no Sims 2 programs running.

[You can do this by using Task Manager (Press CTRL + ALT + DELETE) and clicking on the 'Processes' tab.]

Then you can put the downloads folder back into your C biggrin ocuments and SettingsMy DocumentsEA GamesThe Sims 2 folder.

When you start the game you should get the prompt to enable/disable Custom Content in your game.
If it is on Disable, you will need to click on Enable and restart the game.

I hope this helps!
gonk

Sims Q&A and Help

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces